IGNORED

TST SoCal Winter Outing - Feb. 16, 2014 @ Goose Creek

jefkve
Note: This thread is 3727 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Stay tuned ... we've been pretty consistent with these for the last year or more - having one basically every season - so just look out for our Spring outing coming in April or May (ish).

Plus stay tuned to this: always a chance of a last-minute cancellation.

Or we might just refuse to let @tristanhilton85 play if he keeps making the same stupid swing despite knowing better. ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks @Golfingdad Been itching to play again after leaving GK :D  I need competition.  Playing with myself sucks after a while.  Wait that didn't sound quite right, but you know what I mean.  LOL

Vic aka Ringworld aka Community Director at Greenskeeper.org aka All Around Nice Guy.

I don't expect to play well.

Maybe I can get one of those "haven't played in a long time beginner's luck" rounds

I feel you on this.  I played 2 rounds between 10 December and 1 February.  I spent this last weekend in Phoenix and played twice...IT WAS AWFUL.  Every pitch shot was fat, and I I drove it out of bounds on five consecutive holes.

I did hole out a 7-iron from 175, for my highlight shot of the day.  Of course it was for par.... :doh:

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Or we might just refuse to let @tristanhilton85 play if he keeps making the same stupid swing despite knowing better.

Did I miss something?

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I feel you on this.  I played 2 rounds between 10 December and 1 February.  I spent this last weekend in Phoenix and played twice...IT WAS AWFUL.  Every pitch shot was fat, and I I drove it out of bounds on five consecutive holes.

I did hole out a 7-iron from 175, for my highlight shot of the day.  Of course it was for par....

Lol, wow.  5 consecutive OB drives might be a TST record.

I haven't been driving it horribly, but, yes, fat pitches are something I've been well-acquainted with.

If I change one letter in that sentence, it takes on an entirely different meaning :-P

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Or we might just refuse to let @tristanhilton85 play if he keeps making the same stupid swing despite knowing better.

Did I miss something?

LOL ... shots fired!

• Administrator

Did I miss something?

I don't know. Did you? :-D

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Lihu and hacker101 are coming with their kids, so I put them on the white tees.

Then jefkve is a high enough handicap index that I felt he might want to play the white tees.

If someone wishes to change tees, I'll make the change if it's reasonable (i.e. it would be unreasonable for a single digit to want to play the white tees).

Yeah, I guess I should have looked a little closer at the distribution of handicaps.  You chose the pretty obvious gap.  Though if @bplewis24 can bomb it like @Golfingdad is suggesting (have met both these guys but never been on their team/in their foursome, thus never played with either, and he called me a bomber too and I'd consider myself decently long for an amateur but not a bomber!), I'd prefer you'd chosen single- vs. double-digit as the groups for long vs. short tees so he'd be playing the short tees!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator

Yeah, I guess I should have looked a little closer at the distribution of handicaps.  You chose the pretty obvious gap.  Though if @bplewis24 can bomb it like @Golfingdad is suggesting (have met both these guys but never been on their team/in their foursome, thus never played with either, and he called me a bomber too and I'd consider myself decently long for an amateur but not a bomber!), I'd prefer you'd chosen single- vs. double-digit as the groups for long vs. short tees so he'd be playing the short tees!

The blue tees are only 6500 yards.

Do they have a set farther back than the blues?

Just suggesting that the lower handicaps can make the playing field more fair? B-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Do they have a set farther back than the blues? Just suggesting that the lower handicaps can make the playing field more fair? B-)

No. You want to play the ladies tees? It can probably be arranged. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Do they have a set farther back than the blues?

Just suggesting that the lower handicaps can make the playing field more fair?

No. You want to play the ladies tees? It can probably be arranged. ;)

Good thought. I'm looking at them right now. Just checking if I don't overdrive one of the shorter par 6 holes :-X

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yeah, I guess I should have looked a little closer at the distribution of handicaps.  You chose the pretty obvious gap.  Though if @bplewis24 can bomb it like @Golfingdad is suggesting (have met both these guys but never been on their team/in their foursome, thus never played with either, and he called me a bomber too and I'd consider myself decently long for an amateur but not a bomber!), I'd prefer you'd chosen single- vs. double-digit as the groups for long vs. short tees so he'd be playing the short tees!

Meh, I won't be bombing many drives anytime soon.  Swing just isn't there yet.  Maybe in the summer!  So far through three rounds I think I have a total of 2 good bombed drives.

The blue tees are only 6500 yards.

I know.  It's just if @bplewis24 has a few yards on me and could play from the 400 yards shorter white tees, he could bomb a few par 4s and have mid iron approaches on a couple par 5s with good drives (yes, I've already put together a yardage book/course management notes thing with Google Earth).  For example, the 6th hole is carded at 361 from the blues, but is a dogleg left where even from the blue tees it's 306 to the front edge of the green.  Someone a tad longer than me could easily bomb that green from the white tees.  Then 7 is a (late) dogleg left par 5 marked as 532 from the blue tees but from the whites a bomber could easily carry the fairway bunker and have a 7i or even 8i into the green.  There are a couple more where the yards between blue and white make a difference like that.

Meh, I won't be bombing many drives anytime soon.  Swing just isn't there yet.  Maybe in the summer!  So far through three rounds I think I have a total of 2 good bombed drives.

Haha.  I feel you.  I've been all over the place recently too.  Though the other day I couldn't do anything but hit straight pushes and on the last hole, a 485 yard dogleg left par 5, was just like, "screw it, you're coming from the inside, just yank the face closed ugly and hook it."  Felt like the only time all day I did what I wanted, hit a booming hard draw around the dog leg to the middle of the fairway and had a 6i to the raised green.  Was playing frustrating bogey golf all day but at least I finished with a birdie!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I know.  It's just if @bplewis24 has a few yards on me and could play from the 400 yards shorter white tees, he could bomb a few par 4s and have mid iron approaches on a couple par 5s with good drives (yes, I've already put together a yardage book/course management notes thing with Google Earth).

Love it!!!  You are almost as much of a nerd as I am. :beer:

This course, though, I'm not writing anything down.  I've played there once, so I'm just kind of supplementing my memory with Google Earth numbers. :-P

I know.  It's just if @bplewis24 has a few yards on me and could play from the 400 yards shorter white tees, he could bomb a few par 4s and have mid iron approaches on a couple par 5s with good drives (yes, I've already put together a yardage book/course management notes thing with Google Earth).

Love it!!!  You are almost as much of a nerd as I am.

This course, though, I'm not writing anything down.  I've played there once, so I'm just kind of supplementing my memory with Google Earth numbers.

Dont forget to read tips on greenskeeper, et al....Not thats its going to help me any.

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Love it!!!  You are almost as much of a nerd as I am.

This course, though, I'm not writing anything down.  I've played there once, so I'm just kind of supplementing my memory with Google Earth numbers.

Just keep that in mind when you and your team are wondering how you lost to us.

Note: This thread is 3727 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!