IGNORED

2014 Masters Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since 2001 the Masters has been somewhat of a Tiger/ Phil Show. Not this year WIth TIger out and Phil's health questionable this proves to be a rather weak field. If Rory can keep his mind on golf instead of his girl friend I would say he could shred this field.

• Administrator

Since 2001 the Masters has been somewhat of a Tiger/ Phil Show. Not this year WIth TIger out and Phil's health questionable this proves to be a rather weak field. If Rory can keep his mind on golf instead of his girl friend I would say he could shred this field.

It's always a pretty weak field. Weakest of the four majors. Even with 20 PGA club pros, the PGA is the strongest.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's always a pretty weak field. Weakest of the four majors. Even with 20 PGA club pros, the PGA is the strongest.

Thats because of the Amateurs, The Masters is all about the Amateurs and I think thats great. But it probably lowers the strength of the fields.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Really enjoying the press conferences.  I'm more of a Stenson fan than I was before.  That was a good interview.  I just hadn't heard much from him before.  Funny guy.

Thats because of the Amateurs, The Masters is all about the Amateurs and I think thats great. But it probably lowers the strength of the fields.

No, I think it's the old farts. Both Opens have am champs. There are a fair number of recent PGA winners in the field this year who are outside the top 50 so this years field may be stronger than most.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

No, I think it's the old farts. Both Opens have am champs. There are a fair number of recent PGA winners in the field this year who are outside the top 50 so this years field may be stronger than most.

You are correct.  The Masters really highlights the Amateurs, but it's the classic guys that take up some spots. (Stadler, Lyle, Woosnam, Mize).  I'm not saying that's a bad thing though.  I think the lifetime invitation is one of the awesome aspects of the tournament.

You are correct.  The Masters really highlights the Amateurs, but it's the classic guys that take up some spots. (Stadler, Lyle, Woosnam, Mize).  I'm not saying that's a bad thing though.  I think the lifetime invitation is one of the awesome aspects of the tournament.

Well, at least until you get a letter...... ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator

Sorry, but I don't follow.  Huh?

The letter from Augusta National suggesting your day has passed and that you should not actually play the tournament itself.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sorry, but I don't follow.  Huh?

Not too long ago, old time winners continued to play in the Masters until they were physically unable. I recall watching Doug Ford shot his usual 88-90 at the Masters back in the 1990s....and watch him struggle up the hill on the 18th hole. Thought it was kind of waste of a spot when a younger golfer could be playing in his place and actually competing.   So Augusta National started to politely request the older winners not to actually play - guess they gave them the Par 3 instead. That's what the "letter" is all about.

The letter from Augusta National suggesting your day has passed and that you should not actually play the tournament itself.

I don't think that happens very often though.  Most of these guys know when to hang it up.  It obviously depends on their popularity.  Palmer, Nicklaus, and Player never got a letter. I can guarantee that.  Charles Coody, yea probably.

http://www.masters.com/en_US/news/photos/gallery.html?promo=feature

Good pics from Augusta National today if you didn't know about Masters.com

Here's a link to the groupings for Rd 1 and 2.

http://www.masters.com/en_US/players/pairings/index.html

I don't think that happens very often though.  Most of these guys know when to hang it up.  It obviously depends on their popularity.  Palmer, Nicklaus, and Player never got a letter. I can guarantee that.  Charles Coody, yea probably.

They got their letters - I remember clearly the year that it happened and it didn't necessarily go over easy. There were some hurt feelings about it.

Not too long ago, old time winners continued to play in the Masters until they were physically unable. I recall watching Doug Ford shot his usual 88-90 at the Masters back in the 1990s....and watch him struggle up the hill on the 18th hole. Thought it was kind of waste of a spot when a younger golfer could be playing in his place and actually competing.   So Augusta National started to politely request the older winners not to actually play - guess they gave them the Par 3 instead. That's what the "letter" is all about.

They got their letters - I remember clearly the year that it happened and it didn't necessarily go over easy. There were some hurt feelings about it.

How in the world would you know that?  And what year did that supposedly happen?

How in the world would you know that?  And what year did that supposedly happen?

Not like it was a secret.  Happened in 2002, when Hootie was Chairman.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I lived in Augusta during the time.  I read the papers -you'll probably find something in the Augusta Chronicle archives.

• Administrator

Thought it was kind of waste of a spot when a younger golfer could be playing in his place and actually competing.

It's not a waste of a spot. The Masters doesn't cap the size of the field. They've never turned away someone who otherwise qualified because some former champion "took their spot."

You either qualify or you don't. They don't take #51 in the OWGR if a former champ withdraws. The field size simply shrinks by one.

Note: This thread is 3664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!