IGNORED

Do You Have Concealed Carry Permit...

DoubleEagle
Note:Β This thread is 2401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

That is, if a state I visit has laws for their citizens, those citizens must follow the state law, but I can follow Indiana law when in that state.

That's fascinating.Β  I would have just assumed that state laws in regards to guns would apply to all people in that state, not just local residents.Β  It seems like a serious enough issue that they wouldn't want it to be easy for people to circumvent their laws by just claiming residence somewhere else.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's fascinating.Β  I would have just assumed that state laws in regards to guns would apply to all people in that state, not just local residents.Β  It seems like a serious enough issue that they wouldn't want it to be easy for people to circumvent their laws by just claiming residence somewhere else.

They do apply to all those in the state. If a state say's no conceal carry and that state doesn't recognize another states law, then you are NOT allowed to conceal carry a gun.

Now some states will only offer conceal carry to residents. Some will offer to both residence and non-residence.

The states in red do not recognize Ohio's conceal carry law. If that state is one were they can only offer conceal carry to a resident, then you are out of luck if you are from Ohio.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

When I recently went to a buddies house in TN, I called the State Police first. Β Told them I had Indiana permit. Β They said, and I quote " Your laws are our laws while you are here ". Β But they also added, of course, for me to be mindful of my surroundings. Β And that open carry could lead to a misunderstanding that could get me shot by a rookie local LEO who does not necessarily understand all the inner workings of permits from state to state. Β I assured them that I was aware of such situations, and thanked them for their concern. Β They said they were happy to have me visit and hoped I had a good time in their beautiful state.

They do apply to all those in the state. If a state say's no conceal carry and that state doesn't recognize another states law, then you are NOT allowed to conceal carry a gun.

Now some states will only offer conceal carry to residents. Some will offer to both residence and non-residence.

The states in red do not recognize Ohio's conceal carry law. If that state is one were they can only offer conceal carry to a resident, then you are out of luck if you are from Ohio.

I went to SC last month. Β SC is not reciprocal with Indiana. Β I was allowed to have my weapon in the car and could put it in luggage when I walked from my car to my beach rental (which is officially my temporary residence) but I was not allowed to carry the weapon on my person in any form out in public. Β SC has mandatory training in order to secure a permit. Β Indiana does not. Β Thus, SC will not recognize an Indiana permit to carry. Β I was okay with it loaded in my vehicle center console as long as it was hidden. Β It was okay loaded in my luggage. Β I just could not walk the streets with it on me. Β The also asked me to please notify any LEO, if I was pulled over, that I had a valid CCW from Indiana and that the weapon was loaded and in my center console. Β I thought this to be perfectly agreeable.

When I recently went to a buddies house in TN, I called the State Police first. Β Told them I had Indiana permit. Β They said, and I quote " Your laws are our laws while you are here ". Β But they also added, of course, for me to be mindful of my surroundings. Β And that open carry could lead to a misunderstanding that could get me shot by a rookie local LEO who does not necessarily understand all the inner workings of permits from state to state. Β I assured them that I was aware of such situations, and thanked them for their concern. Β They said they were happy to have me visit and hoped I had a good time in their beautiful state.

Yeah, I went and did some more research (as much as you could call wikipedia research ;)) and they had this map:

Looks like there are 29 states that recognize your laws.Β  I also learned that every state (at least technically) now has some form of legal concealed carry laws.Β  From what I read, they vary from being very difficult to obtain (Calfornia andΒ New York metro areas, Hawaii) to not even needing a permit at all (Arizona, Alaska, Arkansas, Vermont).

Also learned a little bit about "brandishing" and "printing."

You are correct, sort of. :-) You cannot just claim residency from somewhere else. Β Believe you me, they will want to see your permit! Β It is not in what you claim, it is the paperwork in your wallet or gun case!! Β And for the other point, it IS all the people in that state IF they are residents of that state. Β Just because I am there, it does not mean legally that I am "in that state". Β It depends on the state in which the permit was issued. Β I know that sounds kinda funky in a way. Β Legal stuff you must get a handle on before you assume anything and or act on your own kinda stuff. Β A totally legal, upstanding, Eagle Scout, ex Federal Special Agent, who volunteers at the soup kitchen three days a week when they are not rescuing kittens and reading books to the blind elderly, can find themselves detained pretty darn quick if they don't know the local and state laws when it comes to firearms! Β Especially when you are dealing with the Sheriff's Dept.. Β The Sheriff is THE highest ranking law enforcement officer in the county in which he was elected and serves, not matter what other LEO, Federal or otherwise, is in the Sheriff's jurisdiction. Β Just threw that in there as an extra bit of info. Β Sorry for rambling.

Yeah, I went and did some more research (as much as you could call wikipedia research ;)) and they had this map:

Looks like there are 29 states that recognize your laws.Β  I also learned that every state (at least technically) now has some form of legal concealed carry laws.Β  From what I read, they vary from being very difficult to obtain (Calfornia andΒ New York metro areas, Hawaii) to not even needing a permit at all (Arizona, Alaska, Arkansas, Vermont).

Also learned a little bit about "brandishing" and "printing."

I sometimes may print. Β Like if at grocery and bend over to pick up a product. Β Or maybe reach above my head. Β But that is okay where I live. Β Brandishing is very different and can be extremely serious. Β Brandishing is seen as an act of irresponsibility at the very least. Β It can also be a felony threat and even a justification for charges of attempted murder.

Printing...Oops, I did not realize the bottom of my holster was showing. Β Yes Officer, I will sign the citation. Β I am sorry. Β It will not happen again. Β Thank you for correcting me.

Brandishing....Not sure what to say at the moment if I could say anything at all with my face pressed to the floor with your knee on the back of my neck. Β (And next week, don't say "Yo" to the judge. Β They kinda don't appreciate that level of disrespect),

Thoroughly know your state's brandishing laws. Β No kidding. Β I only say this in case there is a potential for unholstering during a legitimate threat. Β I am sure that none of us here would even be close to a brandishing violation. Β Well, unless one of you guys went off after a round of 101 and started firing into your cart bag while still in the golf course parking lot. :-D

I never thought I would think about getting a concealed carry permit, but when I found out a bunch of my friends had one, it kind of changed my tune. And yes, if they jumped off a bridge, I would join them. :-P JK.

Lately, I've enjoyed going to the gun range, so maybe I'll finally buy my first firearm. I still have fun "renting" though since the range near me has a nice selection. Still, since guns aren't a thing in my family, it's kind of a weird, taboo subject for me in my head. It'd be different if I was raised around guns, no question, but I wasn't. So I'm hesitant to get into them, but I really do enjoy shooting, even though my aim is atrocious.

I really like the Sig Sauer P226. If it's good enough for the Navy Seals, it's good enough for me. Looks real sexy too. This is the gun I would get if I was to buy one. Not sure if you can buy the Navy version, but any version would do for me:

Constantine

• Administrator

@Always an 80 , we've asked you a few times to multi-quote. Please begin to do so: .

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

@Always an 80, we've asked you a few times to multi-quote. Please begin to do so:  ​ .

All I see and hear is politics. Β Gave you the benefit of the doubt. Β I was wrong again. Β  Β For those of you not understanding this response, do not even worry about it. Β It is between iacas and myself. Β Just please ignore it and focus your attention on passion for golf. Β iacas can give you an incredible amount of knowledge. Β He knows this game extremely well. Β Trust what he says. Β He truly helped me lower my scores on the putting green. Β I will always be grateful for the knowledge I gained from him!

I never thought I would think about getting a concealed carry permit, but when I found out a bunch of my friends had one, it kind of changed my tune.

On behalf of allΒ of us "innocents" out there could you please NOT get yourself a gun since ...

my aim is atrocious.

Much appreciated. ;-)

• Upvote 1

[QUOTE name="iacas" url="/t/74198/do-you-have-concealed-carry-permit/126#post_988116"] @Always an 80 , we've asked you a few times to multi-quote. Please begin to do so:Β Β [CONTENTEMBED=/t/69379/new-to-the-sand-trap-little-things-members-expect-and-ask-of-fellow-members layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]Β . [/QUOTE] All I see and hear is politics. Β Gave you the benefit of the doubt. Β I was wrong again. Β  Β For those of you not understanding this response, do not even worry about it. Β It is between iacas and myself. Β Just please ignore it and focus your attention on passion for golf. Β iacas can give you an incredible amount of knowledge. Β He knows this game extremely well. Β Trust what he says. Β He truly helped me lower my scores on the putting green. Β I will always be grateful for the knowledge I gained from him!

???? All I see is a request to multi-quote.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

I never thought I would think about getting a concealed carry permit, but when I found out a bunch of my friends had one, it kind of changed my tune.

On behalf of allΒ of us "innocents" out there could you please NOT get yourself a gun since ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

my aim is atrocious.

Much appreciated. ;-)

LOL.

I'm reminded of that Aziz Ansari joke about heroin re: my clumsiness with guns:

Quote:
My body could never take cocaine or heroin. Even if just tonight I said, "let's do heroin!" the next day, it'd be like "Aziz is dead!!!!" Yea he did heroin once and he died. "How much heroin did he do?" None! The needle just got near his arm, he freaked out, and fell off a building!"

Constantine

@Golfingdad , you're absolutely right.Β  I suspect that @Always an 80 either inadvertantlyΒ misinterpreted what he was told, or was simply given bad information in the first place.

It's extremely important that anyone considering carrying in a state other than their own understand the specific reciprocity agreements between their state AND the laws of the state to which they're traveling.Β  WhenΒ you are visiting another state, generally the laws of that state apply to you, not the laws of your own state.Β  Common sense will tell you so, but as a reference, and to provide 2 quick examples, here are two links....

Florida's statute on ccw reciprocity, Β  790.015(2) applies:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search;_String=&URL;=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.015.html

Summary to HR 578,Β pendingΒ legislation in The U.S. House of Representatives (proposed national ccw reciprocity bill)

http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/578

Again, pretty much common sense though.Β  The laws of someone's home state will never usurp the laws of another state in which an individual is visiting, no matter what the law.Β  There are several good resources to aid the traveler.Β  One of the most comprehensive, current, and accurate in my experience is here....

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

It's important to note that carry laws,Β reciprocity agreements, and laws pertaining to the use ofΒ deadly forceΒ vary WIDELY from state to state, andΒ frequently change.Β Β TheyΒ should be reviewed and verified before traveling with any weapon.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

@Golfingdad , you're absolutely right.Β  I suspect that @Always an 80 either inadvertantlyΒ misinterpreted what he was told, or was simply given bad information in the first place.Β  It's extremely important that anyone considering carrying in a state other than their own understand the specific reciprocity agreements between their state AND the laws of the state to which they're traveling.Β  WhenΒ you are visiting another state, generally the laws of that state apply to you, not the laws of your own state.Β  Common sense will tell you so, but as a reference, and to provide 2 quick examples, here are two links....Β  Florida's statute on ccw reciprocity, Β  790.015(2) applies: [URL=http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search;_String=&URL;=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.015.html]http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search;_String=&URL;=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.015.html[/URL] Summary to HR 578,Β pendingΒ legislation in The U.S. House of Representatives (proposed national ccwreciprocity bill) [URL=http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/578]http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/578[/URL] Again, pretty much common sense though.Β  The laws of someone's home state will never usurp the laws of another state in which an individual is visiting, no matter what the law.Β  There are several good resources to aid the traveler.Β  One of the most comprehensive, current, and accurate in my experience is here.... [URL=http://www.handgunlaw.us/]http://www.handgunlaw.us/[/URL] It's important to note that carry laws,Β reciprocity agreements, and laws pertaining to the use ofΒ deadly forceΒ vary WIDELY from state to state, andΒ frequently change.Β Β TheyΒ should be reviewed and verified before traveling with any weapon.

Thanks @David in FL , that makes perfect sense. Common sense indeed. ;)

I have no opinion one way or the other about concealed carry.Β  I don't carry, but I'm not bothered by folks that do.Β  Typically folks who go to the trouble to learn firearm laws and obtain permits are probably pretty law abiding folks.Β  Also,Β  I've been in the Army for 16 years, but I'm not a gun owner.Β  In that regard, I'm very much in the minority.

I do wonder this, though.Β  Of those folks who worry about being gunned down at the grocery store, how many of them ride a motorcycle?Β  Without a helmet?Β  How about ride a bike without a helmet?Β  Drive their car without a seat belt?Β  While texting?Β  After having a bottle of wine at dinner?Β  What about smoke?Β  Eat fast food 3+ more times per week?Β  Are 15 lbs or more overweight?

All of those things are going to kill you much more certainly than a bozo with an uzi at the grocery store.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I have no opinion one way or the other about concealed carry.Β  I don't carry, but I'm not bothered by folks that do.Β  Typically folks who go to the trouble to learn firearm laws and obtain permits are probably pretty law abiding folks.Β  Also,Β  I've been in the Army for 16 years, but I'm not a gun owner.Β  In that regard, I'm very much in the minority.

I do wonder this, though.Β  Of those folks who worry about being gunned down at the grocery store, how many of them ride a motorcycle?Β  Without a helmet?Β  How about ride a bike without a helmet?Β  Drive their car without a seat belt?Β  While texting?Β  After having a bottle of wine at dinner?Β  What about smoke?Β  Eat fast food 3+ more times per week?Β  Are 15 lbs or more overweight?

All of those things are going to kill you much more certainly than a bozo with an uzi at the grocery store.

Just to list a few of preventable deaths. Firearms is 7th on the list.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

I can think of no greater potential for my family to be harmed than hearing an intruder rummaging through my house while we're home.

Funny, because when @boil3rmak3r posted the above, I almost responded with something very similar.Β  While I can appreciate just how terrifying that scenario would be, if somebody asked me to list the things that present the greatest potential for my family to be harmed, it would be way, way down on the list.Β  In fact, I don't know that I would have even thought of it enough to mention it.Β  My list would be drunk drivers; texting drivers; just plain old shitty drivers; heck, even good drivers when my kids try and wrestle free from my hands in parking lots; unvaccinated kids at school trying to give my kids measles or something; and then somwhere down the line I'd put a break-in.

But for the record, I agree with @k-troop olded and underlined.

Note:Β This thread is 2401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!