IGNORED

When will tour players call out Keegan Bradley?

Monte the Bear
Note: This thread is 3579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When you address the clubhead behind the ball you push down the grass. Is this considered as changing the lie of the ball or not?

If you reduce the amount of grass sticking up behind the ball, so that there'll be less grass between the clubface and the ball, them that's improving your lie.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you reduce the amount of grass sticking up behind the ball, so that there'll be less grass between the clubface and the ball, them that's improving your lie.

And how do you address the ball then? Hover above the grass or just place the clubhead behind the ball so there is still the grass in between?

And how do you address the ball then? Hover above the grass or just place the clubhead behind the ball so there is still the grass in between?

If you're in the fairway, then no issues since there's not really any grass sticking up. If you're in the rough then you'd better not push down any grass directly behind the ball.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Post a video, or I'm inclined to side with @David in FL in this case.

How do I post a video if one does not exist!!

You have to watch the guy in the rough and that is down to the vagaries of the US networks, if you don't follow him around the course.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

You have to watch the guy in the rough and that is down to the vagaries of the US networks, if you don't follow him around the course.

Funny you mention this. I followed him, Kuchar and Woodland for a little more than an hour last month. Didn't really see anything out of the ordinary. He was in the rough (trees, near bunkers, etc.), more than once.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

13-2 . Improving Lie, Area Of Intended Stance Or Swing, Or Line Of Play

A player must not improve or allow to be improved:

• the position or lie of his ball ,
  • the area of his intended Stance or swing,
  • his Line Of Play or a reasonable extension of that line beyond the Hole , or
  • the area in which he is to drop or place a ball,

by any of the following actions:

• pressing a club on the ground,
  • moving, bending or breaking anything growing or fixed (including immovable Obstructions and objects defining Out Of Bounds ),
  • creating or eliminating irregularities of surface,
  • removing or pressing down sand, loose soil, replaced divots or other cut turf placed in position, or
  • removing dew, frost or water.

However, the player incurs no penalty if the action occurs:

As long as you don't press the club down, you are allowed to put it down behind the ball in the rough. The issue in this thread, is that players repeat this process 4-5 times and potentially improving the lie a little each time. I would like to see a comment on this from the USGA. If there are no rules to prohibit you from doing it 5 times, can you do it 10 times? 15? You don't even have to walk back and forth like Keegan. You can address the ball, step back, address it again, etc.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator

Just record it. That way we can see the actions that prompted the comments (and hear the comments too).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A look at PGA Tour Stats reveals the difference that seperates the top ten players amoung scoring average is less than one stroke. Any measure they can take, within the rules, will keep them one step ahead of the rest. Hence addressing the ball in the rough with unforeseen intent of pushing down grass to separate from ball. Heck, how many players mark their ball on green in a questionable manner.

Note: This thread is 3579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!