IGNORED

Most Embarrassing Moments on the Course?

jakepalm
Note: This thread is 1320 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 hours ago, JCrane said:

yea, but did those same people watching you fall, also see you on the par 5 ? 

LOL - Only my playing partner...…….

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

50 years of playing golf so I generally do not get to embarrassed over this game any longer………..

Yet

Back in May I go out to play 9 holes of customer golf.  I payed for the round as I really wanted to but hey he was my customer so it is expected. Well it is a slow moving day and a nice sunny day.  We are laughing and enjoying the relaxing round of golf.  

We get to the 6th hole and it is a 200 yard Par 3, elevated tee box so I tell him to hit your normal 200 yard club that the elevation really has no affect on this hole for some unknown reason.  He tees off and doesn't hit the best of shots so I am up.  For some reason he takes off walking to the right at an angle into the junk, almost lateral from the tee box.  I have no idea how what happens next happens.  I grab my 7 wood and start my back swing and everything goes completely off, I can feel the universe is way wrong.  I start my downswing and I catch a glimpse of the guy walking and I hit the ball almost laterally directly at him.  He somehow dodges the white scud missile and it screams past him.  

He looks at me and says "What the hell was that!"

I answer "Fore!"

He "you almost hit me"

Me "I hate this 7 wood, the shaft is all wrong, why do I even try to use it"

I was pretty embarrassed and to this date I have not used that 7 Wood, I think I actually gave it away to my wife.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

3 hours ago, djake said:

50 years of playing golf so I generally do not get to embarrassed over this game any longer………..

Yet

Back in May I go out to play 9 holes of customer golf.  I payed for the round as I really wanted to but hey he was my customer so it is expected. Well it is a slow moving day and a nice sunny day.  We are laughing and enjoying the relaxing round of golf.  

We get to the 6th hole and it is a 200 yard Par 3, elevated tee box so I tell him to hit your normal 200 yard club that the elevation really has no affect on this hole for some unknown reason.  He tees off and doesn't hit the best of shots so I am up.  For some reason he takes off walking to the right at an angle into the junk, almost lateral from the tee box.  I have no idea how what happens next happens.  I grab my 7 wood and start my back swing and everything goes completely off, I can feel the universe is way wrong.  I start my downswing and I catch a glimpse of the guy walking and I hit the ball almost laterally directly at him.  He somehow dodges the white scud missile and it screams past him.  

He looks at me and says "What the hell was that!"

I answer "Fore!"

He "you almost hit me"

Me "I hate this 7 wood, the shaft is all wrong, why do I even try to use it"

I was pretty embarrassed and to this date I have not used that 7 Wood, I think I actually gave it away to my wife.

So  who did your wife hit ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JCrane said:

So  who did your wife hit ? 

Ummmm so far no one.  But since you mention it my son almost hit my daughter while using that same club.  And it was even more of a diagonal shot on the driving range.

It has to be the shaft 😁

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

7 hours ago, djake said:

Ummmm so far no one.  But since you mention it my son almost hit my daughter while using that same club.  And it was even more of a diagonal shot on the driving range.

It has to be the shaft 😁

I think you need to have someone perform an exorcism on that club. It is possessed 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This is really embarrassing:

Yesterday I played 9 holes with two of my teammates. After I made a tough up-and-down par on the first, we arrived at the second hole, a straight 340-yard par 4. One of my teammates said that I wasn’t going to clear 150. The other said he said I was easily going to carry it since I had been hitting what he calls “mondos” (extra-long drives) on the hole, which was true. I took a big swipe at it and watched in horror as it sliced badly, not even head-height, deep into the trees almost immediately to the right of the tee. The near-shank made my face go bright red. I got out of the trees, but was so shaken I made 8 on the hole.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I’ve had a few...

My most embarrassing individual moment was at a crappy little golf course called bear creek here in Houston. Was teaching my then girlfriend-now wife to play the game. We got to a hole that had a road down the left side, but out of play....or so I thought. I snap hooked my tee shot so bad that I swear it took off left at a 90 degree angle from the path it started on. Pegged a BMW suv that was coming down the road. Car stopped, driver wasn’t happy (but weren’t overly angry either). I had to go over and talk to them and inspect the car and turns out I pegged the license plate....whew. They gave me some scolding about my game in front of my girlfriend and we went about our day. But man I was so embarrassed...I’m the one teaching her and I had no idea where my ball was going! Wasn’t my finest moment. 

3 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

I’ve had a few...

My most embarrassing individual moment was at a crappy little golf course called bear creek here in Houston. Was teaching my then girlfriend-now wife to play the game. We got to a hole that had a road down the left side, but out of play....or so I thought. I snap hooked my tee shot so bad that I swear it took off left at a 90 degree angle from the path it started on. Pegged a BMW suv that was coming down the road. Car stopped, driver wasn’t happy (but weren’t overly angry either). I had to go over and talk to them and inspect the car and turns out I pegged the license plate....whew. They gave me some scolding about my game in front of my girlfriend and we went about our day. But man I was so embarrassed...I’m the one teaching her and I had no idea where my ball was going! Wasn’t my finest moment. 

I know that feeling very well. This reminds me of another embarrassing moment. My dad and I were practicing chipping and putting on our course’s practice green. He went to use the bathroom, and I carried on. I went to hit a rather long chip, and shanked it dead into the hood of a Ford truck in the parking lot. Luckily, my dad took a while, so I went to check on the truck to see if I dented it. Thank goodness, I didn’t. Thank goodness the owner didn’t show up too 😂. But my dad came out a minute later, and we went on practicing as if nothing had happened. I didn’t tell him I hit a truck with a golf ball, and I haven’t told him in the month or so since. I probably won’t tell him, ever. I don’t feel the need to, since it wasn’t even damaged.

WITB:

• 4 weeks later...

Ha. Just remembered another one. Two summers ago, we were looking to get me some new irons. I try the 7I from one set out on the practice range, with the head pro looking on. Somehow made good contact, as the club flew out of my hand and landed 20 yards in front of and to the right of where I was hitting. Probably the most embarrassing walk I’ve ever had in golf.

WITB:

As somewhat of a beginner I have a lot of what I think are embarrassing moments. I wonder though if anybody really pays that much attention and it is more an individual thing when we are embarrassed?

I was walking with my cart on a challenging local 9 hole course and was having a great round with making pretty much all my fairways and life was good. I get up to the 9th hole which is over a pond from the tee box. Three fairways are adjacent to each other and there was a foursome on the green to the right of me and a group on the fairway to the left of me taking their second shot.

Everybody can see everybody, so I have this feeling they are all watching me. I pop up to the Tee box thinking in my mind, yeah, I got this, I been popping sweet drives so this one will be perfect. Those thoughts did not turn into action.

I tee up and swoosh the first ball goes into the water, and then swoosh goes the second ball. I am thinking of just how utterly shameful and embarrassing this is. I am a determined person, but at this point I am toast and walk over to the other side of the pond looking for the drop zone - with my head hung in shame, daring not to look up at any of the other people gazing on. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Good grief. We just had a moment yesterday. We finished up on the 8th green, and my brother tried to throw his ball to his bag. Man alive, it landed in the bunker. He raked it out with his club, and took several tries, leaving about a basketball-size crater in the bunker. It was definitely painful to watch. We had a single walker behind us, and my bro forgot to rake the trap when he was finished. The guy behind us finished up as we were walking off the tee. He whistled to us and said, “Come rake this trap.” I turned to my brother and said, “You made the mess, go rake it.” We ended up letting the guy play through us. 

WITB:

Here are two that didn’t actually happen to me. May have said these before. Both just happen to be in the same round:

1) We were standing on the second tee of a new course (to us), and after three of us hit, my brother was up. He took a hard practice swing with his driver and it flew out of his hands and landed probably 40 yards in front of him. My dad appeared very irritated, and because I was riding in the same cart as him, I had to try really hard to hold back a laugh.

2) On the 16th hole, my grandpa was the last one to tee off. I remember the hole as a long par 4, 495 from tips, probably 420 from whites. My grandpa said, “Maybe if I swing harder AND faster, I’ll get more distance.” So he swung harder and faster. He topped it badly, so badly in fact that it went between his legs and finished about 20 feet behind him. So many funny things were happening that day, and all the laughs I tried to hold in came out. Probably the hardest I’ve laughed in my entire life. And, to top his bad shot off, and making it even funnier, he yelled, “AAAAGGGGHHHH! DAGGUM IT!!” 

WITB:

Again, my brother and I played last Sunday afternoon. On the 8th hole, he had just topped his tee shot about 50 yards. He pulled an 8-iron, and aimed himself at the trees on the left. I didn’t say anything, because we made a deal that I wouldn’t give him advice unless he asked for it. He took a big swipe at it and went dead into the trees. He looked amazed. I told him that he hit it exactly where he was aiming. What came next shocked me. He showed me the club, or what was left of it. At impact, the clubhead flew off the shaft, and I didn’t even see it. Thank goodness we were only playing nine holes that day.

WITB:

• 4 months later...

It’s funny that five out of the last seven posts on this thread (including this one) have been mine. Oh well... I had another kind of embarrassing moment today. It wasn’t as embarrassing as my others, more awkward than anything. On the par-3 12th today, I was stuck behind a couple, and they asked me to wave through. Always nerve-wrecking. I hit a 7I to about 12ft.

Then I went up and drilled the putt for a birdie two (wait for it), and the guy asked me point-blank, “What’s your handicap?” After a few moments of awkward silence, I told him I was a bogey golfer that was just having a great day, which, if you’ve been following my posts, you know the first part is the truth. But then I went and parred the 13th, which is ranked the toughest hole on the course.

That was the embarrassing part. The reason why is because I told him I was a bogey golfer (which is the truth), while playing two of the most difficult holes on the course at -1.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:

For me it was when I was bragging to my buddies about how great my last round was, all due to my new clubs. I swagger up the the first tee..... and top it.....<sigh>

• :callaway: Callaway Epic Flash Driver.  Epic Flash 3 Wood.  GBB Flash 5 wood.  Epic Flash 4 Hybrid
  • :cleveland: Cleveland Launcher HB Irons, 4 through PW. CBX2 Wedges, 54 & 60 degree.
  • :seemore:  Seemore Si1 putter.

On 6/1/2020 at 6:26 PM, dagolfer18 said:

It’s funny that five out of the last seven posts on this thread (including this one) have been mine. Oh well... I had another kind of embarrassing moment today. It wasn’t as embarrassing as my others, more awkward than anything. On the par-3 12th today, I was stuck behind a couple, and they asked me to wave through. Always nerve-wrecking. I hit a 7I to about 12ft.

Then I went up and drilled the putt for a birdie two (wait for it), and the guy asked me point-blank, “What’s your handicap?” After a few moments of awkward silence, I told him I was a bogey golfer that was just having a great day, which, if you’ve been following my posts, you know the first part is the truth. But then I went and parred the 13th, which is ranked the toughest hole on the course.

That was the embarrassing part. The reason why is because I told him I was a bogey golfer (which is the truth), while playing two of the most difficult holes on the course at -1.

You are getting better.  But what about your little brother???

Note: This thread is 1320 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!