IGNORED

Tobacco products on golf course

whatwoodtigerdo
Note: This thread is 3736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

:cry: OMG...Thirty feet away, outdoors. Whiner or weenie, I'd of told you to suck it up. :doh:

Well if I can smell the smoke, then I am getting second hand smoke. I prefer not to get lung cancer when I never once smoked in my life. So how about you actually gain some respect for others and be considerate that people don't want to smell your death sticks. But I guess by your posts that bit of consideration is sadly beyond you.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Please watch the attacks against other posters.  Your last comment was not appropriate.

I don't believe that post was directed at Matt, I think that was in regards to a situation he encountered himself with another person.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I don't believe that post was directed at Matt, I think that was in regards to a situation he encountered himself with another person.

I agree with that, but still not appropriate.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

I agree with that, but still not appropriate.

True enough. I'm curious why it's necessary to smoke at the range anyway, but then again I'm only ever at the range for about an hour or so, which may be a shorter period of time than most other people. I can go without just about anything besides breathing for an hour. But then again I don't smoke so it's hard to understand the mindset anyway.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

True enough. I'm curious why it's necessary to smoke at the range anyway, but then again I'm only ever at the range for about an hour or so, which may be a shorter period of time than most other people. I can go without just about anything besides breathing for an hour. But then again I don't smoke so it's hard to understand the mindset anyway.

Agreed.

I fully believe in smokers rights even though i can not stand the smell of cigarettes. I smoked cigarettes for 25 years and enjoy my cigars, but I can not fathom how anyone would need to light up a cigarette on the range.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Agreed.

I fully believe in smokers rights even though i can not stand the smell of cigarettes. I smoked cigarettes for 25 years and enjoy my cigars, but I can not fathom how anyone would need to light up a cigarette on the range.

I agree, I wouldn't ban smoking, but keep it on your own property. If you need to go smoke, go stand by your car or, way out of the way. Seriously, standing over the ball smoking, trying to hit shots, while other people are around you is just being inconsiderate.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Agreed.

Eh, I usually have a smoke mid-way between my bucket or bunker/putting/chipping session. I usually purposely go as far away from everyone as possible both for my own comfort and concentration and due to the fact that I know I'll smoke. Obviously, if there are kids around or people closer to me than 20 yards or so, I usually just don't smoke. It's a case-by-case basis for me. If I'm out there with nobody in sight, I'm not hurting anyone else by smoking. If it's a packed line though I'm not going to light up right next to you. Some people take the "it's my right" thing a little too far and forget that they don't have a right to be an inconsiderate ass to other people.

It never occurred to me to smoke on the range.  Usually, I smoke on the course. Let's face it, smoking is largely a coping mechanism. With my game (or lack there of) I've got a lot to cope with.

I suppose I could be more careful anytime I'm playing with a stranger to gauge their tolerance level and adjust appropriately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CR McDivot

OMG...Thirty feet away, outdoors. Whiner or weenie, I'd of told you to suck it up.

Well if I can smell the smoke, then I am getting second hand smoke. I prefer not to get lung cancer when I never once smoked in my life. So how about you actually gain some respect for others and be considerate that people don't want to smell your death sticks. But I guess by your posts that bit of consideration is sadly beyond you.

Thank you.  Just what I'd have said.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I think consideration for people who do not like the smell of tobacco smoke is proper, but I do think there is hysteria regarding the health impacts of tobacco smoke in open areas.  I will make the assumption that you drive to and from the golf course and range as do most of us, and here is something to consider when worrying about your health:

http://www.hybridcars.com/health-effects/

Again, I do not smoke on the course and if I do smoke I am having a cigar on my own property.  I just believe that it is ironic that we breathe in a ton of toxic elements every day, especially in outdoor areas in cities, yet if some people smell tobacco smoke in those areas they want it banned because they are going to get lung cancer.

I think consideration for people who do not like the smell of tobacco smoke is proper, but I do think there is hysteria regarding the health impacts of tobacco smoke in open areas.  I will make the assumption that you drive to and from the golf course and range as do most of us, and here is something to consider when worrying about your health:

Again, I do not smoke on the course and if I do smoke I am having a cigar on my own property.  I just believe that it is ironic that we breathe in a ton of toxic elements every day, especially in outdoor areas in cities, yet if some people smell tobacco smoke in those areas they want it banned because they are going to get lung cancer.

I think the reasoning is because it's something you can control. You can't stop people from driving cars, but you can stop them from smoking in public. It's a small measure, to be sure, considering all the other pollution that is in the air. However, any reduction in the pollution is still good.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

For me its about being a necessary evil. As of right now I need a car that runs on gas. I do not, and people do not need cigarettes. If I was able to get around with just an electric car with all I wanted to do, then yes I would be doing that.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I still avoid people when smoking anywhere just because I know it is a nasty habit and I choose not to put other people off due to my own stupidity for smoking. I do agree that some people are overly paranoid about things such as this though. Not all, but some. Usually it's the same type of people who are afraid that their iPhone is going to give them a brain tumor yet they're outside at a cookout or concert all day with no sunscreen on. I'm pretty sure the ionizing rays blasting you from the sun are a million times worse for you than Siri. However, smoking within 10 yards of people is still too close in my opinion as a smoker. I try to go as far away from people as possible. If someone is literally 100 yards away and has a problem with it, that's just asinine in my opinion. There's a certain common sense limit that has to be applied, a middle-ground of reason if you will.

I also think it's really rude to smoke around people in your group, or next to someone in your cart if they are a non-smoker. I see that pretty often as well.

On a side and unrelated note, some goon in our office building last week said that WiFi routers are like microwave ovens and he refused to have one in his office as a result. I had to let him know that a Microwave oven can produce up to 2000 Watts, however that radiation and power is focused on a 1-2 cubic foot area within the contained oven. WiFi routers are barely putting out 1 Watt and it's emitted/dissipated in all directions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJpatbee

For me its about being a necessary evil. As of right now I need a car that runs on gas. I do not, and people do not need cigarettes. If I was able to get around with just an electric car with all I wanted to do, then yes I would be doing that.

And that isn't going to happen until they invent the instant charge battery that will go for 400 miles on a 2 minute charge.  Hybrids are fine but many aren't as much an improvement on the standard gasoline engine as people think.  They are really only effective in an urban environment with a lot of stop and go traffic.  The electric running gear just adds extra weight to haul around when driving on the highway.

Even all electric cars don't really do that much for pollution in areas where power is mostly derived from coal.  The power plant still has to burn the coal to generate the power to charge your battery.  The only thing that changes is the source of the emissions.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

And that isn't going to happen until they invent the instant charge battery that will go for 400 miles on a 2 minute charge.  Hybrids are fine but many aren't as much an improvement on the standard gasoline engine as people think.  They are really only effective in an urban environment with a lot of stop and go traffic.  The electric running gear just adds extra weight to haul around when driving on the highway.

Even all electric cars don't really do that much for pollution in areas where power is mostly derived from coal.  The power plant still has to burn the coal to generate the power to charge your battery.  The only thing that changes is the source of the emissions.

Which could be more important than you think. If power plans are isolated away from populated areas then you can reduce emissions around people. So in the end that could be a good reason to go with electric cars.

Still, tobacco isn't required by anybody. It is just a vice that people allow themselves to have.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Which could be more important than you think. If power plans are isolated away from populated areas then you can reduce emissions around people. So in the end that could be a good reason to go with electric cars.

Still, tobacco isn't required by anybody. It is just a vice that people allow themselves to have.

And it's a faculty proven that the reason people feel they enjoy it is not because nicotine actually makes you feel good (as alcohol can) it just stops you feeling shitty as you are dependent and in withdrawal from nicotine. Hence why almost no one will really enjoy their first few cigarettes

Henry

I'm a very outspoken and vigorious anti-smoker.

But I'm more committed to freedom.  I trust individuals to make choices best for themselves.

So, for a MUNICIPAL course - I don't like it one bit.  Government should stay out of people's habits.  Frankly, why do we even need municipal courses at all.  There are plenty of private courses that are open to the general public.  If a course can't stay open without tax subsidies, then it shouldn't exist.  If it can, then it doesn't need to be run by the public, the private market will fill the void.

Now, for a PRIVATE course - they have the right to do whatever they wish on their property.  Absolutely.  All other things equal, I'd join a non-smoking course over the other - easy decision.

I consider these two views to be very compatible.

My bigger concern is that if they succeed in banning it at the municipal courses, how long will it be before they decide they have the power to invoke on private courses and similar businesses.........

I'm a bit confused by people that say it would be a bad business choice - It simply can't be a blanket statement.  It all clearly depends on the locale so it's on a course by course basis if the gains in customers that appreciate the effort would overbalance the knee jerk reactions of some plus the smokers that are so addicted they just can't golf there at all.

Prior to the (completely unnecessary and violation of private business rights to make their own business choices) smoking ban on restaurants here in my area, it was clear when visiting most every restaurant around here that no-smoking policies would be greatly welcome - entering any restaurant with segregated sections would have packed non-smoking areas and nearly empty smoking areas - it was ridiculous - any business owner that didn't see that every single day deserved to go out of business.  yet still, the state insisted on pushing their noses where it wasn't necessary or welcome.

Bill - 

--having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a pool---

excellent

I still avoid people when smoking anywhere just because I know it is a nasty habit and I choose not to put other people off due to my own stupidity for smoking.

I thank you for this.  If everyone had this position, we'd not have issues.  Also if they close their car windows when they smoke.... ;-)

But I have to tell you, 99% of all smokers say they are this way, but in reality, I'd say only about 5% actually practice what they say they do.  Some are jerks, but most just have the habit so ingrained that they are most likely oblivious about it.  Same with those that "always" use ashtrays.  I just don't believe it when I see them flick a butt on the grass 10 minutes after they made they claim.

context >

Heck here at work, I've seen smokers (required out doors in designated shelters) take a huge drag right at the inlet of the building and reenter and hold it as long as they can.  I'm certain it's not to piss off non-smokers, rather they just ''need'' that last lungful so desperately.  When I worked in DC, smokers stand right at the entrance and can't be bothered to go to the ashtrays located at the building corners.  These examples prevail - not decent guys you and those likeminded

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 3736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!