IGNORED

Name Your Team USA Ryder Cup Squad

SteveBamford
Note: This thread is 3524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

without looking at any points standings ... I'd be disappointed if Watson didn't make these selections:

- Spieth

- Bubba

- Kuchar

- Snedecker

- Zach

- Keegan

- Reed

- Furyk

- Walker

- Dufner

- Fowler

- Last slot:  Moore, Woodland or Na

I'm not in favor of selecting one of the lesser known young guys (Todd, Kirk, Stroud, etc) regardless of standing - Ryder Cup is about battle proven veterans.

Those who should not be considered under any circumstances (based on past reputation) due to dramatic lack of form as of late:

- Woods

- Phil

- Mahan

- Simpson

- Stricker

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Locks: -Bubba Watson -Jim Furyk -Jimmy Walker -Rickie Fowler -Matt Kuchar -Jordan Spieth Not a terrible top 6. Bubba hasn't lit it up like the Masters, but I think he will do well. Furyk has RC trouble, but has been a top 10 machine all year. Jimmy hasn't won for a few months, but he has been consistent virtually all of the year. Rickie Fowler's blossoming as potentially one of the best players in the world. Matt Kuchar is Mr. Consistent, he will play well. Jordan Spieth's very inexperienced, however he's shown he has the game to compete on the Ryder Cup stage. Compare that to European Ryder Cup top 6. -Rory McIlroy -Henrik Stenson -Victor Dubuisson -Sergio Garcia -Justin Rose -Martin Kaymer Yikes! Rory might just be the best golfer in the world right now. Henrik's play hasn't been as good as last year, but still solid. Dubuisson has had a kind of sneaky really good year. Sergio is on Fiyahh. Justin Rose and Martin Kaymer are top ten players in the world and multiple winners on tour. Not looking good for the US On the fence but currently in USA: -Jason Dufner -Zach Johnson -Patrick Reed I think these too 2 will get in. Dufner and Johnson will very likely get in. Reed is playing solidly, but will likely get left out(!!) Captains Pick Options -Patrick Reed -Phil Mickelson -Brendon Todd -Chris Kirk -Webb Simpson -Ryan Moore -Keegan Bradley -Harris English -Kevin Na *Outside The Box Choices -Tiger Woods -Brandt Snedeker -Hunter Mahan -Steve Stricker I think Phil will probably get picked based on reputation alone. He's is arguably mired in the worst season of his career and has no top tens. I honestly don't know if Watson should pick him, but he will. I would give the other two to Webb Simpson & Keegan Bradley. Keegan gets really fired up and will have a decent Ryder Cup. He's our Ian Poulter. I picked Webb because no way in hell should we bring Chris Kirk or Kevin Na. Patty Reed is having a good year, but I hope he's left out. Ryan Moore and Brendon Todd are the other two serious choices. Ryan's really coming on strong recently and Brendon Todd seems to come up big weekly. I know, I know Brendon Todd on the Ryder Cup?!!, but he deserves a mention. Kevin Na will probably get nervous and forget how to swing. I do like Kevin Na though, sorry Kevin. Now, I absolutely love Tiger. He is, without a doubt my favorite golfer. However, he has done nothing to prove he deserves a spot. Finish T5 or better at Valhalla and we'll talk. I don't think the three other guys deserve a spot. Sneds is playing better of later, but still not good enough to knock off a Webb or Keegan. Mahan has had a tough year and Steve is basically retired. *Gotta think about choice -Robert Streb Cannot have a golf tournament without Robert Streb... My apologies for this rambling.

Riley

without looking at any points standings ... I'd be disappointed if Watson didn't make these selections:

- Spieth

- Bubba

- Kuchar

- Snedecker

- Zach

- Keegan

- Reed

- Furyk

- Walker

- Dufner

- Fowler

- Last slot:  Moore, Woodland or Na

I'm not in favor of selecting one of the lesser known young guys (Todd, Kirk, Stroud, etc) regardless of standing - Ryder Cup is about battle proven veterans.

Those who should not be considered under any circumstances (based on past reputation) due to dramatic lack of form as of late:

- Woods

- Phil

- Mahan

- Simpson

- Stricker

Only person I'd disagree with is the last slot. I would take Phil with that last slot. He played well at The Scottish and had a good weekend The Open. This week he's struggling, but you do need to take into account he's playing with Strept throat. Moore is not a good clutch player. Many won't agree with Sneds. I really want to see him make the team but he needs to show something these last few weeks. Playing well this week at least and played well at Pinehurst.

This is random but it would be awesome if the Ryder and Presidents Cups were kinda merged and with other areas of the world. Maybe like the Americas and Australia vs Europe and Africa. It'll bring into play more competition and difficulty to make the team and other elite players would get a shot. Scott, Day, Leishman, Matsuyama, Cabrera, Schwartzel, etc. Ehh screw it, Ryder Cup is awesome.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I'm not going to mock up a roster until after tomorrow, because there are a lot of bubble guys in the top 12 at Firestone, and there's going to be a lot of movement in the standings at the end of the weekend. That aside, I have a few thoughts.

• I wouldn't put Jason Dufner as "very likely" to get in; he may be outside the top nine by Monday morning. Other than forcing sudden death with Adam Scott at Colonial, he's done nothing in the last six months. He's near the bottom of the field at Firestone, I don't like his chances at the PGA, and if he doesn't qualify automatically for the squad, I wouldn't select him as a captain's pick.
  • I'm not sure that Phil Mickelson would accept a captain's pick. The grind of being on tour seems to have worn him down this year, and he may be ready to take an extended break in the off-season. (Contrast him to Jim Furyk, who's the same age and lives for the grind.) Phil's hinted that he wouldn't want to be selected for the team if he doesn't qualify, so I'd place his status as "wait and see." (Now watch him pull a top-five out of his hat at Valhalla.)
  • My opinion on Tiger Woods has gone from "there's no way he'll be selected," to "maybe he'll be selected if he shows us a little more," to "Tom Watson's probably going to select him, but I don't agree with it," to "Team USA has nothing to lose by selecting him." I wouldn't play him in alternate-shot matches, but I'd rate the odds of a Woods earning at least 1.5 points between the best-ball and match-play sessions above any available replacement. He's a high-risk, high-yield option, but the USA may need to take the chance.
  • For what it's worth, Tom Watson doesn't have to make his captain's picks until after the Deutsche Bank Championship, so the bubble guys with question marks on their "clutch/big moment" bona fides will have two more opportunities to prove themselves in the Playoffs after the PGA Championship.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Only person I'd disagree with is the last slot. I would take Phil with that last slot. He played well at The Scottish and had a good weekend The Open. This week he's struggling, but you do need to take into account he's playing with Strept throat. Moore is not a good clutch player. Many won't agree with Sneds. I really want to see him make the team but he needs to show something these last few weeks. Playing well this week at least and played well at Pinehurst.

You know, this is a good point. Phil has figured out how to play in Scotland and even though Gleneagles is a parkland course, I think the atmosphere and Keegan will light a fire under him. Ok, back on the Phil bandwagon.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

As an interested European we would be most keen that Tiger gets a pick It was obvious that even at his best he was no team player Tiger apart should be a great match, bring it on

Anyone... Who thinks T-Dub will not be on our Ryder Cup team is fooling themselves...period.

This was my feeling up until this week. Couldn't imagine the powers that be (TV, PGA) not putting pressure on Watson to pick him. But, he's in pretty bad form now and if he has another poor showing next week, I really think he'll be out. If he does make the team, I'd bet he only plays 3 matches.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I think Snedeker's a big wild card. Watson won't show favoritism or play the bias card....he's too humble for that....but I think deep down, he'd like Snedeker on his team. I've read where the two of them have a great relationship and Sneds has said Watson was his hero growing up. Heck, he grew his hair just like him. So it will be interesting to see if Sneds has a run of good finishes here if Watson will pick him.

Well, there ya go. Tiger can't play in the Ryder Cup because he re-injured himself again and he's done. He's done for the season so he can't be selected and now the arguments can commence. Who will take T-Dubs spot now?

Well, there ya go. Tiger can't play in the Ryder Cup because he re-injured himself again and he's done. He's done for the season so he can't be selected and now the arguments can commence. Who will take T-Dubs spot now?

I didn't think he would make it anyway, but my bets it's Webb or maybe Sneds

Riley

Mickelson will be there, unless he gets injured too.

Phil, Webb, Keegan. Maybe Phil, Keegan, Reed. Despite Phil being in an absolutely shitty year, Watson will take him.

Riley

I think Phil/Keegan are locks if they don't make it on points. The last spot is going to go to Sneds if he can finish well today and play well next week. If not, then I think you're looking at a surprise guy like Todd or Moore or Kirk.

I think Phil/Keegan are locks if they don't make it on points. The last spot is going to go to Sneds if he can finish well today and play well next week. If not, then I think you're looking at a surprise guy like Todd or Moore or Kirk.

Todd or Kirk? Yikes! That's Brett Wetterich/JJ Henry/Vaughn Taylor territory. Coincidentally all picked in 2006! Believe it or not, we got destroyed that year.

Riley

Note: This thread is 3524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!