IGNORED

Would you rather

Prodigy
Note: This thread is 5846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. would you rather

• hit every green in regulation
    • or make every putt

GRI, If your on the green you are most likely using the club that is in your hand on every single hole, unless you chip in, hole out from the fairway or by some miracle, hole out from the tee (aka: hole in one, I don't have one of them yet and have been golfing to 10 years)

What's In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 425CC with 65 REAX (Co-designed by Fujikura) Mid Tip Stiff Flex
3-wood: Admas Tight Lies Tour Model 15* with Proforce V2 stiff flex Made by UST
Irons: Mizzuno GRADS MP (3-PW) S300 shafts (soon to be Project X Rifle shafts)
Wedges: 52 (standard bounce), 56* (standard bounce) & 58* (low bounce) CG12 black pearl
Putter: 34" Odyssey White Steel 2 Ball SRT Putter
What's In my bag:

Driver: R7 425CC 9.5° with 65 REAX (Co-designed by Fujikura) Mid Tip Stiff Flex

3-wood: Tight Lies Tour Model 15° with Proforce V2 stiff flex Made by UST Irons: GRADS MP (3-PW) Rifle Flighted ShaftsWedges: 52° (standard bounce), 56° (standard bounce) & 58° (low bounce)...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MAKE EVERY PUTT! If I don't hit the green in reg., I'm pretty sure I would find it on the next stroke, and a one putt would mean par. If I do reach a green in reg. then I'm garuanteed a birdie, which would mean a sub-par round. I've never broken par in my life on an 18 hole round.

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

Hit every green in regulation for sure, where my games at now personally, the wedges I hit are fairly easy and I love second and third shots from 100 yards in, and putting is the weakest part of my game.
In the Bag:
Driver:Exotics XLD 10.5° Standard-Flex
Woods: Acuity Turbo Max
Hybrids: Acuity Turbo Max
Irons: Acuity Turbo MaxWedges: Acuity Turbo MaxPutter: X3 Double Milled 1200Shoes: Walter Hagen Tour StopGlove: Walter Hagen CadetBall:Tiger Shark Attack Life 4 - Distance
WeeT's "home...

• Administrator
Hit every green in regulation for sure, where my games at now personally, the wedges I hit are fairly easy and I love second and third shots from 100 yards in, and putting is the weakest part of my game.

That doesn't make any sense. I think you chose the opposite one you wanted to choose.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That doesn't make any sense. I think you chose the opposite one you wanted to choose.

agreed...wouldn't you want to hit every putt if putting is the weak part of your game?
In the bag:

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto stiff shaft
Woods: Burner 15* 3 Wood w/ Fujikura, stiffHybrid: 503H w/ Aldila NV, stiffIrons: 755 3-9 w/ Project X 5.5 shaftsPitching Wedge: MP-T 47*Gap Wedge: MP-T 51*Sand Wedge: MP-T 56*Putter: Rossa SienaBall: Laddie/Laddie...

I understand, but the thing for me is, the closer the approach, the shorter the putt. If im already garunteed 2-3 sometimes 4 putts a green, a GIR would save me a stroke or two.

Edit: If it's a par 4, and i hit a halfway decent drive and get it on in 3, which is sometimes the case, that's a GIR. If it takes me 4 to get on, plus 2-3 putts, thats a double boug as opposed to a boug or par.
In the Bag:
Driver:Exotics XLD 10.5° Standard-Flex
Woods: Acuity Turbo Max
Hybrids: Acuity Turbo Max
Irons: Acuity Turbo MaxWedges: Acuity Turbo MaxPutter: X3 Double Milled 1200Shoes: Walter Hagen Tour StopGlove: Walter Hagen CadetBall:Tiger Shark Attack Life 4 - Distance
WeeT's "home...

• 1 month later...
I chose G.I.R., but either way I would shoot virtually the same. A quick check with my Scorecrd statistics shows that over my last 5 rounds I hit a paltry 4.32 greens on average and take 35.33 putts. My average score is 87.6 over the same span...so if I one-putted every hole, I would shoot an average of 70.6. 2 of the courses I played those rounds on are par 70 and 2 are par 72, so averaging 70.6 would pretty much be par.For all intents and purposes, I average 2 putts per hole. So, if I hit every G.I.R., I would pretty much average par.

Now that I look at it a little closer I think I would prefer to make every putt. The potential to go really low is much higher. A couple of rounds ago I hit 7 greens, but still took exactly 35 putts and shot an 85. If I had made every putt, I would have shot 68, or -4. Had I hit every green, I would have shot even par 72...seems pretty clear.

Time to go work on my putting...I think this post just convinced me I need a Z-Factor more than a new hybrid.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

So you miss every green, but chip it on the green and hole every putt = level par
you hit every green, but miss every putt = level par

Either way you shoot the same score.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

So you miss every green, but chip it on the green and hole every putt = level par

Why would you assume that you would miss every green or miss every first putt? The more greens hit, the larger the advantage for the "make every putt" option.

Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

• Administrator

Not if you three-putt because every GIR you hit leaves you with the trickiest of putts.

One-putting is more of a guarantee than "hitting every green" is.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I went with hitting every green. I am a very good putter and rarely three-putt. So If I was to hit every green, I like my chances of making par and mixing in a few birdies. Making every putt would be nice, but what if it took 4-5 shots to get on the green?

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

• Administrator
I went with hitting every green. I am a very good putter and rarely three-putt. So If I was to hit every green, I like my chances of making par and mixing in a few birdies. Making every putt would be nice, but what if it took 4-5 shots to get on the green?

You're a 7 handicap. How many greens in regulation do you hit in a round of golf? Six to eight? That's -6 to -8 right there.

How many greens do you really take four to five shots to get on? All you'd have to do is get near the green in regulation, chip it ANYWHERE onto the green, and you'd have your other 12 pars.

Not if you three-putt because every GIR you hit leaves you with the trickiest of putts.

Very True. I had rather have the one putt in my bag. You should give some of the RTJ courses a shot. You can be on the GIR, but you still might be in the zip code of the neighboring city.....

Make every putt....

You have less one putts then GIRs because its much harder to put the ball into a 3" hole then landing it on a 20' wide patch of grass.

Even if you hit every GIR, with nearly 1.7 putts per GIR on the PGA from the best player with this stat last year, that is still almost 31 putts per round.

If 2.0 putts per GIR is the par, you are making par 85% of the time and birdie or better 15% of the time.

Just for refrence, the best for GIR (Tiger) hit 71% of the greens last year, thats 12.78 greens per round. That leave 5.22 greens missed, so if he also hit those 5 green as well , he still only has a 15% chance for a 1 putt, he would only make up 0.78 putts out of those 5 holes he missed the green on, so not even a stroke for hitting 5 more greens. If fact you would have to hit 6-7 more greens to make up a stroke if you only one putted 15% of the GIRs. Where as one additional putt made from say 15-25 feet would do more then hitting 6 more greens.

if you were playing in a scramble, making every putt would come in handy!

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

• Administrator
well i hate to get technical here but if you could make every putt then i would always putt from the tee box and only get hole in ones!

Putts can only be struck from the putting surface. That's the definition of a "putt," statistically.

Nice try, though...

Hitting greens is more sexy, but making every putt is just more clutch.

The more I play this game, the more I realize how important putting (and short game) is.

All things being equal, I would much rather make every putt. At the very least, good putters mess with people's heads more than anything.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 5846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!