IGNORED

Riddle and Puzzle Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

another  - I have a number in mind.  It's either 1, 2, or 3.  Guess my number - you can ask me one question and I'll answer it 'yes', 'no', or "I don't know"

(goal - find a question that gives you the right answer no matter which number I chose)

Answer:  I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 2.  Is your number greater than the number I'm thinking of?

Responses

Yes = your number is 3

I don't know = your number is 2

No = your number is 1

• 1 month later...
The old rich lady finally died. She hid her fortune of diamonds inside of a cylinder surrounded by 1000 squares. Where is it?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The old rich lady finally died. She hid her fortune of diamonds inside of a cylinder surrounded by 1000 squares. Where is it?

I've been thinking about this all morning.  I was just in the grocery store buying dinner and other sundry items.......

......is it a roll of paper towels?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I've been thinking about this all morning.  I was just in the grocery store buying dinner and other sundry items.......

......is it a roll of paper towels?

Or more likely, toilet paper.

Or more likely, toilet paper.

Damn, you're probably right.  I wasn't buying TP though! :doh:

In David's bag....

[QUOTE name="14ledo81" url="/t/71500/riddle-and-puzzle-thread/144#post_945632"] The old rich lady finally died. She hid her fortune of diamonds inside of a cylinder surrounded by 1000 squares. Where is it?[/QUOTE] I've been thinking about this all morning.  I was just in the grocery store buying dinner and other sundry items....... ......is it a roll of paper towels?

[quote name="tmac20" url="/t/71500/riddle-and-puzzle-thread/120#post_945724"][QUOTE name="David in FL" url="/t/71500/riddle-and-puzzle-thread/144#post_945722"]   I've been thinking about this all morning.  I was just in the grocery store buying dinner and other sundry items....... ......is it a roll of paper towels? [/QUOTE] Or more likely, toilet paper. [/quote] Either one works.. I was thinking TP so Tmac is up.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I'm up? Okay, how about a math puzzle, because I know everyone here loves math.

I am going to prove that 1=2, and you have to tell me why it's wrong.

Let a=b.

So, a 2 =ab.

Add a 2 to both sides of the equation.

a 2 +a 2 =ab+a 2

2a 2 =a 2 +ab

Subtract 2ab from both sides of the equation.

2a 2 -2ab=a 2 +ab-2ab

2a 2 -2ab=a 2 -ab

2 (a 2 -ab) = a 2 -ab

(Since a 2 -ab=a 2 -ab, we can cancel these terms in the equation.)

2=1

I'm up? Okay, how about a math puzzle, because I know everyone here loves math.

I am going to prove that 1=2, and you have to tell me why it's wrong.

Let a=b.

So, a2=ab.

Add a2 to both sides of the equation.

a2+a2=ab+a2

2a2=a2+ab

Subtract 2ab from both sides of the equation.

2a2-2ab=a2+ab-2ab

2a2-2ab=a2-ab

2(a2-ab)=a2-ab

(Since a2-ab=a2-ab, we can cancel these terms in the equation.)

2=1

Once you subtract 2ab from both sides, then both sides become zero. 2 times zero equals 1 times zero.

Good problem.

Next riddle please?! I like this thread. I answer all of the riddles but keep the answers to myself. ( HAR! ) I only know the answers to my own. But at my age I cannot even remember the riddles.

You have a choice of 3 cups, one of which has a diamond underneath it and the other two have nothing.

You choose any one of the cups.

One of the other two cups is turned upside-down to reveal nothing.

Do you stick to your original choice or swap to the other cup to give you the greatest probability of winning the diamond? Explain why. :)

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

• Administrator

You have a choice of 3 cups, one of which has a diamond underneath it and the other two have nothing.

Do you stick to your original choice or swap to the other cup to give you the greatest probability of winning the diamond? Explain why. :)

Paging a famous game show problem… ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

SSshhhhh! ;)

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I find the way you word the question to be odd.  It almost looks like it answers itself.  I think you probably should say:  To give yourself the greatest possibility of winning the diamond, do you stick to your original choice, or swap to the other cup, or does it matter?  Or something like that.  As its written, it sounds like your asking me if I want to keep my choice or have a greater possibility of winning.

I guess that could have multiple answers too.  If I have a clingy girlfriend that keep asking me "when are we gonna get married?" or if I know that the diamond is stolen, then perhaps I'd stick to my original choice. :-P

One which I pushed back against for quite a while.  It just made no sense ... until it finaly made all the sense in the world. :beer:

(Edit I got it wrong)

You choose the other cup, because its still 3 cups, so its now 2/3 chance. If you keep the original its 1/3 because you didn't change anything.

LOL

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Monty, Monty......

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 3020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!