IGNORED

What is your average Driver yardage?

itzzzberny
Note: This thread is 4728 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. How far can you go w/ the Driver on average?

• 75 - 150 yards
    • 151 - 200 yards
    • 201 - 260 yards
    • 261 - 285 yards
    • 286 - 320 yards
    • 321 - or more

I probably average about 220 occasionally getting in the 240-250 range maybe once or twice a round, longest ever being in the 280-285 range but I had help on most of those such as wind, downhill, elevated tee, etc.  The courses I play are usually in the 6000 yard range from the tees I play from so if im hitting my irons decent I can score ok.  If i were playing longer courses I suppose i probably would struggle to make bogeys instead of usually making no worse than bogey on most holes I play with a some pars sprinkled in every few holes.    Most par 4's are under 400 yards with  500 yard par 5's and par 3's usually under 175 yards.    Change that to mostly over 400 yard par 4's,   550 yard par 5's and over 175 yard par 3's and you could definitely add a few strokes to my score.   Most courses that are longer have several sets of tees and Ill play the one closest to 6000 yards as I feel that is a reasonable distance for my level of play and length off the tee. Most of the time around here its usually the 2nd longest set of tees as most courses aren't more than 6500 yards from the longest tees.   Im sure if I went to play at a PGA tour course like Pebble Beach or Augusta National they have many sets of tees to choose from and I could find one I would be comfortable with and allow me to enjoy the experience instead of trying to play longer tees and be frustrated and play poorly.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

Average 250m. That's 270-275yds

In my mizuno.gif Neo Cart Bag or rife.gif Staff Bag on clicgear.gif 2.0 Trolley
 Driver: R11 10.5* |  3W: CB4 15* | adams.gif Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Speaking of lessons  I probably averaged 270 off the tee with it today (3 times).

Brandon

nice! maybe Ill get the same results after a few lessons.

Originally Posted by ThominOH

I had to chuckle that 15% responded with 286+ as an AVERAGE.. I didn't know we had that many PGA tour pros on the forums.. Sweet..  Hi guys..

My new course has a lot of short knockers. They'd probably be surprised how many 10-ish long bombers there are too.

Is Jamie Sadlowski a better player than Luke Donald?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by ThominOH

I had to chuckle that 15% responded with 286+ as an AVERAGE.. I didn't know we had that many PGA tour pros on the forums.. Sweet..  Hi guys..

Funny thing is, though, is that they all are absolutely terrible short game players and putters, because their average handicap here is around 15.  Go figure.

i went through some swing changes over the winter, and my driver distance really suffered at first, getting down to about 240 average.  but the changes have finally took in the past month and i've got back up to my 270 average, although i did just today hit what was the absolute longest drive of my life - with a 25 mph tail wind and fairways that were rolling pretty well, i busted out a drive that was (according to the scorecard/marker yardages) 365 yards long.  it was a 525 yard par 5, and my ball came to rest about 10 yards behind the 150 marker (and then proceeded to hit an 8 iron just past pin-high).  i told my dad who was playing along with me, "a drive and an 8 iron into a par 5.  this must be how dustin johnson feels."

I just played behind two chaps that were long drive competitors......WOW, what a treat it was to see it up close. They were long, very long, STUPID long, "No Fucking Way theyre THAT long, long !!! Both shot 68's

both very nice gentlemen, both had soft hands around the greens and putting was excellent. Yoga everyday, in the gym everyday (and it sure showed) and played at least 3 rounds per week and practiced the other days. 400-440 yds is routine for these guys. One of them crossed 550yds last year in some sanctioned competition. Dobbins is their name. Mike and Joe.

Originally Posted by SoCal Blade

I just played behind two chaps that were long drive competitors......WOW, what a treat it was to see it up close. They were long, very long, STUPID long, "No Fucking Way theyre THAT long, long !!! Both shot 68's

both very nice gentlemen, both had soft hands around the greens and putting was excellent. Yoga everyday, in the gym everyday (and it sure showed) and played at least 3 rounds per week and practiced the other days. 400-440 yds is routine for these guys. One of them crossed 550yds last year in some sanctioned competition. Dobbins is their name. Mike and Joe.

I just looked it up.  Mike Dobbyn is the world record holder for longest drive at 551 yards, doesnt get any longer than that.   Thats as long as 2 of my longest drives put together.    Most courses around here he would only be able to hit irons except on par 5's, he'd go over the green with driver or probably even a fairway wood.

6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge

Originally Posted by caleb7mm

nice! maybe Ill get the same results after a few lessons.

So far (one lesson) my driving is the only thing that has significantly and consistently improved.  I played my first 18-hole round yesterday and hit 64% of fairways (10/14) and 6 of 9 specifically with my driver.  I played from the blue tees for the first time in a while, and averaged 241 with my driver.  That includes a 195 yard duck hook and a shot that went OB that I estimated yardage to the point that it went OB.  Also, the wind was swirling and for most of the holes it felt like it was into me.

So needless to say I was very happy with how I drove it yesterday, as it was my best driving display in a few years if not ever.  Unfortunately, my ball-striking is horrendous as I only hit 16% of GIR despite having great positions & yardage into the green for the majority of the holes.  And THAT is why I'm going back for more lessons :)

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by SouthernILGolfer

I just looked it up.  Mike Dobbyn is the world record holder for longest drive at 551 yards, doesnt get any longer than that.   Thats as long as 2 of my longest drives put together.    Most courses around here he would only be able to hit irons except on par 5's, he'd go over the green with driver or probably even a fairway wood.

But do they actually drive it that long during a round would be my question?  Wouldn't they dial it back a bit and take more controlled swings for actual rounds of golf?  I can't imagine it being any fun if you can only pull your driver out 3-5 times per 18-hole round.

Brandon

I remember on one of the big breaks, the one with all women, they were playing a long par 5.   They brought in Jamie Sadlowski to hit their tee shots for them.  He was hitting tee shots in the fairway,  395-400 yard drives.

I watched those episodes, but I don't recall knowing how far he hit his drives or how many attempts he had at it.

Nevertheless, he was brought on specifically for his long-drive abilities, so I'm not sure he had any choice but to let it rip.

Brandon

Note: This thread is 4728 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!