IGNORED

2014 NCAA Football

saevel25
Note: This thread is 3388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11978459/nebraska-hires-mike-riley-replace-fired-bo-pelini

Nebraska hires Mike Riley out of Oregon State :hmm:

Last 7 seasons Pelini, 66 - 27 70% win percentage

Last 7 seasons Riley, 46 - 42 53% win percentage

In terms of Talent, by Rivals recruiting doesn't look like Oregon State ever really out recruited Nebraska. Though there was never a really huge gap in recruiting.

Basically from what I am hearing they hired him because Riley is basically well liked and respected, and this is not a performance based hire. :hmm: I thought the primary reason why Pelini was fired was because Nebraska was tired of going 9-10 wins and just being out of the hunt for Big Ten Titles.

Not sure if I see the upgrade here. If it is a personality thing, I can understand that. I think you can find a young up and coming coach that is more likable than Pelini. I don't see Riley making that big of a splash in the Big Ten.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11978459/nebraska-hires-mike-riley-replace-fired-bo-pelini

Nebraska hires Mike Riley out of Oregon State

Last 7 seasons Pelini, 66 - 27 70% win percentage

Last 7 seasons Riley, 46 - 42 53% win percentage

In terms of Talent, by Rivals recruiting doesn't look like Oregon State ever really out recruited Nebraska. Though there was never a really huge gap in recruiting.

Basically from what I am hearing they hired him because Riley is basically well liked and respected, and this is not a performance based hire.  I thought the primary reason why Pelini was fired was because Nebraska was tired of going 9-10 wins and just being out of the hunt for Big Ten Titles.

Not sure if I see the upgrade here. If it is a personality thing, I can understand that. I think you can find a young up and coming coach that is more likable than Pelini. I don't see Riley making that big of a splash in the Big Ten.

Riley is very likable.  He might be really good, but has never had much to work with.  Coached the Chargers for a couple of seasons way back when they stunk, I think he coached out in Hawaii for a couple of years after that and then OSU.  This would be the first time he's got the type of program that's already built to succeed, so hopefully he can do well.  I'll root for him.

Also, the guy from Colorado State is heading to Florida.  I don't know anything about that guy though. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11977425/jim-mcelwain-becomes-florida-gators-coach

Riley is very likable.

I was listening to the local ESPN radio broadcast today while I was out and about.   The likable factor was something they kept talking about.   They kept saying he was far more likable than Pelini.    If all other factors were identical (or really close), I might understand choosing him over Pelini but something just doesn't seem right about firing a guy with a real winning record because he hasn't won a conference title and then hiring a guy who is barely above .500...   There almost has to be more to this than the conference title thing..    That, or Nebraska has become as stupid as Michigan was when they fired RichRod just as he was turning the corner with that program.   I won't be surprised if Nebraska isn't looking for a new coach again in 4 years or so too.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

That Nebraska job looks like a real bear for whoever gets it. The Huskers are going to need some guy that can sell ice to Eskimos if they hope to get the quality of recruit they need. After that, you would just hope the salesman knows how to coach football as well.

Put yourself in the position of the average major college football recruit. Why would you pick Nebraska?

Nebraska was such a powerhouse for so many years it was working on being a dynasty, but I heard demographic shifts by players to warmer areas really impacted their recruiting.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

That Nebraska job looks like a real bear for whoever gets it. The Huskers are going to need some guy that can sell ice to Eskimos if they hope to get the quality of recruit they need. After that, you would just hope the salesman knows how to coach football as well.

Put yourself in the position of the average major college football recruit. Why would you pick Nebraska?

What they need to do is sell playing time. Because the best teams have depth in talent. So a lot of good players can get stuck for years behind someone.

Next they need to get some very charismatic assistant coaches. Those are the people that go into the homes and recruit. They need to sell Nebraska as a place that can get you to the NFL, which it can.

Playing time, likable charismatic assistant coaches and pipeline to the NFL.

That should get a lot of quality players to go there with a few elite talents ever year or so. If they get lucky they might compete for NC ever once in a while.

Nebraska was such a powerhouse for so many years it was working on being a dynasty, but I heard demographic shifts by players to warmer areas really impacted their recruiting.

1994 to 1997 they were the dynasty of those years. Undefeated seasons in 3 out of 4 seasons. So it wasn't too long ago. Like any program it takes great leadership to turn talent into brilliance.

Urban said talent will get you 9-10 wins a season, leadership gets you championships. I believe it. There have been teams who have talent and end up losing those 2-3 games. Then there are teams who might not be as talented who make a run, or just refuse to lose some games.

I just don't see Mike Riley as that leadership type of guy. If you want to win at the biggest stage you need an ego-maniac. Someone who can impose their will upon a team and raise them up to the highest levels like, Saban, Meyer, Belichick, ect..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

I think I will practice being a meglomaniac and see what the wife says. Its gotta be good.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

The SEC championship seems to be headed toward an anticlimax. I dont mean to disrespect the opposing team, but the SEC east was not well put together this season, and though the best has risen, the Bammer Hammer is gonna hit in Atlanta this Saturday.

Tom R.

The SEC championship seems to be headed toward an anticlimax. I don't mean to disrespect the opposing team, but the SEC east was not well put together this season, and though the best has risen, the Bammer Hammer is gonna hit in Atlanta this Saturday.

Vegas has Alabama -14.5 points, with the over under being 48 points or so. Vegas is thinking Missouri 17 Alabama 31

By ESPN FPI, Alabama is 26 points above average, and Missouri is 12 points above average. So 14 points is pretty good to team ability differences. Sometimes Vegas goes more with perception. Since both Alabama and Missouri has no tendencies towards being over or under. Missouri does have a pretty decent defense. I don't think they can win a shoot out.

I will go Alabama 27 Missour 21, I am taking the points on this one. Missouri has kept a lot of games close this year.

Vegas has Florida State at -4 with an over/under of 61. So something like Florida State 31, Georgia Tech 28. ESPN has nearly a 6 point difference. Neither of these teams have good defenses. Boston College ran all over FSU. I don't see FSU being able to shut down GT's option offense. Too much ground and pound by GT. This time FSU loses a close one.

Georgia Tech 33 FSU 27

Oregon -14.5 versus Arizona Last time these two teams played Arizona won by 7. Vegas is thinking Oregon 43, Arizona 29, with the over under being 72 points. ESPN has Oregon as a 10 point favorite.

I am going Oregon 35 Arizona 27

Wisconsin -4 versus Ohio State. Vegas is thinking something like Wisconsin 28 Ohio State 24. Ohio State is about a 3.5 edge in ESPN FPI, but they do not have their starting QB, wait I mean their backup starting QB. If there is one thing Urban Meyer is good at is playing the underdog roll. They lost their QB's, they lost a player to suicide, they are a 4 point underdog. They have that sick feeling from last year losing to Michigan Stat. Wisconsin has Melvin Gordon. Their passing attack has regressed from last year. Ohio State has historically held Wisconsin's running attack to season lows. I think Ohio State empties the offensive playbook at Wisconsin. I think they commit 9 guys to the box and forces Wisconsin to pass. I think Gordon breaks maybe 2 big runs, but is held in check most of the night. I see him going for 150-200 yards, but not enough to make up for the lack of a passing attack. Since Ohio State has covered the over in the over under all but two times.

I am going with Ohio State 35 Wisconsin 21

My predictions of the week!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

The GT pick is interesting. I am eating popcorn pulling for AZ. And just this once in my life, for your sake, I hope Urban wins.

Tom R.

Brando is killing me

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

Arizona's offense looks like RichRod is back at Michigan!

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

Vegas has Alabama -14.5 points, with the over under being 48 points or so. Vegas is thinking Missouri 17 Alabama 31

By ESPN FPI, Alabama is 26 points above average, and Missouri is 12 points above average. So 14 points is pretty good to team ability differences. Sometimes Vegas goes more with perception. Since both Alabama and Missouri has no tendencies towards being over or under. Missouri does have a pretty decent defense. I don't think they can win a shoot out.

I will go Alabama 27 Missour 21, I am taking the points on this one. Missouri has kept a lot of games close this year.

Vegas has Florida State at -4 with an over/under of 61. So something like Florida State 31, Georgia Tech 28. ESPN has nearly a 6 point difference. Neither of these teams have good defenses. Boston College ran all over FSU. I don't see FSU being able to shut down GT's option offense. Too much ground and pound by GT. This time FSU loses a close one.

Georgia Tech 33 FSU 27

Oregon -14.5 versus Arizona Last time these two teams played Arizona won by 7. Vegas is thinking Oregon 43, Arizona 29, with the over under being 72 points. ESPN has Oregon as a 10 point favorite.

I am going Oregon 35 Arizona 27

Wisconsin -4 versus Ohio State. Vegas is thinking something like Wisconsin 28 Ohio State 24. Ohio State is about a 3.5 edge in ESPN FPI, but they do not have their starting QB, wait I mean their backup starting QB. If there is one thing Urban Meyer is good at is playing the underdog roll. They lost their QB's, they lost a player to suicide, they are a 4 point underdog. They have that sick feeling from last year losing to Michigan Stat. Wisconsin has Melvin Gordon. Their passing attack has regressed from last year. Ohio State has historically held Wisconsin's running attack to season lows. I think Ohio State empties the offensive playbook at Wisconsin. I think they commit 9 guys to the box and forces Wisconsin to pass. I think Gordon breaks maybe 2 big runs, but is held in check most of the night. I see him going for 150-200 yards, but not enough to make up for the lack of a passing attack. Since Ohio State has covered the over in the over under all but two times.

I am going with Ohio State 35 Wisconsin 21

My predictions of the week!

Wisconsin needs this one badly, but we tend to fold against OSU.  Big game tonight.

Oh yeah.....good luck "forcing" Wisconsin to pass and keeping Gordon to 2 big runs.  Unless of course, you're defining "big" as 70yds.  Then maybe..... :-P

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Wisconsin needs this one badly, but we tend to fold against OSU.  Big game tonight.

Oh yeah.....good luck "forcing" Wisconsin to pass and keeping Gordon to 2 big runs.  Unless of course, you're defining "big" as 70yds.  Then maybe.....

I don't really  mind giving up a 20 yard run here or there.

Ohio State gave up 228 yards to Coleman, they held Coleman to 2 yards or less 15 times. He had only 8 plays of 5 yards or more. If you take away those 52 and 90 yard runs he average 3.44 yards per carry.

That is what I mean  by limiting the big plays. Gordon can get his yards. Still in the end, I am not sure just letting him run will win the game for Wisconsin. In the end all it takes is 3 short runs and then you are punting or kicking field goals. Look at Oregon last night. They had to settle for 3 field goal attempts in their first 3 scoring possessions because they struggled a bit running the ball. Mariota was having a hard time getting into the passing game. If Wisconsin settles for field goals this will not be close.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Go Badgers!!!!!!!

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Not that it matters much at this point, but I heard a slightly different explanation as to why TCU deserves to be ranked higher than Baylor at this point.  It was on yesterday's BS Report, Chuck Klosterman pointed out that neither defense could stop the opposing teams offense.  The final score was 61-58 and was basically one of those "whoever has the ball last" type games.  If the game was 58 minutes TCU would have won.  62 minutes and TCU would have won.  65 minutes and Baylor would have won again.  And so on and so on.

So, one could justify that, for all intents and purposes, it was a tie.  If you want to stipulate that (and I can completely understand if you don't) then you can basically throw that game out and you're now left with one undefeated team and one team that lost once (to West Virgina).

It doesn't currently matter, though, because much will be decided today.

Oregon's got their 2 seed locked up.

Alabama shouldn't have much trouble with Missouri tonight.  (for fun, lets call it 30-10 final)

I'm with @saevel25 that FSU's mediocrity will finally catch up with them tonight and they'll lose to the nerds. (GT: 24, FSU:18)

Unfortunately for Matt, though, I think OSU will fall to Wisconsin.  Odds that their 3rd stringer will also be a star are slim (Badgers: 24, OSU:14)

TCU will roll over ISU, 48-21 and Baylor will force the committee to throw 2 Big-12 teams in there by holding off Kansas State 42-32.

Note: This thread is 3388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!