IGNORED

Social Thread - Chat about Non-Golf Here!

iacas
Note: This thread is 3238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post

Definitely not worth it over a pair of shoes.

The shooter did not know that it would stop with the shoes though did he?  I think that is the point @CarlSpackler was trying to make.

Quite possibly.

Quote:
"They did have the boxes from the stores that were having the limited-edition sales," Hess told The Associated Press on Tuesday. Police said Jabbar displayed a gun and demanded their merchandise, then the man with the concealed weapon permit pulled out his gun and shot him. No one else was injured.

I would just like to ask the guy in retrospect (not accusatory, but just how he feels about it) if he thinks that perhaps just pointing the gun at the kid and telling him to **** off wouldn't have been the prudent play there.  (I'm assuming for this question that "displayed" means the kid just pulled back his jacket to show that he had one in his waistband but wasn't actually holding it)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I would just like to ask the guy in retrospect (not accusatory, but just how he feels about it) if he thinks that perhaps just pointing the gun at the kid and telling him to **** off wouldn't have been the prudent play there.  (I'm assuming for this question that "displayed" means the kid just pulled back his jacket to show that he had one in his waistband but wasn't actually holding it)

I don't know how he'd answer, but… none of us were there or know how serious he felt the threat was.

Seems like a case of a lawful shooting to me. You're allowed to use lethal force in most states if a felony is being committed.

That's not to say he doesn't regret it, or wish things had gone differently, of course.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

We just had a 63 year old pizza delivery guy get killed in a robbery here in Birmingham. Everybody is mad and sad about it. Tornadoes here. At Christmas. Alabama winters are nuts.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I don't know how he'd answer, but… none of us were there or know how serious he felt the threat was.

Agree 100%.

Seems like a case of a lawful shooting to me. You're allowed to use lethal force in most states if a felony is being committed.

Agree 100%.

That's not to say he doesn't regret it, or wish things had gone differently, of course.

This is all I'm talking about.  I was on a jury where a kid murdered somebody, and it was really an open and shut case, but even with him being deserving of the punishment, the gravity of having somebody else's fate in your hands like that seems a heck of a lot more than 32.2 feet per second.

Even if it's "deserved," I can't imagine the weight of having somebody's death on my hands.

• Administrator

This is all I'm talking about.  I was on a jury where a kid murdered somebody, and it was really an open and shut case, but even with him being deserving of the punishment, the gravity of having somebody else's fate in your hands like that seems a heck of a lot more than 32.2 feet per second.

Okay, but… does it feel like more than 32.2 feet per second squared?!?!

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't disagree that it was a lawful shooting. What I'm saying is, they are a stupid pair of shoes! Shoes for God's sake..... I know it's happened many times before, we've all heard stories of being people shot or beaten and had their shoes stolen. It always seems to be a pair of Jordans too... It's just sickening to me that a pair shoes is worth someone's life. Please don't take this as me condemning the man for what he did, he could very well have feared for his life due to exactly those stories I mentioned. It's just impossible for me to understand how someone could want these shoes so badly they are willing to threaten and/or kill for them. This guy obviously didn't shoot the kid so he could keep his shoes, he did it to preserve his and his friend's life.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator
What I'm saying is, they are a stupid pair of shoes! Shoes for God's sake...

Nobody seems to be debating you on that. I think we all agree that it's stupid.

As with most of these scenarios, I don't know all the facts. I think if someone approaches you with a gun, for whatever reason, and you have one yourself, you pull it and defend yourself instinctively if possible. This kid who got shot had two accomplices with him. There should be more details coming out, but I don't think this guy was defending shoes. He was defending himself against 3 punks who were trying to rob him with a gun. The justice system will now need to decide if he was justified in his actions.

- Shane

As with most of these scenarios, I don't know all the facts. I think if someone approaches you with a gun, for whatever reason, and you have one yourself, you pull it and defend yourself instinctively if possible. This kid who got shot had two accomplices with him. There should be more details coming out, but I don't think this guy was defending shoes. He was defending himself against 3 punks who were trying to rob him with a gun. The justice system will now need to decide if he was justified in his actions.

It does seem like justifiable homicide, but at the very least, Ohio is a "stand your ground" state.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Okay, but… does it feel like more than 32.2 feet per second squared?!?!

**** me, I'm having a rough couple of "math" days. First I used a > sign when I meant <, then I thought something that would measure smaller actually measured bigger, and now this. Good thing I'm not, like, you know, an engineer or something. Colon banana colon. Edit: wtf????

I have no doubt, the robber's lawyers will put a spin on this to make like the robbee was the perp. You point a gun at someone, you face the consequences, no matter what. In this case the risk was not worth the reward for the robbers.

It does seem like justifiable homicide, but at the very least, Ohio is a "stand your ground" state.

I have no doubt, the robber's lawyers will put a spin on this to make like the robbee was the perp. You point a gun at someone, you face the consequences, no matter what. In this case the risk was not worth the reward for the robbers.

It looks like the the biggest issue he will have is that he wasn't supposed to have a gun on him on the mall property. Even with a concealed carry permit, the have it posted that guns are allowed. Others are arguing that is mainly for inside the mall not the parking lot since it is only posted on the doors. Since he had a bag in hand though, clearly he had the gun with him while he was shopping.

- Shane

It looks like the the biggest issue he will have is that he wasn't supposed to have a gun on him on the mall property. Even with a concealed carry permit, the have it posted that guns are allowed. Others are arguing that is mainly for inside the mall not the parking lot since it is only posted on the doors. Since he had a bag in hand though, clearly he had the gun with him while he was shopping.

I am guessing he will pay the fine/charges gladly......because he is still alive to do so....

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I am guessing he will pay the fine/charges gladly......because he is still alive to do so....

Probably. I don't think he is happy (I hope not at least) that he killed this kid. I don't think anyone ever is happy about such things, but it has to stop.

- Shane

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Probably. I don't think he is happy (I hope not at least) that he killed this kid. I don't think anyone ever is happy about such things, but it has to stop.

Absolutely.  I hope my comment did not come off that way.

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

A very odd gathering occurs in my town on Christmas eve. It is a gathering where no women are softly allowed, nor would they probably care to come. Generally 250 souls get out of the house Christmas eve day, as the event is at 10am and is called a Brunch. Its just not a brunch like I always understood, as the town dentist brings this huge ham and some smooth moon, BBQ and various male oriented smoked meats are available and the bar opens at 10am. Its held in a bar-barn that has accumulated the 50 state and world travel momentos of the owning family. The key is just being a good old boy, and getting invited, and getting out of the house the day the ladies are at max Q on holiday pressure. My personal best at the event was to make sure a fellow visiting the university to teach for a year had the full experience. He was a triple PhD from lithuania that was a perfect beatles mimic with a guitar. So naturally I had to introduce him to the potato cannon somebody brought that year.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

And so, I am off to play "Santa".  I am delivering gift baskets around to some of our valued/repeat customers.

Always a good time.

-Matt-

Note: This thread is 3238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!