IGNORED

Zack Johnson's Stance

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 3758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

RE: @mvmac 's comment here

http://thesandtrap.com/t/71817/operation-scratch-2014/54#post_937002

I noticed in Zack's stance that his feet are set very open compared to his shoulders and he was hitting a push draw.  On a couple of holes, his feet were aligned to the left edge of the fairway or green (par 3), but his shoulders were set right of where the ball landed.  I can't find a good set up shot, but below is his follow through.  His feet were set aiming at the middle of the tents and his shoulders to the blue area.  The ball started way right and landed where his shoulders were pointed.

On the same holes, Dustin Johnson had the same ball start direction and shoulder set up, but his feet were pointed to the right, where his shoulders were aimed.

I am always slightly confused about my set up and tend to have everything square to where I want the ball to land.  Anyone else notice this?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not an expert, but I believe Zach Johnson is one of those "swing right" players, so maybe the alignment of his feet help keep him from hitting nasty hooks?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I noticed in Zack's stance that his feet are set very open compared to his shoulders and he was hitting a push draw.  On a couple of holes, his feet were aligned to the left edge of the fairway or green (par 3), but his shoulders were set right of where the ball landed.  I can't find a good set up shot, but below is his follow through.  His feet were set aiming at the middle of the tents and his shoulders to the blue area.  The ball started way right and landed where his shoulders were pointed.

Yeah feet are a little left of his hip and shoulder line.  Like I've said before, where your body is aimed is more important than where the feet are, in terms of swing direction.  Sam Snead did the opposite, feet right, shoulders left.  It would seem to make more sense to have the feet, hips and shoulders all parallel to each other but these guys develop little traits after hitting thousands and thousands of balls.

Zach's shoulders and hips are basically square, feet are slightly left and face is right of the target.  Maybe the feet left helps him open the hips enough on the downswing.  He's already got a decent amount of slide, swing direction well OUTward, maybe the feet aimed left helps him neutralize some of that.  His instructor is a big swing out to the right guy.  He might not even know he does this, could be something he figured out through trail and error.

EDIT: Nice post Bill ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks @mvmac

Scott

My Swing Thread

So, would it be safe to assume he may have a negative AOA with the driver, or does he just throw the club that far to the right?  I love his swing BTW.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Love Zach's game and swing, he's been my favorite golfer for awhile now...I also notice how open his feet are. Probably helps him clear his hips more smoothly, since he fires them so hard and quick. Man, his 100 yard wedge shots are second to none...so pretty.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see mvmac's comment about the hips...didn't mean to be redundant. Don't hit me lol

Id say he is one of the best examples of someone who knows what his strengths are and stays within himself.  I think he has one of the best swings on tour and his tempo is so smooth its awesome.  I was wondering what you guys think about his chances at winning another major or even a few more?

Yeah feet are a little left of his hip and shoulder line.  Like I've said before, where your body is aimed is more important than where the feet are, in terms of swing direction.  Sam Snead did the opposite, feet right, shoulders left.  It would seem to make more sense to have the feet, hips and shoulders all parallel to each other but these guys develop little traits after hitting thousands and thousands of balls.

Funny enough, I know this, yet I fail to apply it to myself. I pay so much attention to where my feet are lined up that I tend to neglect where my shoulders end up. I should probably start aiming with my body more.

EDIT: Nice post Bill

Thanks.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Funny enough, I know this, yet I fail to apply it to myself. I pay so much attention to where my feet are lined up that I tend to neglect where my shoulders end up. I should probably start aiming with my body more.

Thanks.

I dunno if this makes any sense but I've been weakening my right hand grip lately and it feels* like it gets my shoulders squared up better and I have been hitting my lines more consistently. I'm only hitting into a net right now so the jury is out but I'm planning a trip to the Dome soon so we'll see what happens. I think I need to reread @iacas ' thread on the grip.

*I say feel because I haven't really done much camera work as of late.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Id say he is one of the best examples of someone who knows what his strengths are and stays within himself.  I think he has one of the best swings on tour and his tempo is so smooth its awesome.  I was wondering what you guys think about his chances at winning another major or even a few more?

The way he has been playing is almost perfect for Augusta, IMHO...if he can keep it up. He wont be able to afford a round 3 like he had last week, but he has been on the money the last few months, so it's totally possible he has another major in him! GO ZACH!!

I wonder if he has the oldest putter to ever win a PGA tourney lol.

So, would it be safe to assume he may have a negative AOA with the driver, or does he just throw the club that far to the right?  I love his swing BTW.

He doesn't create a lot of speed (compared to rest of the tour), so he's gotta be positive, be very surprised if he was hitting down.  Would love to see his Trackman numbers.  I've heard from other instructors that his face is aimed well right at A1 ;-)

Thanks.

Yeah just something to be aware of.  I sometimes see guys with their feet straight or right and the shoulders open, just makes it so much harder if you want to swing OUTward.

I wonder if he has the oldest putter to ever win a PGA tourney lol.

Yeah probably the oldest putter on tour.  Steve Stricker plays with an Odyssey from early 2000's and Webb Simpson has a Craze from a similar time period.

Mike McLoughlin

He doesn't create a lot of speed (compared to rest of the tour), so he's gotta be positive, be very surprised it he was hitting down.

That is what I was wondering. Not easy to set up open have a positive AOA and hit a push draw driver...wow!  I need to learn that one...haha!

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

That is what I was wondering. Not easy to set up open have a positive AOA and hit a push draw driver...wow!  I need to learn that one...haha!

Mike McLoughlin

So essentially Zach is just getting to something like swinging 3 degrees out with  a 1 degree open face relative to the target with a slightly open stance, which in relation to his feet he appears to be swinging out a bit more relative to body lines than James' pattern.

Nate

So essentially Zach is just getting to something like swinging 3 degrees out with  a 1 degree open face relative to the target with a slightly open stance, which in relation to his feet he appears to be swinging out a bit more relative to body lines than James' pattern.

Yeah basically that.  Swing direction might be further out to the right, face also slightly more right.

Mike McLoughlin

Yeah basically that.  Swing direction might be further out to the right, face also slightly more right.

I probably will not be working on that any time soon,  but pretty cool.  Unless you are as quick and consistent with the exit and hips as he is that is a tough one.  Thanks for sharing!

Nate

In this video, James' feet are closed, correct?  I can see how a push draw is accomplished with this set up.  But if I tried to set up like Zack, I think my swing would be out to in because my hips and shoulders would follow my feet.

Scott

My Swing Thread

In this video, James' feet are closed, correct?  I can see how a push draw is accomplished with this set up.  But if I tried to set up like Zack, I think my swing would be out to in because my hips and shoulders would follow my feet.

I believe James' pattern is a slight pull draw.  That is why I was kind of in awe of Zach's positive AOA and a push draw driver, without completely losing the exit.

Nate

Note: This thread is 3758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!