IGNORED

How to Grip a Golf Club, Commonalities of a Functional Golf Grip

mvmac

I am fighting my grip since I got my new PING i25 clubs two weeks ago. I started playing June 2014 (TaylorMade Speedblade clubs) and got used to my previous GolfPride Tour Velvet Jumbo grips. New clubs, new PING Midsize grips (smaller grips as a result of the PING fitting). The clubs are amazing, but I am fighting my grip since I swing the new clubs. I am fighting a strong left hand and a weak right hand. A couple of seconds before I start my backswing my right hand turns towards the target and gets really weak - I don't understand why and I simply can't fix it. Perhaps it is mental? I thought it might be best to swap back to my old grips - I am still fighting the same problem.

I practiced a lot the last week and found out that I should grip the club more through the fingers with my left hand. Now the Jumbo grips are actually too thick? I attached two pictures. First one is the PING Midsize grip, second one the Tour Velvet Jumbo grip. What do you guys think about it?

I am fighting a gap between the shaft and the thumb pad with the Jumbo grips too. But I can't get it "right" (what is right?) with the Midsize grip either. I am a little lost.

I know grip changes never come easy. Perhaps it might be worth trying the PING Jumbo grips and compare them to the Tour Velvet Jumbo grips - not sure about that.

And how to fix the weak right hand?

I'd appreciate your thoughts and help!

Regards

Christian

P.S.: Excuse the language - I am German. ;)

When you say you were "fitted" for smaller grips are you referred to Ping's recommendations based on hand measurements or did you test out the smaller grips by hitting balls. If the former, you probably should just go back to Jumbo grips because hand measurements and only somewhat relevant to your ideal grip size. If it was the latter and the fitter saw an issue with how you hold the club because of their size I would suggest you stick with it. You'll learn to be comfortable with it fairly quickly. I've done a lot of experimenting with grip sizes and it only takes a few weeks before it feels completely normal.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What do you guys think about it?

And how to fix the weak right hand?

Moved your post to this thread so check out the first post for how to get the right hand better. The midsize grip seems to fit you better than the jumbo.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

@mvmac : many thanks.

@SavvySwede : he measured my hands and referred to PING's recommendations, yes. I must admit though that it is easier to grip the club more neutral with the midsize grips and hold on to the club with the fingers. With the jumbo grip I have to really work the heel pad and hold on to the club with the strength of my fingers.

Nevertheless - the grips are not the reason for my right hand movements. I will check the first page as suggested.

I normally play with a very strong grip. I've played with it so long that it has just become natural. My ball flight is a slight draw but I have had inconsistency issues and would have an occasional hook from time to time. My last outing, someone suggested that I switch to a more neutral grip and I figured I give it a try. My mid to short iron game is ok after switching my grip, but it has been very difficult to keep my long irons and drives straight off the tee. Nothing is more frustrating than missing to the right with a slice and its making me go nuts!

Should I just go back to my original strong grip or work out the kinks with a more neutral grip???

I normally play with a very strong grip. I've played with it so long that it has just become natural. My ball flight is a slight draw but I have had inconsistency issues and would have an occasional hook from time to time. My last outing, someone suggested that I switch to a more neutral grip and I figured I give it a try. My mid to short iron game is ok after switching my grip, but it has been very difficult to keep my long irons and drives straight off the tee. Nothing is more frustrating than missing to the right with a slice and its making me go nuts!

Should I just go back to my original strong grip or work out the kinks with a more neutral grip???

Maybe something between strong and neutral. I moved your post to this thread, check out the first post, think it will help.

Mike McLoughlin

I followed your instructions - still: when I put the club behind the ball my right hand starts turning towards the target, therefore becomes too weak. Must be a mental issue?!

I followed your instructions - still: when I put the club behind the ball my right hand starts turning towards the target, therefore becomes too weak. Must be a mental issue?!

Are you then turning the clubface over as well, or just sitting your hand more overtop?

If your left hand is on correctly then the right hand just fits where it should. The side of the left thumb just sits right along the life line of the right hand.

It could just be that you are use to seeing the right hand more over top of the club.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Hand more on top. The club face isn't actually closing, even though the clubs tends to turn a bit over to my left side pre-swinging. To compensate the my subconscious feeling I tend to forward-lean the club ... which makes my right hand coming over even more. The result is a massive hook.

The right hand start turning towards the target but the face isn't closing?

So the right hand is "sliding" along the top of the left hand?

I'd suggest posting a swing video, there's more going on than just the grip if you're hitting a massive hook.

http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

Mike McLoughlin

I asked my girl to take a snapshot of my grip - that's the result. Haha. More coming later on today. I will try to find someone taking a video of my swing too. I switched back to GP Tour Velvet midsize grips yesterday. They look tiny in my hands, but feel good. Because I am used to jumbo grips, the midsize grips give me a completely new feeling. I can rotate my hands better, feel the club through impact - at the same everything feels too loose sometimes.

I asked my girl to take a snapshot of my grip - that's the result. Haha. More coming later on today. I will try to find someone taking a video of my swing too.

I switched back to GP Tour Velvet midsize grips yesterday. They look tiny in my hands, but feel good. Because I am used to jumbo grips, the midsize grips give me a completely new feeling.

I can rotate my hands better, feel the club through impact - at the same everything feels too loose sometimes.

Love the artsy silhouette and shadows. Your girl has an eye for composing photographs :-D

One thing you might also look at is this thread below on posture. In your outline I see your knees sorta folding inward toward each other. The experts here on this site (of which I am not one!) promote a foot flare, with your knees even pointing a bit outward, like you are riding a horse.  See what you think.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Many thanks for the feedback and the link - I'll read it after work. I picked up the "knees pointing inwards" thingy reading Ben Hogan's Five Fundamentals many months ago. Perhaps I overdo it? I always try to apply some pressure onto the inside of my right foot. If I stop doing so I start going to far right in my backswing and I start hitting fat shots. I will work on it!

• 4 weeks later...

Soooo can anyone tell me why I am getting this blister now? Has popped up in each range session or round this summer. Grips were new last season. I always use the same type of glove. I recently replaced mine, but problem occurred before and after replacement.

I can't help but think its coming back to my grip. I don't think I am doing anything different, but surely I am with this awful blister. Also notice the callous slightly above it on the picture.

Any advice/ideas? Really concerning because I can't help but shank it with this awful pain. I don't have the strength to grip is consistently because it slips through that callous. And yes, I have let it heal before. And yes, I have used ointment and stuff.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mvmac,

Great post I've been reading a lot of your stuff and watching your videos and they have helped me so much being newish to golf I've taken the plunge to play more often and my grip was pretty woeful always slicing or catching the ball fat. Following your video and the grip process I've managed to actually hit the ball straight :) well straightish I just lack in distance and slight alignment issues but I'm miles happier and the rest will be work in process.

I've added a few pictures to see if I'm on the correct path with my grip.

Thanks for the help.

Mark.

Hey mvmac,

Great post I've been reading a lot of your stuff and watching your videos and they have helped me so much being newish to golf I've taken the plunge to play more often and my grip was pretty woeful always slicing or catching the ball fat. Following your video and the grip process I've managed to actually hit the ball straight :) well straightish I just lack in distance and slight alignment issues but I'm miles happier and the rest will be work in process.

I've added a few pictures to see if I'm on the correct path with my grip.

Thanks for the help.

Mark.

With the right hand, get that first pad of the index finger more on the side of the grip. Also don't have a gap between the index finger and middle finger. Those two things are related.

Mike McLoughlin

With the right hand, get that first pad of the index finger more on the side of the grip. Also don't have a gap between the index finger and middle finger. Those two things are related.

Thanks

I'll put that into work this evening when I'm at the range, With the first pad of the index finger more on the grip do you mean on the top of the grip? also for the gap between the index finger and the middle finger I take it they both come under the bottom of the club but are squeezed together.

Thanks

I'll put that into work this evening when I'm at the range, With the first pad of the index finger more on the grip do you mean on the top of the grip? also for the gap between the index finger and the middle finger I take it they both come under the bottom of the club but are squeezed together.

No, not on top, on the side. Logo of the grip would be the "top". The first post in the thread goes more into all that.

Mike McLoughlin