IGNORED

Name Your Team USA Ryder Cup Squad

SteveBamford
Note: This thread is 3543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This came up with Carl Pettersson a few years ago. He had earned enough world ranking points to be in contention for a spot on the European team, but he didn't hold active European Tour membership, which rendered him ineligible.

I looked it up and you're completely right.

~Jorrit

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Captain's picks are Keegan, Webb, and Sneds. Would be reasonably shocked if it's not these three guys.

Tiger over Webb.  Webb brings nothing to the table.  Watson even hinted at taking Tiger during the PGA, effectively saying "He's a little hurt and not playing well, but in the end, he IS Tiger Woods."

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

In 2012 Tiger lost all his macthes in the Ryder Cup. And back then it seems he was in better form and shape then he is now.

~Jorrit

Tiger over Webb.  Webb brings nothing to the table.  Watson even hinted at taking Tiger during the PGA, effectively saying "He's a little hurt and not playing well, but in the end, he IS Tiger Woods."

take out Webb and replace with Ryan Palmer, he's on a hot-streak :beer:

Before Bridgestone, I would have agreed, but not anymore. He role on the team would have been as the aggressive partner during the four-ball sessions, and he just can't go after the shot without risking injury to his back. He can't promise being fit to complete three sessions, let alone all five, so he's out.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

In 2012 Tiger lost all his macthes in the Ryder Cup. And back then it seems he was in better form and shape then he is now.

He was also paired with Stricker, who contributed absolutely nothing that year and was largely to blame - he did halve his singles match, which was irrelevant by the time they finished.

I would not expect Tiger to play 4 or even 5 matches.  I would play him in Friday and Saturday Four Ball only where he has a partner to help carry him if he struggles.  I think he'd pair well with Spieth.

Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW

Pro V1x

I'm not sure Tiger even wants to play at this point. His presser on Fri seemed to hint that he's hanging up the clubs for some time to focus on his health, getting stronger, etc. I believe that was a message to Tom and others. Don't think he'll be there.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I would lose some respect for Watson, as the Ryder Cup captain, if he were to pick Tiger.

Nobody forced Tom to make all the comments about Tiger being healthy and seeing how he was playing to earn a spot.

It would make me wonder how much pressure there was from higher powers as in TV rights (aka NBC) to put Tiger on the team.

Players play, tough players win!

I'm not sure Tiger even wants to play at this point. His presser on Fri seemed to hint that he's hanging up the clubs for some time to focus on his health, getting stronger, etc. I believe that was a message to Tom and others. Don't think he'll be there.

I think ultimately, Tiger will do Watson a favor and say he's not healthy enough to play and take himself out of consideration.

Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW

Pro V1x

I would play him in Friday and Saturday Four Ball only where he has a partner to help carry him if he struggles.

You can't possibly select a player based on the understanding that its the job of his partner to carry him!!! It's not fair on a rookie like Jordan to ask him to take two Europeans single handedly on their home patch. If you're even remotely thinking in terms of how you can best hide Tiger Woods then the answer is straight forward. 4000 miles away.

Hell I'd rather pick Tom Watson to play foursomes ahead of Woods to play fourballs under these circumstances

Woods has never been a factor in Ryder Cup before, and hasn't been part of a winning team this century. What on earth have you seen in his form that marks him out as turning that round this year that no one else has?

If you insist on playing him (and God only knows why?) then you'd be better off asking him to play the singles only, or perhaps getting injured on Saturday night and at least reducing the final day to eleven aside

If the Captain's picks were today, I think Keegan and Snedeker would be 2 of the choices, and unless they play absolutely horrible these last few weeks, they should stay as the top 2 options.

The last one is going to go to the hottest hand, and if nobody is hot, then I think Tiger becomes a possibility.

If the Captain's picks were today, I think Keegan and Snedeker would be 2 of the choices, and unless they play absolutely horrible these last few weeks, they should stay as the top 2 options.  The last one is going to go to the hottest hand, and if nobody is hot, then I think Tiger becomes a possibility.

I think Tom would have to be batshit ****ing insane to take Tiger. I would rather have Brian Harman on the team. I think Moore, Simpson, or Mahan are better options.

Riley

I don't see how he becomes a possibility Chris, when there's nothing tangible to pin the decision on. The best you're going to get is Tiger's own reports of his fitness. Just what is his record since he came back from the operation. It's not even remotely close to being good enough to compete at this level of intensity

Dan Marino doubtless has a better career record than Ryan Tannehill, but Miami don't pick him?

I was just looking at the possible line up Europe could field on that first morning

Rory McIlroy/ Sergio Garcia

Justin Rose/ Ian Poulter

Lee Westwood/ Graeme McDowell

Martin Kaymer/ Henrik Stenson

That could be 4-0 and game over. You can't be thinking in terms of carrying walking wounded. America has to come straight out the gates from the moment they open

I'd love to see Erik Compton get a shot, far-fetched, I know. Not sure he could play 4 or 5 matches given his health issues but the cooler weather there might allow it. Would like to see him go on a tear over the next few weeks and get himself into contention.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I don't see how he becomes a possibility Chris, when there's nothing tangible to pin the decision on. The best you're going to get is Tiger's own reports of his fitness. Just what is his record since he came back from the operation. It's not even remotely close to being good enough to compete at this level of intensity

Dan Marino doubtless has a better career record than Ryan Tannehill, but Miami don't pick him?

I was just looking at the possible line up Europe could field on that first morning

Rory McIlroy/ Sergio Garcia

Justin Rose/ Ian Poulter

Lee Westwood/ Graeme McDowell

Martin Kaymer/ Henrik Stenson

That could be 4-0 and game over. You can't be thinking in terms of carrying walking wounded. America has to come straight out the gates from the moment they open

Not saying it's likely. Just saying it becomes a possibility if no one else stands out.

Btw, as well as Mickelson/Bradley played 2 years ago, I think Mickelson/Fowler would be a strong team that can give any Euro team a tough outing. I also think Walker could be a sneaky good team player. Pair him with Zach Johnson and that'd be another tough team to contend with.

'possibility' is such a catch all word though Chris, and will always apply. I'm just trying to reverse engineer the selection process and can't really conceive of a situation where the possibility exists though. Make a list out in your own mind of the conditions that you would require Tiger to satisfy, and then ask where you're going to see the evidence that makes you comfortable that he's met them? I can see that your point was largely based on a negative pick, that is to say it's akin to there being nothing else left, and he's in by default, but Gleneagles has a couple of key holes 14 & 16 which are risk and reward big hitting assignments. The way Tiger is at the moment I wouldn't let him anywhere near them. I'd be more persuaded by those of you advocating letting JB Holmes have a go at them to be honest

Funny you should say that Fowler and Phil would make a partnership. I was thinking who on the American side I'd swap for a European player. Those were the only two names I came up with

I'd have Rickey for Donaldson and Phil for Bjorn

Anyway, here's the PGA course guide. It closes this week for prep incidentally

http://www.gleneagles.com/golf/golf-courses/pga-centenary-course/virtual-course-guide

'possibility' is such a catch all word though Chris, and will always apply. I'm just trying to reverse engineer the selection process and can't really conceive of a situation where the possibility exists though. Make a list out in your own mind of the conditions that you would require Tiger to satisfy, and then ask where you're going to see the evidence that makes you comfortable that he's met them? I can see that your point was largely based on a negative pick, that is to say it's akin to there being nothing else left, and he's in by default, but Gleneagles has a couple of key holes 14 & 16 which are risk and reward big hitting assignments. The way Tiger is at the moment I wouldn't let him anywhere near them. I'd be more persuaded by those of you advocating letting JB Holmes have a go at them to be honest Funny you should say that Fowler and Phil would make a partnership. I was thinking who on the American side I'd swap for a European player. Those were the only two names I came up with I'd have Rickey for Donaldson and Phil for Bjorn Anyway, here's the PGA course guide. It closes this week for prep incidentally [URL=http://www.gleneagles.com/golf/golf-courses/pga-centenary-course/virtual-course-guide]http://www.gleneagles.com/golf/golf-courses/pga-centenary-course/virtual-course-guide[/URL]

How bout ol' Jim as one of the Euro Captains picks?!

Riley

Note: This thread is 3543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!