IGNORED

My Swing (billchao)

billchao

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think for many it's important that the left-center of the net is set up with the target line. That way you can pull it a little or shank it a lot and it's still into the net.

I think too many people put the middle of the net between themselves and the target line, so they're really just hitting into the right third of the net already. You want to be hitting into about 1/3 from the left side.

So green instead of red?

net1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I think for many it's important that the left-center of the net is set up with the target line. That way you can pull it a little or shank it a lot and it's still into the net.

I think too many people put the middle of the net between themselves and the target line, so they're really just hitting into the right third of the net already. You want to be hitting into about 1/3 from the left side.

Thanks, and that makes sense.  I definitely fall into the category of lining it up to the middle.  I'll update my set-up.  

• Administrator
3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

So green instead of red?

Yeah. And not whatever right of red is, which I see more often than you'd think…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah. And not whatever right of red is, which I see more often than you'd think…

@nevets88 cough cough 😜

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

@nevets88 cough cough 😜

Lol. I did move target line from right to middle. So I need to move it more left. Got it!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a nice day out. Still working with the same feels: clubhead goes up and falls behind me as I sit left in one continuous motion. Still feeling transition as part of my backswing to keep everything fluid.

I'm feeling pretty good about these swings. Wish I could get out and play and see how I do.

Going to keep practicing to maintain my feels but I think I'm about where I want to be with these moves: right elbow higher than left in the backswing, sit left/downhill slide in transition, hand/wrist rotation to shallow out the club so the clubhead doesn't tip out. For anyone wondering about the process or trying to rush things in their own swing, these three pieces took over a year for me to get down.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Take my advice with caution (or not at all 😂) but I like the DTL swing I hate the way you do the drill. The main difference being that with the drill you don’t rotate the hips so what you do is push the elbow in front of your body instead of to the same relation to your body as with the full swing. I have been doing a variation of your drill for the past 2-3 months. The big difference (IMHO) is that my feel and execution is that the elbow is dropped behind the torso not driven in front. 

10 minutes ago, Killa said:

Take my advice with caution (or not at all 😂) but I like the DTL swing I hate the way you do the drill. The main difference being that with the drill you don’t rotate the hips so what you do is push the elbow in front of your body instead of to the same relation to your body as with the full swing. I have been doing a variation of your drill for the past 2-3 months.

I’m not really sure what you’re saying. You and I are different people. The same feels that produce a certain movement in your swing are going to produce a different movement in mine, and vice versa.

12 minutes ago, Killa said:

The big difference (IMHO) is that my feel and execution is that the elbow is dropped behind the torso not driven in front. 

The last thing I want is to feel my right elbow drop behind me. It does that enough as it is, even when it looks like I’m trying to drive it forward, and I’m not feeling it driving forward. I’m not feeling anything in my right elbow at all, it’s just reacting to what my wrists are doing.

If I feel my elbow drop behind my torso, I’ll come into impact like Jim Furyk.

Bill

My Swing Thread

I’m saying that I like this position much better in your swing than in your drill. 

CD4F51EC-C5BF-47AD-ADD9-540A70891A4B.jpeg

12AECA47-0102-4B38-B76C-BBB31EE64A54.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Killa said:

I’m saying that I like this position much better in your swing than in your drill. 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e4c8a34cfc0bbec0

CD4F51EC-C5BF-47AD-ADD9-540A70891A4B.jpeg

12AECA47-0102-4B38-B76C-BBB31EE64A54.jpeg

What you dislike about my rehearsal piece you like in my actual swing? Then you should like the rehearsal piece, being that the exaggerated position in the rehearsal produces the actual position in the swing. I literally can’t hit that ball from that rehearsal position, so it’s relevancy to the swing is almost zero.

I’m not trying to hit the positions I want in my swing during a drill or rehearsal piece. There would be no point because I’d end up doing less of it in the real swing. If I start at X and I want to achieve Y, I need to practice doing Z, so when I add speed to it it will become Y. If I practice doing Y, I’ll end up somewhere between X and Y.

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Finally a nice day out. Still working with the same feels: clubhead goes up and falls behind me as I sit left in one continuous motion. Still feeling transition as part of my backswing to keep everything fluid.

I'm feeling pretty good about these swings. Wish I could get out and play and see how I do.

Going to keep practicing to maintain my feels but I think I'm about where I want to be with these moves: right elbow higher than left in the backswing, sit left/downhill slide in transition, hand/wrist rotation to shallow out the club so the clubhead doesn't tip out. For anyone wondering about the process or trying to rush things in their own swing, these three pieces took over a year for me to get down.

I think your swing looks excellent.👍

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 minutes ago, billchao said:

What you dislike about my rehearsal piece you like in my actual swing? Then you should like the rehearsal piece, being that the exaggerated position in the rehearsal produces the actual position in the swing. I literally can’t hit that ball from that rehearsal position, so it’s relevancy to the swing is almost zero.

I’m not trying to hit the positions I want in my swing during a drill or rehearsal piece. There would be no point because I’d end up doing less of it in the real swing. If I start at X and I want to achieve Y, I need to practice doing Z, so when I add speed to it it will become Y. If I practice doing Y, I’ll end up somewhere between X and Y.

Ok. Whatever. I’m either not getting my point across or you don’t want to understand what I’m trying to say. Either way carry on and I like your swing. 

24 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I think your swing looks excellent.👍

Thanks. Maybe next time I play your course I won’t lose two balls on a par 3 in opposite directions.

15 minutes ago, Killa said:

Ok. Whatever. I’m either not getting my point across or you don’t want to understand what I’m trying to say. Either way carry on and I like your swing. 

Isn’t that the first thing I responded with?

54 minutes ago, billchao said:

I’m not really sure what you’re saying.

I still don’t know what you’re trying to say.

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, Killa said:

So...a successful drill no? Have you seen Justin Rose do his pre-swing ‘drill’? It’s ridiculously exaggerated and an unplayable position.  But as a drill it gets him to where  he wants when it matters..his swing. Yes?

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Finally got to play with the new clubs and I'm very happy with them. The irons definitely get up in the air easier and they're slightly more forgiving. Hit a couple of shots slightly thin that I thought right off the face it wasn't going to reach the green, then watched the ball land on the green and roll through. Missing that buttery pured Mizuno blade contact feeling, though. Oh well.

The driver I'm also pleased with. Hit a couple of big sweepers, but good shots are basically on my line with less than 10 yards of curve. Hit one push. I don't think I'm going to change any settings on it. I don't want to start fading the ball on good shots in an effort to reduce the draw on my misses.

Swing stuff:

Low point control is still an issue. Fat and thin shots. Primary miss is a heeled pull-draw. Think it's time to address my lateral movement in the FO view. Also not doing the shaft laying down move as well while playing, which is expected. Tend to heel the ball more when I feel like I rushed the transition.

Need to feel like I'm staying on my back foot with the driver. That launches the ball up in the air.

Playing again tomorrow. Not going to make any changes, so will be able to get more feedback.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

On 5/2/2020 at 2:29 PM, billchao said:

Low point control is still an issue. Fat and thin shots. Primary miss is a heeled pull-draw. Think it's time to address my lateral movement in the FO view.

I'm not sure the lateral movement is the issue. It's not like I'm not getting my weight forward at times, it's more like I don't have good control over the height of the swing arc at the bottom. Sometimes it comes down a little low and I hit it fat, sometimes it's a little high and I hit it thin. I still don't consistently take divots.

Pull miss doesn't have to be heeled. Definitely hitting them with centered contact, too. It's almost like within my shot zone oval I have two concentrations of shot distribution - a grouping on the far right of the oval and a grouping on the far left of the oval, with very few shots landing in the middle. Come to think of it, I've seen that on some of my Trackman sessions.

All I can do with it right now is to aim far enough right to put my entire shot zone in the safest possible area, where if I hit a great shot I might still miss a green right, but if I pull it, I won't be in too much trouble left. This is the pattern and I shouldn't deviate from it. There have been times these last couple of days where I'll hit three or four pulls in a row, assume that to be a trend, only to the ball dead straight after aiming farther right putting me in trouble on the right side. I don't seem to be hitting the push-fade miss anymore so I can aim a little farther to the right than I'm used to, because when I miss it left, I miss way left. Still annoying to hit a great shot and watch it miss the green right, though.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Bill: consider changing up your grip in some way so that the pattern shifts to one side or the other. It might only be one hand that changes, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, iacas said:

Bill: consider changing up your grip in some way so that the pattern shifts to one side or the other. It might only be one hand that changes, too.

I’ll play around with it a bit. It’s going to be hard to know for certain how it will affect things with driving ranges being closed though. I honestly thought that if I had it fairly neutral I’d be good, but it’s one of those things that has to compliment the rest of what I’m doing, right?

I’ve been looking at Rory’s swing lately. Figured he might be a good model for me because we have similar builds and fast hip rotation. I looked again this morning after reading your comment and never noticed how weak his right hand is.

Bill

My Swing Thread