IGNORED

Why Don't You Take Lessons?

Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And how would you go about finding the right instructor without wasting a bunch of money testing out each one? Is there an interview process in finding out their swing theories?

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/the_instructor_quiz_nine_questions_youve_gotta_ask

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/the_instructor_quiz_nine_questions_youve_gotta_ask

Very interesting read, thanks. Helps clarify some of the confusion out there. So if a potential student approached you with this list, would you address the questions by demonstration?

Great question. It's an interview process so there is potentially some trial/error involved. Don't sign up for multiple lessons without making sure you and your instructor are on the same page. A good place to start is to try to understand what type of student you are and your personal learning style. Are you a "feel" learner " or a "visual" learner? Are you analytical and need lots of data ? Do you have some better golfers that you know? Ask them who they use and why. Find out how they learn and whether the instructors's style sounds like it might work for you. You can find information and teaching philosophies for most of your local teaching pros on their web sites. This should help narrow the list and this doesn't cost a thing. In addition, most good instructors are willing to meet with perspective students to discuss goals and philosophy. The key is to try to find an instructor whose philosophy and teaching style match the way you learn and your goals. Do you want /need a "tune up" or an overhaul? What amount of time "post lesson" are you willing to commit? I think the biggest thing is to be brutally honest with yourself on what you hope to accomplish with lessons and what effort /time/commitment you're willing to invest. Most importantly, don't pay for a multiple lesson plan until you're sure it's the right person for you.

Very interesting read, thanks. Helps clarify some of the confusion out there. So if a potential student approached you with this list, would you address the questions by demonstration?

Based on my experience, good instructors usually have before and after photos and videos, an internet trail that probably hints at teaching methods and beliefs, many years of experience and lots of good word of mouth. But bottom line is there is no better way to find out than to take an actual lesson. And you should improve straight away if it's a live in person lesson. Online, the process is a little longer depending. ymmv.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

In my case, about 2 weeks ago I thought I was hitting ball fairly well at the range, went to play 9 with my Son, and I couldn't seem to hit 2 shots in a row without skulling it. So, I booked a lesson with our own Mike, and Dana at El Dorado in Long Beach. Both of these pro's knew from the get go what some of my problems were, and straightened my out on what to do Right.

The really cool thing was, I had 2 teachers looking at my swing from 2 angles.The one thing I noticed was, they had My best interest at heart. I got a video lesson on the things I need to work on, so I have that forever if I need to fall back on it.

If you are in the So. Cali area, it will be more than worth your time and $$ to see Mike, or Dana, or both..I've had lessons in the past, these guys are second to None. And no, Mike didn't pay me to say this..LOL

Great question. It's an interview process so there is potentially some trial/error involved. Don't sign up for multiple lessons without making sure you and your instructor are on the same page. A good place to start is to try to understand what type of student you are and your personal learning style. Are you a "feel" learner " or a "visual" learner? Are you analytical and need lots of data ? Do you have some better golfers that you know? Ask them who they use and why. Find out how they learn and whether the instructors's style sounds like it might work for you.

This is great advice.  The more active role you take in your lessons by trying to understand what works and doesn't for you from a learning perspective the better off you will be.  You should have high expectations of a coach/instructor and expect them to work with you on a learning and practice plan to reach your goals.  With many instructors you may need to ask for help in creating a plan. If you don't have any goals for your game you need to start right there...

As our database of reviews grows we will be able to help you move from just asking your friends (better golfer or not) about a pro to seeing what many more people think of the different instructor options in your area...

Sure whatever they needed to gain some clarity.  A lot of it is just deconstructing myths that are so common in the golf world.

The really cool thing was, I had 2 teachers looking at my swing from 2 angles.The one thing I noticed was, they had My best interest at heart. I got a video lesson on the things I need to work on, so I have that forever if I need to fall back on it.

If you are in the So. Cali area, it will be more than worth your time and $$ to see Mike, or Dana, or both..I've had lessons in the past, these guys are second to None. And no, Mike didn't pay me to say this..LOL

Appreciate that, it was a pleasure getting to work with you.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

. . .

Ditto this.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I am at the point that I know my swing. that being said I play with a couple of my pros alot and they give me a tune up if asked. I find it helpfull to have a second set of "eyes" check me out from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a read a few posts and I guess I follow along most folks reasoning -- they hit a wall and they need to improve beyond the capability they currently have.

I have a golf pro I use from time to time to help me along.  Mostly though I am thankful I have a golf pro that has given me tools to fix most of my issues.

He kept it simple.  So if all else fails I have a reset button on my swing and it all starts with the set-up.  I get the set-up right then everything else pretty much falls into place.

I guess the biggest positive golf lessons or better still a series of golf lessons is the fact you learn or are mentored by someone who has seen/played the game a lot longer than you.  They may just have the tools to help you fix it and teach you a few tricks in the process.

Vic aka Ringworld aka Community Director at Greenskeeper.org aka All Around Nice Guy.

• 1 year later...

I read this on another site and thought it was relevant enough to post it in this old thread. Lessons with someone who knows what he/she is doing are well worth it!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I would have to add that there are a lot of bad instructors out there, which scares people off too.  I took lessons from one local guy, who was pretty well spoken of and I did not like his methodology.    He had no explanation of why he was telling me to do whatever.  Just do it.  I politely stopped taking lessons from him because he was a nice guy at least.

I did a bunch of reading, studied a lot of info from this site and then went to a clinic with Erik, Dave and James which was much better.  I got lucky.

I have friends that have taken lessons and what they tell me the instructor has them doing is just incomprehensible.

I know I'm bumping an old post but this hits home. I've taken group lessons that seem to make things worse. One guy came up to me during a driver setup and changed 3 things. I could barely hit the ball after that.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

• Administrator

There are a lot of lousy golf instructors out there. I could entertain many here for hours retelling some of the things the golfers I've taught this summer alone have said their old coaches taught them. Here's one, though: "He told me I should play the driver off my back foot." As the guy was a lefty, I asked if the pro was aware of this and wasn't saying "off your left foot" or something like that. "No, it was in person, during a lesson."

:doh:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

She is right....95% of the instructors out there only want to get the money. The other 5% are like Ledbetter or McClain and BIG $$$$.

They have a few things to tell you (that your golfing partners could tell you)

and mess around with a computer for one hour or 1/2 hour then there done with you

they don't really care if you improve or not, you are out of here and someone else

is next. They don't teach you how to do movements they just tell you what you are not doing.

I have been playing for 25 years and taken many lessons hoping I will run across someone

who can really get me playing better, not pro, just better. Through all the lessons I have learned

the golf swing and fix myself after going to the range and grinding it out.

Philip

• Administrator

She is right....95% of the instructors out there only want to get the money. The other 5% are like Ledbetter or McClain and BIG $$$$.

and mess around with a computer for one hour or 1/2 hour then there done with you

they don't really care if you improve or not, you are out of here and someone else

is next. They don't teach you how to do movements they just tell you what you are not doing.

I have been playing for 25 years and taken many lessons hoping I will run across someone

who can really get me playing better, not pro, just better. Through all the lessons I have learned

While I agree that there are a lot of bad golf instructors out there, I disagree with the idea that they're ALL bad. I'm quite good, for example, and make very clear to students what they need to do, how to do it, why, and so on. I care that my students break 100, or 90, or win tournaments, or enjoy the game more.

I also doubt you've really learned the golf swing as much as you believe you have, but that's not your job, either, so no fault there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

While I agree that there are a lot of bad golf instructors out there, I disagree with the idea that they're ALL bad. I'm quite good, for example, and make very clear to students what they need to do, how to do it, why, and so on. I care that my students break 100, or 90, or win tournaments, or enjoy the game more.

I also doubt you've really learned the golf swing as much as you believe you have, but that's not your job, either, so no fault there.

That last line hits the nail on the head for me. Ive never even considered a lesson but have recently decided to look at booking one just to get me swinging better. £18 for a lesson isnt too much if it allows me to enjoy the game.

For some people they have the ability to read a swing book, S&T;, A -Swing or even good old Ben's books, and be able to absorb the info and interperate in a way the can understand it. However, im sure there are more people, like myself, who need someone to say "here, try it like this" or "stand this way".

I learn by copying and doing rather than written instructions.

I believe most instructors are capable of providing good instruction to the beginner or inexperienced golfer after fundementals (well, i hope so anyway)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Philip

I'd think you have a wide spectrum of instructors, not 95% bad. And since there is not that many ways (if you don't make the PGA) to get paid to golf, there is probably a large group that get into it because - well - it's either that or another career.

What I agree with is this:

"They don't teach you how to do movements they just tell you what you are not doing"

But even that can be helpful. I've taken some recent lessons from two different instructors, and when I start to hear the same thing from both I know at least what to work on. The guy I liked best took video of every lesson and send you that video.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!