IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Whose Golfing today?

Mother's Day weekend is a tough sell. I could probably pull it off, but I'd rather save my chips for a better deal. ;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not me, I'm sitting in the parking lot waiting for the 12 hour shift to start. I would be paying for it if I was out earlier.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

I forgot to mention another really good book. It's the How to break 100,90,80,70 series by Andy Chao. It really has a lot of overlap with LSW. I'm still learning from the book - I've bought every single one. The only thing is that there's a ton of overlap within the series and sometimes outright mistakes (copy and paste from another etc...).

But it's full of great information! I love it. Will read it before going out today.

Just 2 years ago I could only dream of breaking 50 for nine holes. I thought that the only way I would ever break 50 is if I played a par 3 course. Yesterday I shot 42 on a regular course. Could have been a 40 if I hadn't of left a birdie putt inches short and also missed a 2 1/2 foot putt on another hole. I attribute this score to the fact how much my short game has improved over the last year.

Nice job @9wood !

...  Late in the afternoon, you are looking right into the setting sun.  I've hit some really great drives by contact on this hole but never find the ball.  One of the downfalls of playing solo.  My new "keep the head down"  method will be put to the test because you want to look up quick to track the flight.  The swing was a little too easy and it landed in the rough with a 10 foot tall pine tree directly in front and other bigger trees that have kicked my arse before with woods and hybrids.  This time I 7 ironed over it and into the fairway.  Take your lumps and move on.

I am no golf pro, obviously, but you can turn your head to watch your ball, just don't lift your body up.  Your round sounds like my Wednesday round except you had a much better score!

Played a longer (for me) 18 hole muni yesterday with a business associate. Shot  a front 9-44, back 9-50, first time breaking  a nine hole 45 and first time breaking 100.

Stopped shooting for the pin on approach shots and tried to aim for that safe place (for me) that allowed an easy chip to the putting surface.

Thought about the next shot-only hit one drive ob and then  half swung a 5 iron back onto the fairway rather than trying to get a 150 yard risky shot through a set of trees.

Seems crazy-such simple advice but never entered my thought process.Gotta remember this thought process through every shot

The most fun yesterday-Hit a tee shot on a par three-wth a greens keeper watching us tee off-hit the flag stick and birdied the hole.

Thanks again

Congrats on the 94 and the birdie!

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

.     Played 18 this morning.  Walked the front nine and shot a 48 (with a 9 on the par 5, hit 2 balls out of bounds.  Rode the back nine so I could get to my studio before 10.   Shot a 41 my best for 9 holes.  So not only did I break 100 but I broke 90 as well!!!   Did not drive the ball very well, but my chipping and putting was much better.  Chipped in a shot from the fringe for a birdie and did not have a single 3 putt.  While my putting was pretty good I missed several 8-10' putts for par.

Over all very happy with the round, you can check it out on Game Golf at the link below:

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/randyrives/round/322819

.     Played 18 this morning.  Walked the front nine and shot a 48 (with a 9 on the par 5, hit 2 balls out of bounds.  Rode the back nine so I could get to my studio before 10.   Shot a 41 my best for 9 holes.  So not only did I break 100 but I broke 90 as well!!!   Did not drive the ball very well, but my chipping and putting was much better.  Chipped in a shot from the fringe for a birdie and did not have a single 3 putt.  While my putting was pretty good I missed several 8-10' putts for par.

Over all very happy with the round, you can check it out on Game Golf at the link below:

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/randyrives/round/322819

Very cool!  Great job!

I am sorry you now have to move to the bogey golfers thread... :-P

Bill Z.

DLR Hog 1005D Putter

nice work rrives

Nike Covert 2.0 driver with Kuro Kage

Nike Covert Tour 3 wood

Nike Covert 5 wood

Nike Covert 4 hybrid

Nike VRS Forged irons 5i-GW

Callaway Forged Wedge 56deg

Callaway X-Forged Wedge 60deg

Odyssey White Hot XG #9 putter
2015 Sun Mountain Tour Series cart bag

Well I made it back to "normal" tonight at league.  Played from the blues on the easier 9 and shot a 51, 3 under my course handicap.   Still looking for those 40's  :)

Bill Z.

DLR Hog 1005D Putter

I went out last Friday and had a few blow up holes ond too many missed putts on the front nine.  It didn't help that on the first hole I got a twinge in my back that affected me for several holes.  I wasn't going to quit though - I had already paid for the round :-P .

On the back nine, however, my back loosened back up and I managed to shoot 49.  I even birdied one hole, so it was a good game.

Hi,

New to the site and pretty new to golf. Took it up seriously in Oct last year and my goal is to break 100 by the end of Summer.

My issue seems to be an absolute panic/melt down when I think I'm getting anywhere close. Obviously I have mechanical flawes but my local pro seems to think my swing looks in good shape at the range. Interesting though that when he videod me both at the range and then on the course - 15 minutes apart - my swing had changed dramatically! Felt the exact same to me!

Anyway, I got to the turn during my last round and realised I had shot 47 (Never before been lower than 50!) and proceeded to shoot 9, 9 and 8 through the next three. managed to get it together a little and shot 105 - included a birdie on the SI 1 par 5! Almost as if, once I'd realised I had no chance of breaking 100 I completely relaxed again and my game came back!

If i just shot double bogey on those three nightmare holes i would have shot below 100.

Anyone else have this issue??

Hi,

New to the site and pretty new to golf. Took it up seriously in Oct last year and my goal is to break 100 by the end of Summer.

My issue seems to be an absolute panic/melt down when I think I'm getting anywhere close. Obviously I have mechanical flawes but my local pro seems to think my swing looks in good shape at the range. Interesting though that when he videod me both at the range and then on the course - 15 minutes apart - my swing had changed dramatically! Felt the exact same to me!

Anyway, I got to the turn during my last round and realised I had shot 47 (Never before been lower than 50!) and proceeded to shoot 9, 9 and 8 through the next three. managed to get it together a little and shot 105 - included a birdie on the SI 1 par 5! Almost as if, once I'd realised I had no chance of breaking 100 I completely relaxed again and my game came back!

If i just shot double bogey on those three nightmare holes i would have shot below 100.

Anyone else have this issue??

Welcome to the site!  If you look around, you'll see there's a lot of good information on it.  One thing I would suggest if you haven't done so is to create a My Swing thread in this forum: http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

As to your question, I've been there when I'm in the zone and not looking that scorecard where I find myself playing a few good holes in a row and then I look and put some pressure on myself to do well.  Normally, the pressure doesn't get to me and I'm able to hunker down, but if a few things go wrong, I have to fight really hard to not let a domino effect happen.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Welcome to the site!  If you look around, you'll see there's a lot of good information on it.  One thing I would suggest if you haven't done so is to create a My Swing thread in this forum: http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

As to your question, I've been there when I'm in the zone and not looking that scorecard where I find myself playing a few good holes in a row and then I look and put some pressure on myself to do well.  Normally, the pressure doesn't get to me and I'm able to hunker down, but if a few things go wrong, I have to fight really hard to not let a domino effect happen.

Thanks!

Haven't done so yet no... Might prove a challenge to convince my girlfriend to come to the range to video me!!!

Will do my best though. I've done quite a lot of reading on the subject but find that the mroe I think about not thinking about it, the more I think about it!? if that makes any coherent sense!?

Thanks!

Haven't done so yet no... Might prove a challenge to convince my girlfriend to come to the range to video me!!!

Will do my best though. I've done quite a lot of reading on the subject but find that the mroe I think about not thinking about it, the more I think about it!? if that makes any coherent sense!?

You can always get a tripod if you have a camera or one of those holders for mobile phones if you use that. :-)

Christian

You can always get a tripod if you have a camera or one of those holders for mobile phones if you use that.

Speaking of which I got a camera mount for my golf cart (the mount is actually for a motorbike handlebar but fits on the the handlebar of my cart without a problem) so that I could get video on the course without having to take a tripod or trying to balance the camera on the bag! :)

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

Speaking of which I got a camera mount for my golf cart (the mount is actually for a motorbike handlebar but fits on the the handlebar of my cart without a problem) so that I could get video on the course without having to take a tripod or trying to balance the camera on the bag! :)

Regards

Mailman

Nice.

What kind of camera do you have?

Christian

It's nothing special, just a woggo standard Sony handicam. Sadly it can shoot high speed footage but that's not too much drama as I can use iMovie for slow motion stuff like this; [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/iJS8An_gk-Y[/VIDEO] The mount just means I don't have to faff about with tripods and stuff. Regards Mailman

Mailman

Note: This thread is 1362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!