IGNORED

Social Thread - Chat about Non-Golf Here!

iacas
Note: This thread is 3243 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Crap a leaky fitting for the toilet is damaging the wood floors on the other side of the wall. Plumber won't be here until tomorrow morning. Anything else I should do?

Go to home depot and buy a new fitting to replace that one?  Plumbing is not my bag, but that looks like something I'd be willing to tackle.  Famous last words perhaps?? ;)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What side of the valve is the leak on?  If its on the top side, you can simply shut it off.

The side of the fitting that goes into the wall. Starts spraying if I put a little pressure on it. You can see it spraying to the left.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Quote:

Originally Posted by cipher

Crap a leaky fitting for the toilet is damaging the wood floors on the other side of the wall. Plumber won't be here until tomorrow morning. Anything else I should do?

Go to home depot and buy a new fitting to replace that one?  Plumbing is not my bag, but that looks like something I'd be willing to tackle.  Famous last words perhaps?? ;)

It really is a simple fix.

If you want I can post a video that would help with this.

Gotta keep the wrist flat when turning the wrench.. and no over the top action.. :-D

• Upvote 1

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Crap, a leaky fitting for the toilet is damaging the wood floors on the other side of the wall. Plumber won't be here until tomorrow morning. Anything else I should do?

Post the picture to diychatroom or similar. Lots of handy folks there.

I HATE, hate fixing stuff around the house, that's why I live in an apartment, but I still have to do stuff for family. These DIY chatrooms are a lifesaver.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

What side of the valve is the leak on?  If its on the top side, you can simply shut it off.

The side of the fitting that goes into the wall. Starts spraying if I put a little pressure on it.

What material is the pipe coming out of the wall?  It appears to be CPVC, but it could be painted copper?

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

That is what I am afraid of, "famous last words." ;)

Nate

I passed a convoy of a bunch of these bad boys on the way to work this morning:

Also, saw my "pet" snake again yesterday.  This is only the third time since we've moved in that I've seen him, but I saw him slither into his hole right on our rear slope.  I like him, he eats rats. :)

He's a red coachwhip (that's not actually him, thats a stock photo, but he looks exactly like that) and he's maybe, 5-6 feet long. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

That is what I am afraid of, "famous last words." ;)

Mehh..

Worst case scenario, you have to leave the main off until the plumber gets there.  Fill a few pails for toilet flushing before you get started.

-Matt-

What material is the pipe coming out of the wall?  It appears to be CPVC, but it could be painted copper?

CPVC I think.

Nate

Mehh..

Worst case scenario, you have to leave the main off until the plumber gets there.  Fill a few pails for toilet flushing before you get started.

Oh come on!!!  Don't be a wuss and turn off the main first.  Be daring!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mehh.. Worst case scenario, you have to leave the main off until the plumber gets there.  Fill a few pails for toilet flushing before you get started.

Maybe shut the main off overnight?

Nate

Oh come on!!!  Don't be a wuss and turn off the main first.  Be daring!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, you try it first!

Nate

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Mehh..

Maybe shut the main off overnight?

Give me a few minutes.  I think I can help with this one.

-Matt-

It really is a simple fix. If you want I can post a video that would help with this. Gotta keep the wrist flat when turning the wrench.. and no over the top action..  :-D

Haha, I am afraid will shank it or hook something and smother it.

Nate

Haha, I am afraid will shank it or hook something and smother it.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 5 simple keys to home repair!  I also hear there is a new strategy book coming out called "Least Flooding Wins!" :-P

• Upvote 1

I actually put flooring in my old house. Had to remove the toilet and re-install it. That was pretty easy. With the leak on the wrong side of the fitting I will probably just let the professional handle it. I'll just shut the water off tonight. Thanks guys.

Nate

First off, you definitely have to shut off the main.  Then you will need to drain as much water from the system as possible.  Open up any fixtures on lower floor levels??

The below pic is of a CPVC fixture shut off.  In the picture you posted, it appears there is enough pipe extending through the wall to cut it off close to the existing valve, and glue the new one on.

Use a good quality primer and glue, and wait the appropriate amount of time before you turn the water back on.  Make sure you have the shut off valve in the off position when you turn the main back on.  Also, make sure there is no water dripping out of the pipe when you glue the new one on (this is fairly critical to a proper solvent joint).

When you are at the hardware store, get one of these (see below pic) as well.  It will make your job much easier.

Here is a pic of the two parts together.  The new toilet flex supply has rubber washers in it, so a simple adjustable wrench works.

Or you could try simply tightening the nut (closest to the wall) to the valve body.  I can't guarantee nothing bad will happen if you try this one though.

• Upvote 1

-Matt-

Note: This thread is 3243 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!