IGNORED

Taylormade Project (a) Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 3150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'll agree that maybe it isn't a "revolutionary" change to the V1's each year, but they can't stick with what they got for 2 or 3 years while the other guys are tweaking and improving. They wouldn't be able to say in an ad, "Hey- it's the same ball as last year, we'll catch up eventually!", they'd lose market to the "latest and greatest" of the other guys. It seems that the other guys might make a tweak or two to a successful model and re-brand or re-name to appear to have an edge in technology or performance. Titlelist uses it's reputation to sell the V1's to those who can use it (and ESPECIALLY to those who THINK they can!) and want to keep that loyalty from them, Plus they save money by not having to make new hats every year with a new logo or name! :-D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still buried in winter and snow here in Wisconsin. As soon as there is grass to practice on I will be giving these balls a workout.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

I have been comparing the Project A ball with the new Cally SR-1, 2, and Bridgestone B330RXX around the greens for chipping, pitching and putting, but have not used them in a round of golf yet, weather hasn't been cooperating, lots of rain lately.   Feel wise, for chipping and pitching, the Project A has a better feel than either the SR-1 and B330RXS imho.   Seems to be pretty close with the Project A and Cally SR-2.   For 20-30  pitch shots the Project A and SR-2 performed somewhat better than the SR-1 and B330RXS,on damp greens. I was able to test all 4 balls on a launch monitor using a 7 and 6 iron and found the distance of the 4 balls to be fairly close, with a possible slight advantage for the SR-1 and SR-2 over the Project A, but not enough difference to be very significant.  I didn't get a chance to test out the balls with a driver but may at some point soon possibly.  This was my unscientific testing but the swing speed and ball speed on quite a few shots with different balls was pretty close, in fact the same on some swings.  I am a pretty big fan of seamless covers and that is about the only thing I don't care for with the Project A, BUT the performance and Feel of the Project A seems to more than make up for it.  Eventually Taylormade will add a seamless cover most likely, can't be too awfully expensive to do it if Bridgestone can to it on the E series, but the Project A seems to be a winner even  w/o the seamless cover.  Then there is the price factor, BIG in favor of the Project A and evidently the spin has improved over the Rocketballz Urethane.   The Project A ball is going to be very difficult to ignore because of the over all performance and price.

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

Imho, one of the reasons why Titleist has kept the Pro V1 name is very simple.  It has been the top seller since not long after it first came out.  Why change the name when it has been so successful.    Would be stupid to change it since it has been kicking butt in the market place for many years.  The other guys are just trying to come up with something to compete with the juggernaut and they have basically been competing for 2nd place so far, so we see a pattern of the names changing for some time, with the Bridgestone B330 series being an exception, and that ball has probably been selling pretty well for awhile. .  For awhile it looked like the Nike One name was going to stick but something must have went wrong with that.   Taylormade seems to be gaining quite  a bit of ground in the marketplace on golf balls and the Tour Preferred name might stick for awhile if it is successful enough.

Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

Hi guys,
new to the forum and was just researching info about these balls and found this thread.
I just went to a pro shop yesterday and had them ball fit me using the Flightscope.I tried numerous balls and it was between the Titleist Pro V1 & The Taylormade Project (a) Golf Balls. I have to tell you, the feel of the TaylorMade off of the club face was incredible. I also liked that I gained a minimum of 30 yards with my driver..  I hit the ball more consistently, hit it straighter and hit it farther. I paid 27.99 a dozen compared to the Titlelist Pro V1 price of $47.99/ dozen. I can't wait for the weather to break so I can get out and try these balls on the course. I was fitted 2 years ago with my old set of Pings (G20) and was matched with a MaxFli Tour which is now out of production. That ball made a believer out of me when it comes to being properly ball fitted. It also made a big dent in my game. Now with my new Ping i20's I hope to become a more advanced player.
P.S. I looked online and saw the regular price of the Taylormade so I bee lined back to the shop for a second dozen before the price goes up.

Imho, one of the reasons why Titleist has kept the Pro V1 name is very simple.  It has been the top seller since not long after it first came out.  Why change the name when it has been so successful.    Would be stupid to change it since it has been kicking butt in the market place for many years.  The other guys are just trying to come up with something to compete with the juggernaut and they have basically been competing for 2nd place so far, so we see a pattern of the names changing for some time, with the Bridgestone B330 series being an exception, and that ball has probably been selling pretty well for awhile. .  For awhile it looked like the Nike One name was going to stick but something must have went wrong with that.   Taylormade seems to be gaining quite  a bit of ground in the marketplace on golf balls and the Tour Preferred name might stick for awhile if it is successful enough.

The only problem with the Pro V1 is that there's not an easy way to determine the version of the ball.  If you always buy new you could tell by the packaging but if you buy pre-hit or just have a bunch in your bag you can't really tell the difference.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The only problem with the Pro V1 is that there's not an easy way to determine the version of the ball.  If you always buy new you could tell by the packaging but if you buy pre-hit or just have a bunch in your bag you can't really tell the difference.

The side stamp varies from year to year

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I just called Taylormade to see if there are any plans to make the project(a) ball in yellow and was informed, not only are they not making it in yellow, but when the stores sell what they currently have in stock that the ball will no longer be made. It appears in addition to the a Tour Preferred and Tour Preferred X they have added Mypreferred ball which retails for $45.99 vise the $31.99 for the project(a). Most likely the project(a) ball with different stamping and packaging. As a result I'm selling everything I have that is made by Adidas/Taylormade which is just about every golf shirt they have made in the last 3 yrs, five or so pair of shoes and all the clubs made by them. It seems Taylormade Golf has finally started producing new balls about as often as they do Drivers. New one every 3-4 months that is always bigger better and more expensive than the last one... Titleist may update their clubs and balls ONCE a year which is expected but not every 3-4 months like Taylormade has decided to do.... #1 Driver on Tour??? Possibly, but only because they pay these guys to play them... Maybe the pros will start buying their stuff.

That is sad.......I got a sleeve from TMade and I haven't had a chance to try them yet and they are already obsolete! On another note, Callaway quit making the HX Hot ball a couple years ago yet Golfsmith is still selling them for 2doz/$35 When will they run out?

I just called Taylormade to see if there are any plans to make the project(a) ball in yellow and was informed, not only are they not making it in yellow, but when the stores sell what they currently have in stock that the ball will no longer be made. It appears in addition to the a Tour Preferred and Tour Preferred X they have added Mypreferred ball which retails for $45.99 vise the $31.99 for the project(a). Most likely the project(a) ball with different stamping and packaging. As a result I'm selling everything I have that is made by Adidas/Taylormade which is just about every golf shirt they have made in the last 3 yrs, five or so pair of shoes and all the clubs made by them. It seems Taylormade Golf has finally started producing new balls about as often as they do Drivers. New one every 3-4 months that is always bigger better and more expensive than the last one... Titleist may update their clubs and balls ONCE a year which is expected but not every 3-4 months like Taylormade has decided to do.... #1 Driver on Tour??? Possibly, but only because they pay these guys to play them... Maybe the pros will start buying their stuff.

Sorry to hear about this but then again I am not surprised much.   I imagine you are one of quite a few people to be pretty upset about this.   To change the name of the Rocketballz Urethane and charge $2 more a dozen for probably the same ball, and apparently a very temporary name doesn't seem to be the best way to go about things.  This probably explains why they haven't put a seamless cover on the Project A.  The "Mypreferred better be an improved version of the Project A with a seamless cover and other improvements because it will have lost the big price advantage the Project A has and will be competing closely with the other premium balls.   I am glad to have stocked up on about 6 dozen of the Project A balls.   Will definitely want to see what the new ball is all about.

The new MyPreferred have a seamless cover but appear to be the same as the Project(a) and cost $45 per dozen.  Seems the novelty is you can get unique numbers, 99, 88, with them.  Project (a) balls are $31, but even better, stores are selling their Lethal balls for $26 which are probably the same as their new Tour Preferred.

Joe Paradiso

Picked up a sleeve of these a couple days ago. Just chipping at the house they seem pretty nice feeling. Now if the snow decides to disappear I'll be excited to tey these out against the 4 dozen lethals I have

• 4 weeks later...

One of the local golf stores asked a Taylormade Rep about whether the Project A golf ball is going to be around for very long and according the Rep the Project A isn't going to be replaced any time soon, which probably means that it will be around for at least a year, or maybe 2.   Evidently no plans for a  yellow Project A yet,but the Rep wasn't asked that question.

The more I play with the Project (a) ball, the more I like them. My golf ball progression over the past couple of seasons has been Top Flite Gamer -> Srixon Q-Star -> Project (a), and I think the Project (a) is the best of the three. Feels similar off the tee with 3 wood or driver, but I really like the feel when hitting them with an iron. I also like the feel off the putter.

Hopefully they do stick around, because I like to pick a ball and stay with it for at least a season. In fact, I'd probably still be rocking the Gamers but when Dick's bought Top Flight I figured they would ruin them. My buddy still plays them and says he hasn't noticed any change.

Note: This thread is 3150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!