IGNORED

A first - can't install grips - stuck in middle, had to rip off - FIVE of them. Errrrr

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've installed countless Golf Pride Tour Velvets myself w/no problem for ages. Can do it without a vise, just need tape and solvent. Decided to try Zero Friction, thought it would be the same, tried installing 5 grips, each of them got stuck 1/4 way, had to rip them off. Tried no tape, oil, ripped up my hands doing so, put up quite the sweat. As you can see in the photo, the one on the right, clearly wider, is Golf Pride. The Zero Friction is advertised as .600. They're on sale @ Rockbottom Golf. Ya get what ya pay fa so beware if you're thinking of these. Gonna bring it to the local store, see if they can install it. I wonder, if I had an air compressor and that Pure Grips attachment, I could have installed it. Using up all my tape and solvent before I go with Pure Grips. Tape and solvent is getting real old though, might just chuck them. And the Golf Pride grip on the right - slipped right in - took me 30 seconds to complete the install.

tl;dr - Zero Friction - not so aptly named. Friction Galore.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Weird. I get a stubborn grip here and there. Did you use a different tape than usual? Not sure why but some tape is stickier than others no matter how much solvent I use. I bought some cheap tape from DSG and I thought I was going to break the shaft jamming the grips on. Had to get an employee to hold the head end while I pushed them on. It's those days I wish I liked Pure grips.

Dave :-)

Weird. I get a stubborn grip here and there. Did you use a different tape than usual? Not sure why but some tape is stickier than others no matter how much solvent I use. I bought some cheap tape from DSG and I thought I was going to break the shaft jamming the grips on. Had to get an employee to hold the head end while I pushed them on. It's those days I wish I liked Pure grips.

No, same tape that was a cinch w/Golf Pride didn't work with these. Curious to see how the golf shop fares.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Is there a difference between water based solvent and the one that smells like gas? Seems like the less environmentally friendly smelly type is more oily.

Steve

I had the same problem with a set of name brand grips I got at at Rockbottom Golf once and they were junk. I think they were Callaway, but they were so thin you could feel and see the tape lines underneath them. (I use the straight wide tape method). I had to use so much solvent to get them on I got high on it. Never again at RB, I buy them at Golfsmith now.

I always use a compressor to put mine on (GP New Decade).  I use Golfworks solvent and tape and they always were difficult to get on.  I have a ball pump needle on the end of a trigger handle.  I just put the needle in the grip and add a little air.  Works like a charm.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

OK, the teenage kid at the shop said he had no problems, I asked him how he did it, he said "skillz".  Had to prevent my eyes from rolling.

So I thought about it and used the smelly solvent instead of the water based blue solution. Also, the water based solution is supposed to be used w/a specific tape and I was using the more sticky one. And when I was installing it the wrong way, it was during 4am - insomnia, couldn't sleep, let's install some grips - not exactly thinking straight.

Using a vise, a brush to really apply the solvent generously, the grip slipped in easily. I can probably  install it half asleep with the smelly solvent no tools.

Also, I used a hair dryer for the first time and didn't realize how much easier it was for the tape to come off. I look forward to doing these kind of things like I do going to the dentist (I'm handy though - replaced my parents' 40 foot long 6-foot high wood picket fence myself, jackhammers & pouring concrete and all that), so I don't exactly think ahead, but this kid made me figure some things out.

If golf shop kid wasn't so cocky, I would have bought in the rest of my clubs for him to re-grip and lived in blissful ignorance. Hey, thanks kiddo, I'm wiser w/a couple of extra bucks in my pocket. I still don't spend as much time reading up on equipment as I should though.

vs

Steve

Try a soap solution? Heat the grips some?

Golfsmith's smells like gas solvent worked for me. Found this piece on alternatives. Looks like I'm buying an air compressor.

http://golftips.golfsmith.com/common-household-solvents-used-regrip-golf-clubs-1535.html

Steve

definitely - when I put on a grip & sometimes they get stuck halfway on ... a compressor at the ready will allow me to get it on.    Most important thing I've learned is to jam the grip on FAST - as soon as you get the tip started, really jam it on

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I only had trouble getting a grip on one time and it was at the golf course. A friend had the same trouble the OP did and asked me if I could put the grips on for him (right in the parking lot). I didn't think it would be a problem but the first one got stuck. The only difference I could see from what I had always done was that he had a different type of tape than what I always use. He had the kind that comes pre-cut and almost has a clear look to it. Just didn't seem to get as slick as the type I buy that comes in rolls and looks just about like masking tape. After the first one got stuck I told him I would take his clubs home and re-grip them with my tape. Didn't have any problem at all with my grip tape.

Note: This thread is 3677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!