IGNORED

Booking a tee time as a single

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 3575 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am sort of torn here. I dont have any solid golf buddies in New Jersey since I havent lived here long. I play once a week at a minimum, and really want to play all the courses so I can find my favorite. I think this hinders my scoring since having some knowledge of the course is good for 3 shots IMO. I noticed that when I replayed a course I played it much better and a litte differently the first time. Unfortunatley not every course offers tee times for singles on Sunday morning. Its a struggle on whether I should keep playing the same course and score better, or check out all that NJ has to offer and suffer a stroke or two for a while. I need a regular buddy so we can go out and tear up courses together lol.

Thoughts on playing new courses and how your score is afftected with no previous knowledge?

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What time do you usually like to play on Sundays?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Usually Ill play whenever, however this week Im hoping to tee off before 9:30 as I have afternoon obligations..(watching US Open) lol

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Two things:

First of all, as an 11 HDCP, you probably have the ability to adjust to different conditions as they unfold. So, playing different courses shouldn't be as big a thing as for a higher HDCP. Also, many course websites now have "hole by hole" tours, and sometimes a video fly-over of each hole. Take this info and note any "surprises" you might face - like a dogleg par 4 where the far side of the landing area is a creek. Once you play a course a couple of times, you get a feel for it.

Second, talk to the pro shop staff and starters at different courses about singles policies. Some courses have a strict "no singles" policy at peak time, while others will maintain a waiting list to fill singles into groups with no-shows. Also, take a look at the online tee times format for different courses. Many in our area will show a slot for a single or a twosome, meaning the main group doesn't have four people.

At my home course - unless there's a golf tournament going on - the starter usually can fit me into a group within an hour.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Yeah Im not used to the whole walk on thing. I like to be a little more structured in that I know when I am teeing off.

Kyle Paulhus

Usually Ill play whenever, however this week Im hoping to tee off before 9:30 as I have afternoon obligations..(watching US Open) lol

We will have to get together sometime. I haven't played a lot of different courses around, but if you're looking for a regular partner I could join you.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I have the same issue in that not many of the guys I hang out with also play golf so I usually end up going out as a single. Fortunately, the course by my house is pretty accomodating to singles and they can usually get me out with little notice late afternoons when its not packed. It does limit me, though, since it is hard to get on most other courses as a single. I've found golfnow can be helfpful since they do let you search and book with area courses for single tee times. I'm not entirely familiar with how the relationship works but, if I had to guess, the courses probably use golfnow to fill-out foursomes so you usually end up playing with 2 or 3 other guys who came together and know each other. My only suggestion if your going to use golfnow, make sure you still call ahead of time to confirm your tee time. I had one past issue with getting to course only to find out my golfnow booking wasn't being honored (more of a systems issue from what I could gather).

I go out as a single at least half of the times I play.  In addition to the above advice, you may want to learn to embrace afternoon golf, which has become my favorite time (you can record the Open).   On many courses, weekend afternoons are fairly open and on the ones I play typically less than 4 hours (last Sunday was 3hrs 10 min).  If you can afford it, most courses have reduced green fees at a certain time of day and I would suggest taking a tee time about 30 minutes to an hour before the reduced fees.  I often wind up paired with another golfer or twosome, but many times play the course by myself with no one directly in front of or behind me.  Sunday afternoons in the Fall when the NFL is on (i am a college football fan) is a great time to be on the course.  Either way, the rounds usually are played with little waiting and I am home in time for a scotch and cigar before dinner.

One word of caution - courses that are heavily publicized or crowded muni's will be, well, crowded on weekend afternoons.

If you live in a populated area, few courses will allow singles during peak time.   Why would you want to play alone behind 4-somes?  This would be pure torture.  Once you grow accustomed to pairing up, it will become 2nd nature.  Unless I was the first player on the course, I want nothing to do with playing as a single.  I always show up early and I'm paired pretty fast......

You'll soon see the benefits of not being anchored down by a tee time...LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

When I say going as a single, I don't mean playing by myself. I don't mind being paired up with someone. It would just be nice to at last play with someone I'm familiar with. Going on as a single u never know what you're getting. I've had guys swap balls on the green cuz they didn't want to lose their "lucky putting ball" off the tee.

Kyle Paulhus

If you live in a populated area, few courses will allow singles during peak time.   Why would you want to play alone behind 4-somes?  This would be pure torture.  Once you grow accustomed to pairing up, it will become 2nd nature.  Unless I was the first player on the course, I want nothing to do with playing as a single.  I always show up early and I'm paired pretty fast...... You'll soon see the benefits of not being anchored down by a tee time...LOL

Around here, especially on the weekends, courses can get so busy that you can't walk on. You're rolling the dice if you show up without a tee time. Other problem is, a lot of the courses I know won't let you create a booking as a solo. You can add yourself onto an established two or three some, but you're at the mercy of the fates, there. I've done that a couple of times, booked a tee time I wasn't particularly fond of because that was What was available to me, only to get to the course and find out I could have started earlier.

Bill

My Swing Thread

The Friday before Memorial Day I played green knoll and I was the only person on the course. Literally. There were 3 cars in the parking lot at 2 pm on a Friday. It wasn't that great of a course IMO so I'm looking to play a lot more before I pass judgement.

Kyle Paulhus

Yeah Im not used to the whole walk on thing. I like to be a little more structured in that I know when I am teeing off.

You have been more fortunate than I have many times.  Although my home course takes singles for reservations, back in the day it was first come, first served on the evening that reservations opened.  Some phone exchanges seemed to have an advantage for some reason, and although I was only 10 minutes from the course, I rarely got through before the times were filled through mid afternoon on Saturday or Sunday.  That meant that I had a choice of not playing, or going in as a walk-on and getting on the wait list.  Some days the list went fast, others I've waited for more than 1½ hours, then had them take me off the list.

When I buddy and I played together, one of us would get to the course at about 3:30 AM to get on a list for playing the one time in five that was left open for walk on play.  ON those days, we would play first thing at dawn, usually between 5:30 and 6 AM, then have lunch and play another 18 afterward.  We have played 72 holes in 2 days that way.  That was back in the late 80's and early 90's though.  I got married in '93 and although my play didn't stop, it did slow down a bit. ;-)

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

When I was a member of a club In Jacksonville, Florida I played 18 Friday after work, and 36 sat and Sunday every weekend in the summer. So 5 rounds a weekend and two walking 9's on Tuesday and thurs night, course was closed Monday so I did my Chopin and putting and Wednesday I hit balls. I literally lived at the course when I was single. I averaged about 130-140 rounds a year.

Kyle Paulhus

@chris08527 where do u usually play?

Kyle Paulhus

I play new courses a lot lately and I think you pretty much should do what ever you feel like doing. I get a little tired of hitting a ball some place I think is safe only to find out you are behind the eight ball. Most people know the courses they play or have practice rounds to get acquainted so there is no shame in replaying a track.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Most courses seem to have an online booking feature where you schedule your own time and simply show up.  Occasionally I've seen them only allow groups of 2 or more but that seems to be uncommon and singles can easily schedule a tee time.  Yesterday when I played for example I scheduled as a single and got paired with a twosome and another single.  Our times were spread across 3 different blocks and the starter just combined us.  I didn't really care but the point is no matter what you schedule as you might get shuffled around anyway.

Note: This thread is 3575 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!