IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

Made this recipe a few days ago: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/02/dining/02mini.html?WT.mc_id=yt_nyt491&WT.mc;_ev=click&_r=0&adxnnl;=1&adxnnlx;=1415547599-bBZHi9OcfkJifIBWx2z8lg Turned out really good. I substituted kale (added in right at the end so it didn't get too mushy and gross) for the chicken. That let me check the doneness of the pasta more often so I knew when to take it off.

I dont see the link. Its a home page.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

• Administrator

I dont see the link. Its a home page.

Worked for me. Two separate days.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Worked for me. Two separate days.

Worked for me as well.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

[QUOTE name="iacas" url="/t/74957/food-thread/216#post_1073541"]   Worked for me. Two separate days. [/QUOTE] Worked for me as well.

Its working now. Musta been the Russians.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

For the Canadian friends. [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E064kb3UnU[/VIDEO]

Tom R.

What do you employ to stop flare ups on your grill?

Tom R.

What do you employ to stop flare ups on your grill?

I have a water bottle with a spray attachment. It even puts out oil fires, kind of.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Do you use lava rocks or have some other device under the grate?

Tom R.

Do you use lava rocks or have some other device under the grate?

Fake charcoals. They even out the flames a bit.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I had an epiphany and started moistening my lava rocks as they flare. Its kinda amazing to cook like that, and definitely not recommended, so as usual I had to try it. Its a crazy combo of steam, fire, dry heat, moist heat, and hollywood pyrotechnics. Evidently the internet says the rocks will explode, which mine do not, and doesnt say how much moisture the rocks can hold, which is the neat part. And its really clean to boot. I may blow up my grill and take a good section of deck off with it, but so far its really cool. I was grilling, and having flares, and I decided to try putting myself in the shoes of the persons who came up with lava rock in the first place, because I wasnt having positive thoughts about them, and realized they could not have been that wrong on a product shipped internationally, so I must be misunderstanding how to use them. I have never been to Hawaii, and the only real lava images I know of I had seen on tv. What hit me was the images of the lava hitting the ocean water, and since I knew how porous the lava rock was, I had a eureka moment and havent looked back. But its lonely out here on the fringe and I thought I would ask about how others handle flares. I once had this little box that kinda acted like a catalytic converter with the low oxygen coating it had on it, but it was 100 bucks and tended to rust out if you nicked the special coating. I havent been able to find them anymore since the Great Recession, but that thing was the best anti flare device I had used to date. I think it was called a grillmate or a chefsmate. It was from Australia. Very good for dry grilling. This lava rock thing has some legs now though. Very juicy results.

Tom R.

I had an epiphany and started moistening my lava rocks as they flare. Its kinda amazing to cook like that, and definitely not recommended, so as usual I had to try it. Its a crazy combo of steam, fire, dry heat, moist heat, and hollywood pyrotechnics. Evidently the internet says the rocks will explode, which mine do not, and doesnt say how much moisture the rocks can hold, which is the neat part. And its really clean to boot. I may blow up my grill and take a good section of deck off with it, but so far its really cool.

I was grilling, and having flares, and I decided to try putting myself in the shoes of the persons who came up with lava rock in the first place, because I wasnt having positive thoughts about them, and realized they could not have been that wrong on a product shipped internationally, so I must be misunderstanding how to use them. I have never been to Hawaii, and the only real lava images I know of I had seen on tv. What hit me was the images of the lava hitting the ocean water, and since I knew how porous the lava rock was, I had a eureka moment and havent looked back. But its lonely out here on the fringe and I thought I would ask about how others handle flares.

I once had this little box that kinda acted like a catalytic converter with the low oxygen coating it had on it, but it was 100 bucks and tended to rust out if you nicked the special coating. I havent been able to find them anymore since the Great Recession, but that thing was the best anti flare device I had used to date. I think it was called a grillmate or a chefsmate. It was from Australia. Very good for dry grilling. This lava rock thing has some legs now though. Very juicy results.

This is okay for quick BBQ, but if you want to slow cook I would use real coals in a "smoker". Open the vents just enough air to the coals to continue to smoulder for 3-6 hours or so.

My mom cooked a goose on our BBQ which started a real fire. I eventually put it out with a garden hose. I though it was a complete waste, but pulled out the goose and wiped off the black layer of burned grease from the goose. Turned out the meat was really tasty, and the fat separated the skin from the meat. With some marmalade sauce, that goose tasted really good. The meat was a perfect soft moist texture with just a barely perceptible "goose" flavor.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Isnt it funny how hot you can cook a bird and that skin really seperates the heat from the meat. I am toying with smoking a turkey I have defrosting in my small fridge. Its a fairly big bird, and I have no idea which wood I should use.

Tom R.

My smokers can handle a turkey I think.

I've never smoked a turkey, but I would break it down and do it in pieces.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Yeah there is this thing called a spatchcocked turkey I was gonna look into.

Tom R.

• Administrator
I've never smoked a turkey, but I would break it down and do it in pieces.

I have - twice now. Best turkey I've ever had. Just a turkey breast, all in one, smoked for about 2.5 hours. I make the rub myself by just mixing a bunch of stuff together until it tastes good.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have - twice now. Best turkey I've ever had. Just a turkey breast, all in one, smoked for about 2.5 hours. I make the rub myself by just mixing a bunch of stuff together until it tastes good.

Do you brine it first? I always brine my turkeys (and pork loin, too).

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Do you brine it first? I always brine my turkeys (and pork loin, too).

No. No need to at all.

I thaw it, pat it dry, rub it, and smoke it.