IGNORED

Ball Recommendations Please

Note: This thread is 3680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I will admit it, I am a poser. I have been in the habit of using whatever ball is most popular and has the coolest advertising, or is what the pros are playing.

I am tired of kidding myself, I am probably an average golfer at best and should really be playing a ball that will be most advantagous to my game instead of my ego.

So I would really appreciate some suggestions on the right ball for me and my game.

• I average between 100-120 per round
  • My putting normally saves me.
  • My driver head speed is around 86 mph, ball speed 125 mph, back spin 2600, 192 carry, 219 total
  • Ping 3i head speed 80 mph, ball speed 115 mph, back spin 2224, carry 154, total 198
  • Ping UW, 50 degree, head speed 58 mph, ball speed 84 mph, back spin 6745, 103 carry, 113 total
  • I really play my short irons very well

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

Honestly your Hex Chrome is a great ball. I think it might be too low spinning for you off the driver with your clubhead speed.

Try out the Bridgstone E5  or the Taylormade Rocketballz Urethane. Those would work pretty good as well.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Srixon Qstar or Titleist NXT may be some other options. I do know Srixon made a Zstar called the SL that is designed for slower swing speeds but is still a urethane ball so you get the premium ball benefits, however it's been discontinued which is bad and good news of course it's going away but it's also very cheap like $30.00 a dozen so hurry up.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Titleist Velocity is what I played when my handicap was higher. Still use it when I find one, good ball for the $$. People will claim it doesn't hold greens. Usually not a problem playing squishy muni courses, at least it wasn't here.

Dave :-)

I'd personally stick with the SOLO's and Velocity's

I've hit the SOLO and it's honestly a very good ball....  especially if you do not have great swing speed..

if i could do it, i'd hit SOLO's off the tee and NXT's for my irons...

I've hit all of the Titleist's lol... hit a couple rounds of ball comparison last summer and honestly the biggest difference between the balls is spin ...

So obviously biggest ball spin came from the ProV1's and ProV1x's and then down the line..

off the driver I got the best ( most consistant ) distance from the Solo because it went the straightest..  but even with the V1's and V1x's and such i got similar ( or better ) distance but might of been to the right ( I have a slice when i hit it bad )...

but thats my thoughts on them..

It is what it is

I really like the Nike 20XI balls.  They have 3 models including the XI s with a really soft cover if that's what you're looking for.  The other 2 models, 20XI - X, (tour) and 20XI are both great distance balls with good iron spin rate.  Nice around the greens and off the putter face as well.  At mid-20 dollars a dozen, they seem like a really good value.

Another great mid-priced ball is the Bridgestone E6.  Seems like a good mix of distance and feel.

Lastly, it doesn't seem to hurt as much when you drown a $2 ball compared to a $3-4 Titleist ProV1!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

From a price point perspective ... Bridgestone E6's are great - I used them a lot over the past 2 seasons & I'm really a big fan of the Wilson Staff FG Tours - You can get the x-outs (they call them Blemish's) for 14.99 per dozen & they perform like a $35-40 a dzn ball

Rob

If you have a Dick's close by, you may want to try the Maxfli line of golfballs.  The U2/U3/U4/U6 line are all urethane covers for good touch around the greens.......and, speaking of green, they usually put them on sale.  I have gotten the U2's for $10/doz and the U4x's for $20/doz.  Just recently they had the U3's for $15/dozen.

At those prices they are an exceptional deal!

If you have a Dick's close by, you may want to try the Maxfli line of golfballs.  The U2/U3/U4/U6 line are all urethane covers for good touch around the greens.......and, speaking of green, they usually put them on sale.  I have gotten the U2's for $10/doz and the U4x's for $20/doz.  Just recently they had the U3's for $15/dozen.

At those prices they are an exceptional deal!

Not bad at all, what about the U6's?

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

If you rely on your short shots I would look for a low spin driver ball with a mid-spin urethene cover.  I am an 18 HCP and played the Gamer Tour and RBZ U which helped me save a couple of strokes around the green.  Not sure for 2014, but the TM Project (a) looks interesting.  You may want to skip the urethene and try something like the Top-Flite D2 Feel.  I would stay away from the $4 balls, but don't feel that any rock will work for you because help around the greens will save you strokes.

Here's the thing. Golf balls have gotten really really good with keeping driver spin down.

Here's a typical assumption that can be made. At least from the hot list 2013 golf ball chart of wedge versus driver spin.

All mid and low range golf balls are with in 300-400 rpm of each other off the driver. Except for the Maxfli U/2, which has loads of driver spin. Weird outlier there.

For premium golf balls the spin varies 300-700 rpm depending on the ball. A bit more spread there. Usually depends on how the layers are created and the type of core used.

For wedge spin. Here is were it gets fun. If you do not have a Erethane cover on the ball. Your looking at 4000-6000 rpm for a half wedge shot. This is with a 95 mph driver clubhead speed. So however that gets factored down. Still shows a clear divide between premium and non-premium golf balls. For Eurethane covered golf balls the spread is not nearly as large, 6500-7500 rpm. Really tight area on the graph for Erethane covers.

I don't take these as hard numbers, just trends.

Basically all balls will respond about the same on drivers when it comes to spin. Some might be more boring than others, but typically all golf balls are the same. Give you might find a few extra yards here and there based on matching up your swing with compression of the ball, and other things. Trial and Error sucks.

As for price trends,

No ball spun more than 5500 rpm (less than half) for a $20 dollar golf ball, EXCEPT!!!! for the Maxfli U/2. That sucker is a spin beast for both wedges and driver. I would say that is the best ball for the slowest of swing speeds. Those that need a lot of spin to get maximum carry and stoppage because their club head speed can't produce it.

As for the mid range prices ($21-$35). The wedge spin ranges the whole graph, 4500 to 7500 rpms. Just crazy dispersion. I would say that this price range tries to appeal to every golfer out there.

If you want a low wedge spin ball, Q-star. If you want a mid spin ball; Nike one RZN, Bridgestone E6, NXT tour. If you want a high spin ball; Chrome Hex and Hex+, Taylormade Erethane.

So basically you are looking at a cheap balls being low spin everything. Mid price balls vary by make and model. Erethane golf balls are low driver spin and high wedge spin.

Also, Erethane golf balls will skuff more. I hit some solid wedge shots that leave little bits of cover in the grooves of my irons. If you hit one on a cart path, its pretty much dead. So something to take into consideration.

Personally, and they are on sale now. Callaway Hex Chromes are the best ball on the market. Mid priced golf ball. Soft, great off the tee and around the greens. I played them all last year and had no qualms with them.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!