IGNORED

Wood/hybrid for pitch and run?

marvin
Note: This thread is 3773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

While the ball is still actually in contact with the clubface, right?

Exactly.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think he's confusing his pitch shot with his latest round of frisbee golf. The frisbee in that situation will fly with a s-curve motion, allowing for a "cut draw".

3-woods are so big and lethargic  ...

How do you hit a "cut-draw"?

Maybe it's just because he has a lazy, do-nothing, 3-wood, that can't pull its own weight.  He should try feeding it some of Jim Furyk's 5-hour energy drink.

Not to derail this nice OT thing we have going here, but one thing I've noticed in this thread and others is some people have this burning desire to reinvent the wheel around the greens. A toed 5 iron? Way too many weird variables there. I think it's best to get really proficient around the green with 2 or 3 clubs (for me that would be 60*, 50*, and 8 iron). I can cover just about any shot that I need to with those. If something crazy comes along, I can adapt, but you won't see me bellying a wedge or hitting something off the toe (not on purpose at least).

Tyler Martin

I agree with @geauxforbroke .  The only time I have ever used it was when I had a 60 - 70 yard punch shot that I had to keep very low due to the mess I put myself in.  It worked OK, but I would have normally used a short iron for that distance.  I had no choice on this one.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Not to derail this nice OT thing we have going here, but one thing I've noticed in this thread and others is some people have this burning desire to reinvent the wheel around the greens. A toed 5 iron? Way too many weird variables there. I think it's best to get really proficient around the green with 2 or 3 clubs (for me that would be 60*, 50*, and 8 iron). I can cover just about any shot that I need to with those. If something crazy comes along, I can adapt, but you won't see me bellying a wedge or hitting something off the toe (not on purpose at least).

Why the 8 iron?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Why the 8 iron?

More roll out.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Why the 8 iron?

I'm not sure why I like the 8 more than a 9 or a 7. For one, it's my favorite iron in my bag, so I guess I'm inherently more comfortable and confident with it. And for me, if I need something with less loft than an 8, I'll use a putter. There really isn't anything between an 8 and a putter than gives me better results than those two.

Tyler Martin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Why the 8 iron?

I'm not sure why I like the 8 more than a 9 or a 7. For one, it's my favorite iron in my bag, so I guess I'm inherently more comfortable and confident with it. And for me, if I need something with less loft than an 8, I'll use a putter. There really isn't anything between an 8 and a putter than gives me better results than those two.

Thanks.

It's interesting because the 8i is also quickly turning into my most used club as well.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

A few weeks ago I was on the bottom of a very steep 2 tiered green (45* across the slope), 50 feet from the hole, strong wind blowing and the greens were just aerated! Putted with my 19* hybrid and put it 2 feet from the hole. Don't think I could have held the line and distance with my putter. Made me laugh, one of my better putts this year!

Thanks.

It's interesting because the 8i is also quickly turning into my most used club as well.

Probably because the 8-iron is made to be the best club in the bag. At least.. from what I hear.

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/71577/wood-hybrid-for-pitch-and-run/18#post_931065"]   Thanks. It's interesting because the 8i is also quickly turning into my most used club as well. [/QUOTE] Probably because the 8-iron is made to be the best club in the bag. At least.. from what I hear.

Do you actually think the 8 iron in every set is engineered to be the best club in the set? Why on earth would one club be intentionally made better than the others?

Tyler Martin

Do you actually think the 8 iron in every set is engineered to be the best club in the set? Why on earth would one club be intentionally made better than the others?

Duh, of course they are. Wait, you didn't know? All of the big OEM's have a different engineer for each iron ... One for the sand wedge, one for pw, 9 iron, etc, etc. It's common knowledge (well, I thought it was until now) that they all put their best (and usually most senior) engineer in the "8 iron department." (New guys all have to start with 2 irons since they are basically obsolete at this point.) :P

• Upvote 3

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

see:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Duh, of course they are. Wait, you didn't know? All of the big OEM's have a different engineer for each iron ... One for the sand wedge, one for pw, 9 iron, etc, etc. It's common knowledge (well, I thought it was until now) that they all put their best (and usually most senior) engineer in the "8 iron department." (New guys all have to start with 2 irons since they are basically obsolete at this point.) :P

[QUOTE name="Golfingdad" url="/t/71577/wood-hybrid-for-pitch-and-run/18#post_931263"] Duh, of course they are. Wait, you didn't know? All of the big OEM's have a different engineer for each iron ... One for the sand wedge, one for pw, 9 iron, etc, etc. It's common knowledge (well, I thought it was until now) that they all put their best (and usually most senior) engineer in the "8 iron department." (New guys all have to start with 2 irons since they are basically obsolete at this point.) :P[/QUOTE]

Care to elaborate?

Tyler Martin

Care to elaborate?

Just sarcasm. I believe that the 8 iron feels comfortable for a lot of people because, when playing from the proper distance tees, it is a club that is often used for approach shots on par 4's. The club you use most will be the club you're most comfortable with, and also the club in which you have to most good memories to remember. I feel that this is where the majority of the idea that the 8 iron is a better club comes from.

That being said, I do love my 8 iron and my gap wedge for the reason that I stated beforehand. Gap wedge is common on some shorter holes at one course, and 8 iron is a standard approach on a par 4 for me otherwise.

Quote:

Care to elaborate?

Just sarcasm. I believe that the 8 iron feels comfortable for a lot of people because, when playing from the proper distance tees, it is a club that is often used for approach shots on par 4's. The club you use most will be the club you're most comfortable with, and also the club in which you have to most good memories to remember. I feel that this is where the majority of the idea that the 8 iron is a better club comes from.

That being said, I do love my 8 iron and my gap wedge for the reason that I stated beforehand. Gap wedge is common on some shorter holes at one course, and 8 iron is a standard approach on a par 4 for me otherwise.

Thanks @geauxforbroke and @Pretzel . I am quickly finding that this is my most used iron. Just checked, it's the dirtiest club in my bag. :-)

Drew and Kelsey were just joking, tough to see their faces without emoticons.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!