IGNORED

Should Divots Be Considered Ground Under Repair?

Should divot holes be considered GUR under the Rules of Golf?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Should divot holes be considered GUR under the Rules of Golf?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just an FYI, mate.... I have been around this forum for quite a few years and have been involved in my fair share of debates. I have (or had) the habit of looking for controversial subjects to po

See below for an excerpt from a joint USGA and R&A report on topics not addressed in the 2019 modernization of the Rules. Apparently, the discussion on divot holes was very short, about the length

Two reasons. An embedded ball is in the same rule (16 IIRC) as “abnormal course conditions.” An embedded ball is not a “normal” course condition - it’s conditions that are softer than normal, so

Posted Images

Ditto David and bkuehn.

Also, who cares?  How often can this possibly happen to people that they care that much?  In the last two years, (60 some odd rounds) my ball has come to rest in a divot hole twice.  If it's happening to you too often, you may want to find a slightly better course.

P.S.  I'm not that great, and I don't mean to brag, but both of those times it happened, I was able to hit pretty good shots out of the divot and par the hole.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ditto David and bkuehn. Also, who cares?  How often can this possibly happen to people that they care that much?  In the last two years, (60 some odd rounds) my ball has come to rest in a divot hole twice.  If it's happening to you too often, you may want to find a slightly better course. P.S.  I'm not that great, and I don't mean to brag, but both of those times it happened, I was able to hit pretty good shots out of the divot and par the hole.

I hate you! I probably end up in one every couple of rounds or so! It is what it is though. Part of this silly game.....

I hate you! I probably end up in one every couple of rounds or so! It is what it is though. Part of this silly game.....

Of course, I'm putting 2 and 2 together now ... Maybe it's cuz I miss so many fairways??? ;)

I have heard people say that sand-filled divots should be considered ground under repair. Thoughts?

Ground under repair is addressed by Rule 25 - Abnormal Ground Conditions, Embedded Ball, and Wrong Putting Green.  Divots are none of those, therefore they don't qualify for relief.

sadly at some course divots are so bad people just roll it over. but no they shouldn't be Ground under repair.

Some people seem to believe that golf should be played on a giant tennis court with a gang of 'instant fix' groundstaff.

and

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Ground under repair is addressed by Rule 25 - Abnormal Ground Conditions, Embedded Ball, and Wrong Putting Green.  Divots are none of those, therefore they don't qualify for relief.

If the rules should provide relief for golfers who hit the ball their ball into a sand-filled or non sand-filled divot. Clearly, the current rules don't allow this. Should they? Maybe..

The discussion I was looking to open was more sand-filled vs. non sand-filled. Is there a difference? Some golf industry professionals say yes.

and

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

If the rules should provide relief for golfers who hit the ball their ball into a sand-filled or non sand-filled divot. Clearly, the current rules don't allow this. Should they? Maybe..

The point is that there is nothing "abnormal" about divots (or divot holes, which is what you are actually referring to) on a golf course, sand filled or otherwise - in fact, quite the opposite.  They are a normal and expected part of the game.  As such, I see no reason to think that I should be given relief from them.

Can you tell me the precise moment when a divot, sand-filled or not, has grown in enough that it's no longer a divot?

[quote name="Foursum Golf" url="/t/70984/should-divots-be-considered-ground-under-repair#post_917686"] If the rules should provide relief for golfers who hit the ball their ball into a sand-filled or non sand-filled divot. Clearly, the current rules don't allow this. Should they? Maybe..

Can you tell me the precise moment when a divot, sand-filled or not, has grown in enough that it's no longer a divot?[/quote] Probably immediately after he has taken relief?

• iacas changed the title to Should Divots Be Considered Ground Under Repair?