IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

7 hours ago, StuM said:

I’ve never tried a dry brine.

Dry brining is easy. You salt the meat and let it sit in the fridge. For really thick cuts like a pork butt, I usually do 36 hours. Turkey is thinner so, 24 is good.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

My first attempt at Ciabatta.

IMG_2287.jpeg

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

9 hours ago, saevel25 said:

My first attempt at Ciabatta.

IMG_2287.jpeg

Pretty good first attempt!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thought I’d chime in on what came off the grill with griddle pans:  grilled salmon, grilled mahi mahi, grilled shrimp, grilled chicken and grilled/griddled veggies along with baked potato: 

IMG_7737.thumb.jpeg.33fe478dad2ddf83c5ad3ff28949e602.jpeg

amazing what you can do with a poor man’s Blackstone…

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

• 2 weeks later...

Getting ready for 1st holiday dinner.  Step #1 for a good Prime Rib is bring it up to room temp before cooking.

IMG_8727.jpeg

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

12 hours ago, StuM said:

Getting ready for 1st holiday dinner.  Step #1 for a good Prime Rib is bring it up to room temp before cooking.

IMG_8727.jpeg

🥺started so well…..I’ve cooked a lot of Prime ribs over the years and our friends swear it is the best they ever eat.  I am at a loss on today, total FAIL! 🤬 

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

8 minutes ago, StuM said:

🥺started so well…..I’ve cooked a lot of Prime ribs over the years and our friends swear it is the best they ever eat.  I am at a loss on today, total FAIL! 🤬 

Was the beef just bad? Over-cooked? 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

29 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

i cook them at 500 degrees for 5 min per pound then turn off I an.  It should be medium rare at 2 hours. This does not need resting since it is rested in the oven as the temp decreases.  I used this method several time with great results.

Everything looked good but then it just seemed to stop cooking at 111 degrees on the thermometer.  I turned the oven back on at @ 225 to get it cooking but after another 90 minutes it  was just hitting 118 degrees. It should have been done 60 minutes earlier.

At that point all of the sides were getting cold and I had guests waiting.  I pulled it out knowing it was undercooked and tried to finish it with a quick dip in hot Au Jus.

Our guests were polite but it was not as it should have been. Not as flavorful and not as tender as it should have been.

Stuart M.

10 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Looking back at the photo the meat was not as well marbled and the fat cap was thin which probably hurt the tenderness & flavor.  

Stuart M.

• Administrator
12 hours ago, StuM said:

i cook them at 500 degrees for 5 min per pound then turn off I an.

Wow. I would literally go at about half that temperature and probably three times or four times as long. Maybe more.

Impress your holiday guests with Alton Brown's simple but best Standing Rib Roast recipe. Tender...

Lots of ways to do it but I’ve found that slow is worth the wait.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Wow. I would literally go at about half that temperature and probably three times or four times as long. Maybe more.

Impress your holiday guests with Alton Brown's simple but best Standing Rib Roast recipe. Tender...

Lots of ways to do it but I’ve found that slow is worth the wait.

I agree. I like a low and slow to temp, then finish on high heat. Even sous vide is a possibility. I feel like with the amount of fat in a prime rib, it benefits from the low and slow method to render some of that down. You tend to end up with more edge to edge medium rare doneness. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I agree. I like a low and slow to temp, then finish on high heat. Even sous vide is a possibility. I feel like with the amount of fat in a prime rib, it benefits from the low and slow method to render some of that down. You tend to end up with more edge to edge medium rare doneness. 

It is only hot for 5 min per pound, do a 6 lb roast is 30 minutes at 500 to sear then shut off for 2 hours.  I’ve done it many times.

With the 500 rule (closed oven method), it's easy to cook prime rib roasts to a perfect medium rare...

Stuart M.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, StuM said:

It is only hot for 5 min per pound, do a 6 lb roast is 30 minutes at 500 to sear then shut off for 2 hours.  I’ve done it many times.

But it didn't work this time. 😉  You basically do the same thing but in reverse:

• 500° for 30 minutes.
  • Decreasing temperatures for two hours, but literally mandated by how quickly your oven cools.

I'd see that as a better way to go if you set the oven temp to 225° or something, and it'd help mitigate if someone opened the oven door. The method I use (and maybe @saevel25😞

• Slow cook it at ~250° for hours.
  • Let it rest (it continues to warm in the middle).
  • Sear the outside after you hit your target temperature.

I don't think I could trust the "closed oven method. Someone opening the oven door out of habit or ignorance could ruin the timing. I also think that your method keeps the oven at 475°, and then 450°, and then 425°, and so on much longer.

That feels too reliant on how quickly your oven bleeds off the temperature for my tastes.

I've done it this way many times, too, and except for the first time when my mother-in-law thought it wouldn't take too long, and we ate dinner pretty late, it's been great every time.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

But it didn't work this time. 😉  You basically do the same thing but in reverse:

• 500° for 30 minutes.
  • Decreasing temperatures for two hours, but literally mandated by how quickly your oven cools.

I'd see that as a better way to go if you set the oven temp to 225° or something, and it'd help mitigate if someone opened the oven door. The method I use (and maybe @saevel25😞

• Slow cook it at ~250° for hours.
  • Let it rest (it continues to warm in the middle).
  • Sear the outside after you hit your target temperature.

I don't think I could trust the "closed oven method. Someone opening the oven door out of habit or ignorance could ruin the timing. I also think that your method keeps the oven at 475°, and then 450°, and then 425°, and so on much longer.

That feels too reliant on how quickly your oven bleeds off the temperature for my tastes.

I've done it this way many times, too, and except for the first time when my mother-in-law thought it wouldn't take too long, and we ate dinner pretty late, it's been great every time.

I’ve done it in this exact oven so I do not think it cooling to fast was the issue.  Now you mdd ex noon it, I wonder if one of our friends thought to take a peak and opened the oven.  That would explains a lot.

Stuart M.

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

I would need an accurate oven thermometer. Oven's can be finicky, inaccurate. If it starts to lose its insulation, it can loose temp faster. 

I think a reverse sear method is much more safe. Even if you didn't get it out of the fridge soon enough, it's a gentle heat that it might take an extra hour, but you won't mess it up. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I would need an accurate oven thermometer. Oven's can be finicky, inaccurate. If it starts to lose its insulation, it can loose temp faster. 

You, I use one of those digital thermometers so I can monitor the nest temp without opening the oven.  That is how I initially knew I had a problem, the meat tdmp  stopped increasing.

mor I think about it the more I think someone opened the oven and let the heat out.  

Stuart M.

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I think a reverse sear method is much more safe. Even if you didn't get it out of the fridge soon enough, it's a gentle heat that it might take an extra hour, but you won't mess it up. 

Yep.

I think it also makes a bit more sense to me than searing the outside and hoping it all cooks inward from there, particularly as you're keeping the oven at > 400° for over an hour.

Cooked up a prime rib today. I actually turned a 7lb prime rib into two 3.5-lb prime rib. I cooked each at 250 degrees for about 2.5 hours. I then set the oven to 500 to brown it, and proceeded to set off the fire alarms 🤣. I didn't have any instant read thermometer, so I used a metal BBQ skewer that I used to gauge the internal temp by pressing it against the back of my hand. I ended up with perfect medium rare! 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag