IGNORED

How do you guys feel about this?

SloverUT
Note: This thread is 3719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently read a book (can't remember name, will update later) that basically suggested playing best ball on the course to improve your game.  The basic premise is that you play 3 ball best ball, but instead of having two playing partners, you are the one hitting the three different shots.  After picking the best ball of your three you proceed to hit 3 more shots from the placement of your best shot previously.

Often golfers lack confidence and after they get a few bad shots under their belt they start to crumble, or start off horribly and never regain their composure.

The theory behind this proposed way of playing is to show players that they can actually make the shots required to score low and do have the skill to do so.  In theory a lot of players have the physical and mental capability to shoot low scores but too often lack the focus or confidence to do it consistently playing one ball.

It is suggested to do this over a 9 hole period and to track your numbers to see how often your best shot is your first, second, or third.  I tried this today out on the course and I shot even par (36).  Now I know I was playing the best of three different balls to accomplish this but I do feel like it proved to me that I "can" physically make the shots required to score low, but I have to work on improving my consistency and focus in order to do so.

I am going to continue to do this over the rest of the winter break and compare my stats from round to round.  It will be interesting to see if the number of times I am playing my first shot as my best shot improves any or stays the same.

Anyway, this may have been brought up before, and if so my apologies.  I found it to be an interesting confidence booster and may help those who struggle with confidence on the course.

Jeff

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the course is quiet and you're not holding anybody up I think it's a great confidence booster.

A negative point however would be that if you did it all the time you'd only ever play from your best positions and lies so you wouldn't learn how to play recovery shots as well.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

If the course is quiet and you're not holding anybody up I think it's a great confidence booster.

A negative point however would be that if you did it all the time you'd only ever play from your best positions and lies so you wouldn't learn how to play recovery shots as well.

Well that is true to a point, I suppose.  However, I would be lying if I told you my "best" shot of the three was always a good shot, lol.  I still hit quite a few balls from the rough :)

Jeff

If it's not crowded at  our local courses, I play two balls in from 100 yards all of the time, taking the best of the two.   (If I'm by myself)  It does seem to help with the mental game and helps hone the short game too.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Wouldn't be something I'd be interested in and I doubt it would help me. For me resolve is developed learning how to bounce back from mistakes not pretending they don't exist. If I blow it I learn from it and move on. It may even decide how conservatively or aggressively I approach the next hole. The only time I drop a ball on the course to practice is after holing out around the green if the course is slow and nobody is behind me.

Dave :-)

I heard that playing 2 shots and taking the best is a good way to judge your potential.  It was not stated that one should regularly do this but a couple times a year I will do this when the course is empty.  Frankly, it is reasonably accurate for my game.  My 2 ball scramble typically comes in at par or a shot higher or lower.  Every couple years I have one of those days and shoot even.

Brian Kuehn

I played in a one man scramble several years ago (two shots everywhere) and shot 63. It's amazing how many times you hit a putt then make it the second time. Also gives you the ability to lay up on a par 5, then go for it. Fun format.

Tyler Martin

I recently read a book (can't remember name, will update later) that basically suggested playing best ball on the course to improve your game.  The basic premise is that you play 3 ball best ball, but instead of having two playing partners, you are the one hitting the three different shots.  After picking the best ball of your three you proceed to hit 3 more shots from the placement of your best shot previously.

Three balls seems extreme, just picking up two balls and going to the third for every shot can be time consuming. Not only that, you might tend to get sloppy when only one out of three shots actually count.

Hitting two balls would be better, but I would change the rules to only hitting a second shot if you feel that you can with 90% certainty improve on the results of the first.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

And if you REALLY want to test how your game is progressing (or not) do the same thing with 3 balls, but only play your WORST ball of the 3.

I think you nailed it. I used to do play alone and do the 2 or 3 ball thing, and don't get me wrong it was good practice. After talking to buddy of mine, ''who happens to be scratch'' about the state of my golf game, and what I was working on, and how I was going about fixing whatever needed fixing, he mentioned doing exactly that. He said to play 3 shots, but play the worst of the three, and take the longest putt of the three, that way your learning how to scramble, and building confidence that you can make the shot you were trying to make. I've become a lot better scrambler because of it.

Note: This thread is 3719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!