IGNORED

In the market for a rangefinder any suggestions?

Note: This thread is 3628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been on the hunt for a rangefinder as i will be caddying. I don't want one that shows slope as i may eventually want to use it for tournament play. Any feedback would be of much help.

Bag::ogio: Chamber cart bag

Driver: :tmade: TaylorMade Burner 

3 Wood::adams: Adams Speedline Super S

Hybrid::adams: Adams Idea a3OS Boxer 

Irons: :tmade: TaylorMade Burner Plus 

Wedges::callaway: Forged wedges

Putter::ping: Scottsdale

I use a Leupold GX1, but you won't go wrong with either Leupold or Bushnell. Both are fast, easy, and accurate.
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I second the Leupold GX-1i. Have had mine roughly a year now and have been very pleased with it. Haven't had any experience with any others though, so no comments on them

I have been using a Leupold GX-1 since 2009 and I love it. It is smaller than other rangefinders and gets the job done. I am very happy with it.

Titleist 915D3, 8.5

Titleist 915Fd, 15.0

Ping G10 18.0 hybrid

Mizuno MP-63: 4-PW

Mizuno MP-T5: 5209, 5614, 6010

Scotty Cameron Studio Select, Newport 1.5

Titleist ProV1x

Leupold GX-1 Rangefinder

+4 on the Leupold GX-1.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I use a Leupold GX1, but you won't go wrong with either Leupold or Bushnell. Both are fast, easy, and accurate.

Exactly this.  Just keep in mind that if you are playing in tournaments, a couple of the EVEN NUMBERED Leupolds are actually non-conforming.

The GX2 GX4, I believe, because they have slope measuring capabilities.

But, like David and a few others, I have the GX1 (actually, I have a slightly newer version, the GXi-1) and love it.  The only, teeny, tiny complaint I have is that when you are measuring to a flag that has a prism, if it locks it will beep.  I like to play fast and do whatever I can to get ready to hit while somebody else is hitting.  But I don't want to cause a beep to occur in the middle of their swing.

Anyways, if you're interested, here's a review I wrote up a few months back.  Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
i have the golf logix app on my iphone its the only way to go

Except there might be an issue with the iPhone app for tournament play, which was one of the op's parameters. I don't know the current rulings on smartphone apps.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

I got the Leupold GX3i, what I liked most was the red OLED read out, it just seemed a little more clear to me.

No complaints at all but they do cost more then some of the others.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

I just picked up a Bushnell Tour V3 w/ Pinseeker, really impressed with it was using a Garmin G3 golf sat nav and compared the 2 today was a club difference on some holes.

A little pricey at £269 but worth every penny in my eyes.

• 1 month later...

If you might want a rangefinder with slope technology  the new Leupold GX-4i2 has slope and has been deemed to be Rule 14.3 conforming by the USGA for tournament play and handicap score posting provided the chrome lens plate is attached.

Leupold submitted the GX-4i2 for testing and received approval from the USGA earlier this year.

I contacted the USGA directly to confirm.

The original GX-4i is still non conforming because both the software and hardware needed for slope calculations reside on the rangefinder and the chrome faceplate merely disabled it's slope technology which would still be illegal per Rule 14.3.

The new GX-4i2 has the slope calculating software actually built into a small chip in the "yellow" non-conforming faceplate and no longer in the rangefinder.

The USGA ruled this is similar to it's approving of a smartphone that can be used as a DMD (distance measuring device) only provided it has no installed software capable of calculating slope.

That's a very slick solution!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!