IGNORED

PING i20 driver a reasonable choice for a high handicapper?

dwade247
Note: This thread is 3813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I do like a smaller club head. I hit my old school driver for a long time before using the 460cc that came with my set. And once my driver broke I started using my 3W. Pretty sure I hit my 3W just as far and just as straight as the driver. I have definitely thought of just sticking with the 3W but with Christmas coming up why not get a new driver. lol

Merry Christmas, :-)

You can always use your 3W a lot more to reduce wear on your new driver, and given you like the smaller head you might actually do better than with your old driver. Also, since you are purchasing this new, if you do break this driver... Ping is great about replacing shafts that break at the hosel (even from heel shots).

Ping is a great company, and I really like their clubs.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have owned both i20 and G20 drivers and I would not recommend the i20. Small sweet spot and not very forgiving. On the contrary, G20 is a great driver.

Get the G20 with the "tour" regular shaft and you will not regret it.

Yes, frequently for myself and a few clients.

When they say "like new" that means new.

Didn't see this before. Sweet! My dad will probably get a driver from there. He likes the X hot and the Rzr fit. I'm guessing you would recommend the X hot for either of us desmond? He has a slow swing speed around 75-80 and needs a senior flex and high loft...guy at Dick's said around 12.5 or 13 degrees. Would you all agree? I'm thinking 10.5 with regular flex for myself.

Do you all play and recommend standard length clubs? I saw online that most pros play with around a 44" shaft but most standard shafts are 45-46". What are your thoughts on that?

I really want to get this driver choice right and have the club for a long time.

So I hit some clubs today. I hit the i20, g20, answer, rocketballz, xhot. G20 killed everything. Hit it longer and straighter with the G20 before hitting all the other clubs then again after hitting the other clubs. Had spin in the low 3k and launch angles around 15-17 degrees with the g20 and answer(second best). G20 also felt amazing.  Teeing the ball lowere seemed to reduce my launch angle and spin more than anything. The staff at golfgalaxy and pga superstore said I was swinging under the ball.

Mr. desmond, I tried the xhot but didn't like how the face of the club curved away so quickly. Did not feel confident with it address.

Unfortunately I didn't get fit today since this would be a Christmas gift and my parents weren't with me. I got a lot of different opinions from people watching me swing. The pga store guy said I could hit a 12 or 10.5 with regular flex while the guy at golf galaxy said 10.5 with a stiff flex. SS still around 95-100. This is all with the g20.

Only downside is I hit everything off the heal of the club with every club I tried. Anyone know why?

So I hit some clubs today. I hit the i20, g20, answer, rocketballz, xhot. G20 killed everything. Hit it longer and straighter with the G20 before hitting all the other clubs then again after hitting the other clubs. Had spin in the low 3k and launch angles around 15-17 degrees with the g20 and answer(second best). G20 also felt amazing.  Teeing the ball lowere seemed to reduce my launch angle and spin more than anything. The staff at golfgalaxy and pga superstore said I was swinging under the ball.  Mr. desmond, I tried the xhot but didn't like how the face of the club curved away so quickly. Did not feel confident with it address. Unfortunately I didn't get fit today since this would be a Christmas gift and my parents weren't with me. I got a lot of different opinions from people watching me swing. The pga store guy said I could hit a 12 or 10.5 with regular flex while the guy at golf galaxy said 10.5 with a stiff flex. SS still around 95-100. This is all with the g20. Only downside is I hit everything off the heal of the club with every club I tried. Anyone know why?

Good you decided on the G20. As I mentioned earlier, I am very happy with my G15. The G20 is a much better club for new players. It has even more weight in the back than the G15. I kind of knew you were hitting off the heel, as I previously mentioned that Ping is great about warranties for heel hitters as I was at one point. I launched 3 club heads this way :-D I don't know why you are doing it, but the reason I was hitting the heel was my path was a severe outside in path and my body was turned to compensate for this. It could also be the shaft. I also changed the shaft to X-stiff about the time I was changing my swing. I did not select x-stiff on purpose. Ping replaced the shaft with the same model and it turned out it was 286 cycles at 46 inches. They might have chosen a stiffer one off the rack because they replaced it two times earlier. In any case, this driver serves me really well now, and never had any heel shots since.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Good you decided on the G20. As I mentioned earlier, I am very happy with my G15. The G20 is a much better club for new players. It has even more weight in the back than the G15.

I kind of knew you were hitting off the heel, as I previously mentioned that Ping is great about warranties for heel hitters as I was at one point. I launched 3 club heads this way

I don't know why you are doing it, but the reason I was hitting the heel was my path was a severe outside in path and my body was turned to compensate for this. It could also be the shaft. I also changed the shaft to X-stiff about the time I was changing my swing. I did not select x-stiff on purpose. Ping replaced the shaft with the same model and it turned out it was 286 cycles at 46 inches. They might have chosen a stiffer one off the rack because they replaced it two times earlier.

In any case, this driver serves me really well now, and never had any heel shots since.

I'm excited about finally finding the club I want. Now I just need to convince myself that a club is worth spending $200. Especially since the superstore had a G10 for $40 which should be good enough till I improve my swing, right? Otherwise I found the G20s on callawaypreowned for $160 but only in their "very good" section (there is a "like new" section). What do you guys think? Has anyone hit the G10?

The staffer at golf galaxy said that my swing was very outside in and that my body was too open at address also.

I'm excited about finally finding the club I want. Now I just need to convince myself that a club is worth spending $200. Especially since the superstore had a G10 for $40 which should be good enough till I improve my swing, right? Otherwise I found the G20s on callawaypreowned for $160 but only in their "very good" section (there is a "like new" section). What do you guys think? Has anyone hit the G10?

The staffer at golf galaxy said that my swing was very outside in and that my body was too open at address also.

Have a look at some Ping drivers here http://www.globalgolf.com/gallery/golfclub/-/ptid--1/bid--20/driver/ping.aspx plus they are a TST sponsor.. :-D

Thanks Hammer4 that's the best price I have found for a G20 yet. Is this site good? Have you used it?

Does anyone have a good site or place to find deals on PING drivers?

I don't think Erik would allow shady sponsors here. Nope haven't bought from them Yet.

Global golf is an awesome place to shop for any golf gear. Used is my favorite area of the site. I also have owned he i20 not very forgiving and bit heavy compared to say a TM RbZ.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I'm excited about finally finding the club I want. Now I just need to convince myself that a club is worth spending $200. Especially since the superstore had a G10 for $40 which should be good enough till I improve my swing, right? Otherwise I found the G20s on callawaypreowned for $160 but only in their "very good" section (there is a "like new" section). What do you guys think? Has anyone hit the G10? The staffer at golf galaxy said that my swing was very outside in and that my body was too open at address also.

I also have a G10, regular shaft 12 degrees. Good club, hits well. I like ping...

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I have not hit the i20 but I think its shorter shaft (45.25") and low trajectory and spin tendency are what has caught my attention. Unfortunately I have heard that it is designed for better golfers and doesn't have the greatest forgiveness. I have been thinking about going for it anyway because I think I can get good enough to hit it well eventually.

I'd say I hit my old driver in the fairway most of the time, but would sometimes pull and sometimes slice it. I probably have a slightly higher slice tendency. While hitting some other drivers, launch monitors have my swing speed at 95-100, launch angle high at 17 or higher, and super high spin rates around 8-9k. I have read online that the high launch angle and spin are do to hitting the ball while still on the downward portion of the swing, but again I plan on improving my swing.

What do you all think, can I "grow" into this club?

I think the i20 is a good driver, awesome when you hit it in the center but will curve more on off center hits compared the G line.  Here's my review http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/ping_i20_driver_review

I would look into the G15 or G20 drivers if you want to save some $ but like the look of PING drivers.

If your spin rate is high, it has more to do with your swing than with the club.  Typically if you have a negative angle of attack, it will launch the ball lower with higher spin rates compared to a shallow AoA which will tend to produce lower spin rates and a higher launch.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Congrats - yes, the G20 is worth it if you have the correct loft.

You could straighten out your swing issues first, and then get better fit for the club. I mean, it's an option. But for $200, that seems a good price.

I've owned lots of Ping product previously, and it is good kit - last Ping I owned was a Rapture V2 - not as forgiving as the G Series, but long. As to the XHot, nice forgiving, light feeling club, but I like the deep face design of the X2Hot a lot more  - can't wait 'till that shows up at preowned early in summer 2014.

Enjoy the driver; work on that swing - lots of good videos here and 5S Keys.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Thanks for all the help guys. I am quite excited about the G20 and it's definitely a better fit for me than the i20. Also excited to get my swing figured out.

Ball position and Shallowing out your swing may be issue with all that spin.

Heel hits? Move away from ball at address, your arms are getting away from your body during the swing, out to in are possibilities - take video and post it.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!