IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site and I've been playing golf for about a year and a few months. I got the "fever" right away, and it hasn't lightened up. Seems like I'm reading about golf every night before bed and talking about golf during the day (when I can).

I play on average probably 4-5 rounds a month. I'm always desperately trying to break 100, and today I shot a 99. Only my 3rd time doing it! And of course, as I'm sure most of you can relate, I can think back to probably 10 easy shots I screwed up.

One thing I found very helpful was something I read in a golf digest magazine.

If you score a 6 on every hole except the par 3s, and get a par on all the par 3s, you should get a 96. 48 on both sides. Trying to make par on all the par 3s puts a little pressure on, but it takes it all off on the other holes.

Hit your drive short or in the trees? It's ok, you still have 5 shots to make it there. I don't try as many miracle shots, and it's easier to take my medicine when needed. I figure if I can get on in 4, then I still have 2 putts to get my 6. Takes all the pressure off. And you'd be surprised how many bogeys you get to make up for 7s and 8s or 4s and 5s on the par 3s.

I'm no expert but I've been living the "trying to break 100" club every day.

My rounds have gone from averaging in the high 110s-120, to averaging low 100s. With more 90s to come!

Love this site so far and so glad to be part of the group!

Good thoughts about how to not always trying to make the "HERO" shot.  Something I have been trying to incorporate.

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site and I've been playing golf for about a year and a few months. I got the "fever" right away, and it hasn't lightened up. Seems like I'm reading about golf every night before bed and talking about golf during the day (when I can). I play on average probably 4-5 rounds a month. I'm always desperately trying to break 100, and today I shot a 99. Only my 3rd time doing it! And of course, as I'm sure most of you can relate, I can think back to probably 10 easy shots I screwed up. One thing I found very helpful was something I read in a golf digest magazine. If you score a 6 on every hole except the par 3s, and get a par on all the par 3s, you should get a 96. 48 on both sides. Trying to make par on all the par 3s puts a little pressure on, but it takes it all off on the other holes. Hit your drive short or in the trees? It's ok, you still have 5 shots to make it there. I don't try as many miracle shots, and it's easier to take my medicine when needed. I figure if I can get on in 4, then I still have 2 putts to get my 6. Takes all the pressure off. And you'd be surprised how many bogeys you get to make up for 7s and 8s or 4s and 5s on the par 3s. I'm no expert but I've been living the "trying to break 100" club every day. My rounds have gone from averaging in the high 110s-120, to averaging low 100s. With more 90s to come! Love this site so far and so glad to be part of the group!

Hi, @Coldspiderrave , welcome to the site! Lots of great information and helpful people here at TST. If you haven't done so already, I'm sure you'll find people willing to help you out if you create a My Swing Thread in this forum: http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings Like you, I eat, sleep, and breath golf to the point my girlfriend hates golf because of how much I watch and talk about it! Haha. Thankfully, she doesn't object to my playing it, though. :-) Anyways, poke around the site. I'm sure you'll find plenty to be helpful and entertaining. ;)

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's official. I just signed up for my first ever annual membership to a course. This is going to be my year to arrive and consistently shoot sub 100.
  • Upvote 2

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

It's official. I just signed up for my first ever annual membership to a course. This is going to be my year to arrive and consistently shoot sub 100.

Nice! Good luck reaching your goal!

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Than[quote name="RFKFREAK" url="/t/74913/breaking-bad-club-a-thread-for-golfers-trying-to-break-100/540#post_1108447"] Hi, @Coldspiderrave , welcome to the site! Lots of great information and helpful people here at TST. If you haven't done so already, I'm sure you'll find people willing to help you out if you create a My Swing Thread in this forum: http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings Like you, I eat, sleep, and breath golf to the point my girlfriend hates golf because of how much I watch and talk about it! Haha. Thankfully, she doesn't object to my playing it, though. :-) Anyways, poke around the site. I'm sure you'll find plenty to be helpful and entertaining. ;)[/quote] Thanks a bunch!!

• 2 weeks later...

Played 9 holes Friday and hit the play fairly well, distance was not good but ball flight was pretty good.  Played 18 holes at Ponta Creek Saturday Morning and played terrible.  Played 9 holes that afternoon at my course and drove the ball better but irons still not good.  Played 9 on Sunday afternoon and still did not play well but got my first birdie.  It was luck as it was on the 9th hole (par 4) and my 3rd shot was about 38 yards from the green.  Hit my SW but hit it thin and it was heading way to fast and would have landed 15-20 yards past the green but I did hit it straight and it hit the flag stick and fell in the hole.

Better to be lucky than good :-D

Here is my GameGolf stats for that round:

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/randyrives/round/211481

Once again, I need to get the GameGolf, nice breakdown of each shot RRives.  Looks like you are getting lots of golf opportunities in which is nice. We are a few days away from being dry enough to golf here in Indianapolis.

Also, congrats on your first birdie!

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Okay, so I have floated in and out of this thread since the beginning. And I have heard of Game Golf on a number of occasions. But this was the first time that I actually clicked on one of those links where it shows how your round was recorded...SUPER FREAKING COOL!!

Welp, I know what I'm going to be purchasing next!

Nike Covert 2.0 driver with Kuro Kage

Nike Covert Tour 3 wood

Nike Covert 5 wood

Nike Covert 4 hybrid

Nike VRS Forged irons 5i-GW

Callaway Forged Wedge 56deg

Callaway X-Forged Wedge 60deg

Odyssey White Hot XG #9 putter
2015 Sun Mountain Tour Series cart bag

Shot a 97 today, after the turn to 10(45) I was thinking I could have broke 90. Shot 4 over on 10. Quickly changed that possibility.

Shot a 97 today, after the turn to 10(45) I was thinking I could have broke 90. Shot 4 over on 10. Quickly changed that possibility.

Nice Round!  Won't be long till you will break 90!

Well Saturday was a Good/Bad day.   Did not hit the ball well at all, but had more Bogey's and Pars than Doubles or greater.  But did not break 100 for those that were bad they were real bad. (a couple of 8's)  Putting was very good had several 1 putt holes and only a couple of 3 putts (should not had any).    I knew it wasn't going to be a good day when I got to the course I realized I had not charged my GolfGame unit.  So no record of my game :-(

It went really well on the front. I don't know what the s.I. stuff means though.

I am not sure what S.I. stands for but I am pretty sure the numbers are the hole yardages.

Congrats on the 97!

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

I am not sure what S.I. stands for but I am pretty sure the numbers are the hole yardages.   Congrats on the 97!

S.I stands for stroke index, it's usually numbered 1 - 18, 1 being the hardest hole, 18 being the easiest, I'm guessing the si and the yardages have been misprinted on this card?

Gaz Lee

Same here.

I thought today was the day for me but I ended up with a 101.

So close but so far away.

Don

Took up golf late in life with a lot to catch up. 

Same here. I thought today was the day for me but I ended up with a 101. So close but so far away.

No way, you have so much room for improvement, it's way closer than you give yourself credit for! Good luck!

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I am not sure what S.I. stands for but I am pretty sure the numbers are the hole yardages.   Congrats on the 97!

[quote name="Hardballs" url="/t/74913/breaking-bad-club-a-thread-for-golfers-trying-to-break-100/540_60#post_1116427"] S.I stands for stroke index, it's usually numbered 1 - 18, 1 being the hardest hole, 18 being the easiest, I'm guessing the si and the yardages have been misprinted on this card?[/quote] Those aren't the yardages, but I could see someone mixing them up, I might have to go and correct the stroke index. Thanks for clarifying that I thought it was something like slope rating.

Note: This thread is 1500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!