IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1337 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Had a break out round yesterday at a new course for me. Played Pecan Hollow in Plano, Texas. Played one the best rounds ever. I shot a 94!!!:-D Played from the players tee which is 6012 yards in length. Closed with 2 pars and played the back nine at +10. So proud and I can do it again!!!
  • Upvote 1

Had a break out round yesterday at a new course for me. Played Pecan Hollow in Plano, Texas. Played one the best rounds ever. I shot a 94!!!:-D Played from the players tee which is 6012 yards in length. Closed with 2 pars and played the back nine at +10. So proud and I can do it again!!!

Great round man! That is impressive.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yesterday Saturday I got 39 stableford points which was quite good.. (lowers hcp by 3 points)

Then today on Sunday I got 37 stableford points which lowers hcp by 1 point, so golf was good in that sense. And it was a new golf course for me so it was good.

Still, I had too many thin shots and topped shots with all my irons, which was extremely frustrating.

Only good parts of my game today was driver and wedges.

Putting was the same old, same old... threeputt is my average putting.

I haven't found an effective putting technique yet. It's my dad's old putter - and I hate it LOL!!!

It's an odyssey putter or something like that with oversize grip. And he put this ridiculous lead tape in the putter-head, so I don't know if I want to keep it there anymore...

I still feel bad about following my dad's advice on this one shot from the rough... My dad just gave me bad advice there. I SHOULD HAVE WENT FOR THE GREEN (through some branches, through a clearing in the trees)

This so called "hero shot" was actually "safe shot". It was the most open path to the flag.

My dad's advice was to play 50 yards backwards, and onto the fairway...

Safe shot would leave me with like, 200+ yards theoretically to the flag. The only problem was that the flag was on top of a massive hill, about 150-200 yard altitude from the teebox down below.

(the teebox uphill was actually a skiing slope hill, you ski down from the hill in the wintertime, the golf course is summertime golf, and wintertime it's skiing center...It's on the same property so to speak)

WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED...

I hit the safe shot according to my dad, and it bounced off a tree back into the rough, ouch.

Next shot, I went for the hero shot as I had intended originally.

I shot a beautiful pitching wedge... through branches... uphill from the rough... just into the foregreen. With a nine-iron I suspect I would have hit further on the green quite well.

so here is a question that might sound kind of stupid. heres the pretext to the question first, i have broken 100 a few times over the past season and start of this season and even broke 90 on some easier courses. however i still shoot 100+ with ease. and even though i started to play rounds that keep trouble clubs out of play i still flub iron and wedge shots, hit some very thin and even take some very nice divots 2-5 inches behind the ball. so the question is; how do i or how does one start to remove these shots from a round? yes i know practice practice practice and lessons however most people are busy and dont have time to practice a few times a week. the other problem is some of the ranges i go to use mats and that tends to eliminate some of the "bad technique" and even though it seems like most of us are struggling to break 100 maybe everyone has strengths in their game that we all can learn and build from.

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

Hit fewer balls during practice and take one at a time out of the basket. Do your pre shot routine and make a good feeling swing. Don't get too hung up on different stuff you need to change , keep your swing thoughts simple. Also try going for 3/4 shots. You'll typically make better contact.

More progress! Managed to shoot 96 yesterday including quite a few penalty balls. If it wasnt for those I figure I would have been in the 80s. Felt very good.

Nice!

I think I am ready for consistent high 90's now.  Tuesday is my next 9 hole test ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

dang I actually shot again 108... last weekend. That being said I quit the first hole. So no stableford points or strokes recorded on that one.  But the course was somewhat difficult I suppose. Actually the weather conditions were horrible on that day. Massive counter-wind against our shots, unpredictable crosswinds. I almost lost my hat to the wind breezes!!!

Second day, totally new course, I shot 119. I got stableford points from 16 holes out of 18 so it was good steady pace for gathering those stableford points. My putts didn't go exactly so well. The only good putting I can do is from short ranges. I was able to make bogeys and pars like that, on several holes, by making good wedge shot, and good putt closer to the hole, and tap-in putt.

I was occasionally in the forests with my driver slices, searching the ball, but on the other occasions, I was in  the fairway and long with  my driver so it wasn't only slice-city !!!

one ball in davy jones' locker and two balls OB driver.

I was also overshotting the greeens with wrong club selection in my wedges. Sometimes undershooting the green with wedge straight into bunker LOL.

I will have to research Stableford points... I am clueless on what they are.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

I will have to research Stableford points... I am clueless on what they are.

OK ... its not just me then ... I am clueless as well.

I have used them in a tournament scoring,

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

OK ... its not just me then ... I am clueless as well.

I have used them in a tournament scoring,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stableford

I'm also guessing that he uses stableford points as a metric for his "handicap". I think it is kind of odd that he would do that rather than just use his gross course adjusted score for handicap.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

[URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stableford]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stableford[/URL] I'm also guessing that he uses stableford points as a metric for his "handicap". I think it is kind of odd that he would do that rather than just use his gross course adjusted score for handicap.

Thx Lihu!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stableford

I'm also guessing that he uses stableford points as a metric for his "handicap". I think it is kind of odd that he would do that rather than just use his gross course adjusted score for handicap.

Stableford is the official scoring method for handicap in my country that's why. Matchplay for example are not eligible scorecards for handicap. Only eligible scores are stableford scoring. :whistle:

And it makes your score look better, wasted holes don't drag your score down. instead you just get 0 points for that hole. I suppsoe, it could promote more aggressive playing though. (you don't really get penalized that much for mistakes in stableford score, where as standard strokeplay everry stroke is equal value in the scorecard)

Stableford is the official scoring method for handicap in my country that's why. Matchplay for example are not eligible scorecards for handicap. Only eligible scores are stableford scoring.

And it makes your score look better, wasted holes don't drag your score down. instead you just get 0 points for that hole. I suppsoe, it could promote more aggressive playing though. (you don't really get penalized that much for mistakes in stableford score, where as standard strokeplay everry stroke is equal value in the scorecard)

When you post the handicap on this forum, it is preferred that you can choose USGA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handicap_%28golf%29

This way everyone can reference your handicap, which you mentioned is around 28-30 by USGA calculations?

Just ask @David in FL he's the real handicap advocate around here. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

In assessing the current state of my game, I thought I was playing too much. Sounds strange to say that. I'm pushing myself to get more time at the range before my next 18 (hopefully this Saturday).

My big misses are fat shots and RIGHT (push, push slice, and straight slice) and struggle to get anything to move straight or left. I am not consistent in releasing the club. I took a lesson 2 weeks ago and was given a few drills/tips. The guy basically said to over-exaggerate the motions to make the ball go left. I didn't put in enough time to groove a swing and results were worse than before.

Monday: 2 hour session. Focusing on ball striking and hitting the ball straight or left. Took things really slow. Used a CamDaddy to film swings and tried to correct the obvious flaws. Several "coaches in training" wanted to give all types of advice and tips against my wishes. I eventually started to hit straight and slight draw shots with the irons. Best session ever.

Tuesday morning (today): another 2 hour session. Spent about 45 minutes chipping. Most chipping I had ever practiced. I was able to hit chips that roll out or land softly. I can't wait to try to this on the course. I'm so afraid to chip, I usually opt to putt anywhere near the green regardless of length, rough, etc. That should change in my next round.

Spent the remaining time on the full swing (SW to 7i) continuing my progress from Monday. I have been hitting the ball a little cleaner the last few days. No nearly as mainly fat shots. I've been hitting off mats the last 2 days. Hopefully, I am able to hit off the ground as things dry out.

I will probably take a day off. I'm a little sore and I don't want to hurt something.

For any golfer that shoots "around" 100... I believe you can consistently shoot mid 90s with course management alone.  This includes being honest about your game.  Tee off with long irons if your driver is costing you strokes.  (I golfed in the 80s doing this years ago)  Set up your approach shot to a distance you love.  Don't just hit it as close to the green as you can.  This leads to a lot of 50-60 yard "feel" shots.  Know where your miss is and play accordingly.  If you can take one side of the golf course out of the equation... you are golden.

I usually shoot in the 70s, but my buddy used to shoot 100+.  He used to automatically grab his driver on every par 4 and 5.  Now, he thinks about where he wants his approach shot to be from and plays accordingly.  He shoots in the mid 90s now from course management alone.

On par 4s... If I can't reach them (95% of the time) , I will just subtract 100 yards from the hole distance and use the proper club.  Sometimes it's a driver, but more times than not it's a hybrid, 3-wood or my trusty 4 iron.

Good luck, guys!  It's hard to believe, but the better you get... the MORE addicting golf becomes.  There's always a "next level" to get to.

Cheers!

I shot a 51 tonight with two penalty shots ...

For me at this juncture, its just trusting what I know I can do and not hanging on ... or trying to look up to see how I did at the beginning of my swing instead of the end.

Note: This thread is 1337 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!