IGNORED

My Swing (boogielicious)

boogielicious

Played today and had trouble with the driver again, four hooks and two pushes. So I filmed my swing to submit to my Evolvr instructor. The two DTL views are a high push and lower hook, or at least they felt that way. I put ribbon on the net to show launch angle, because I’m a nerd I guess.😜. They are roughly 15, 20, 25 and 30 degrees from the center of the mat.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

They are roughly 15, 20, 25 and 30 degrees from the center of the mat.

What is this “roughly” nonsense? If they’re not accurate measurements I’m going to have to ask you to turn in your nerd card.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

What is this “roughly” nonsense? If they’re not accurate measurements I’m going to have to ask you to turn in your nerd card.

The measurements are accurate, but the net sags a bit, so they’re +/- a half degree or so. 😜

Scott

My Swing Thread

34 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The measurements are accurate, but the net sags a bit, so they’re +/- a half degree or so. 😜

Sounds like you didn’t factor in that variable when you “measured” it 😜

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

The ranges are still not open, so I created a modified gate drill to help with starting the ball out to the right. I set up aiming at an intermediate target at the edge of my mat that aligned with the yellow strapping. This starts the ball about 5 degrees right of dead straight of where my toe line would have it. I think this will help me on the course. Hitting the strapping means the ball started on the correct line. The thin yellow cord is dead center for the iron shot.

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

I sent in a driver video to Evolvr. My instructor recommended staying the course and opening the face and playing a push which should draw slightly, which I have been practicing. Also, he wants me to focus on the steep at A3 to shallow at A5, A6 feel. I think maybe on the course I have been overdoing the palmar flexion at the top. Below, I’m feeing the flexion only in my left index finger then swinging out a bit and driving the swing with my right elbow. 

The ball launches higher with this alignment. I’ll have to do some MEVO work to adjust. I can lower the loft on the driver or playing with position.

I did the same for the 6 iron.

It’s getting closer. I will stay this course and work on that feel on the course.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Yesterday’s work steep to shallow from A3 to A5

Scott

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Shot a 41 with no hooks! Had three up and downs and only 13 putts with 5 one putts.

Finally, you see the light. Just going to leave this here as a reminder for you:

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Worked on driver and 6 irons drills today. Same punch drill work then full swing. Below are driver and 6 irons. Still have clubface control issues and will be working on that for a bit.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Worked with a little different feel today to help swing out more. From A4, I wanted to feel like I was driving the hands and butt of the club down toward the ball to about A5.5 and have the right elbow drive the arms. I also played the 3 wood just off my left heel to get more launch angle.

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Worked on less palmar flexion the last three days. Ball flight calms down and I had less hooks. Need a bit more work on this  

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

6 iron and driver working on the same feel, steep at A3 to shallow at A5. The sensation is the club head dropping down from the top.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Went to the range today and worked on setup and alignment. After feedback from @billchao and @jamo, I’ve adjusted my pre-shot routine to aim the club face slightly right of target, then set my feet open to the face so my foot line aims left of target. I kept my shoulders slightly closed to my feet as well along. I know the path will be in to out this way, but it seems to correct the alignment issue.

I practiced the set up and put the club along my toe line then stepped back to see where it was aiming. I also paid close attention to where the ball was relative to my left heel because opening the stance puts the ball back.

Ball flight then became higher and was a push draw or push and no real hooks, which is my miss. I think I will practice this for a few more range sessions to get it to sink in. I’ll go to different ranges if possible to get different looks. Today was at a covered range with mats because it was raining. I’m a little OCD about lines and symmetry and sometimes the straight lines of the mats or ropes at ranges can mess with me. I have to focus to eliminate them in my head.

Scott

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Went to the range today and worked on setup and alignment. After feedback from @billchao and @jamo, I’ve adjusted my pre-shot routine to aim the club face slightly right of target, then set my feet open to the face so my foot line aims left of target. I kept my shoulders slightly closed to my feet as well along. I know the path will be in to out this way, but it seems to correct the alignment issue.

Parallax messes me up a lot, too, as we talked about. I keep aiming my feet at my target instead of parallel left of my target. You hit a lot of "pushes" that were basically straight shots, but you kept aiming right of what you thought you were aiming at.

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I’m a little OCD about lines and symmetry and sometimes the straight lines of the mats or ropes at ranges can mess with me. I have to focus to eliminate them in my head.

You guys are weird. I see no lines at all. The only thing I do is aim the face, then set up to the club. I often pick different targets on the range and will stand at different angles to however the mat is lined up.

Lots of people seem to have this issue, though, so maybe I'm the weird one :whistle:

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I’m a little OCD about lines and symmetry and sometimes the straight lines of the mats or ropes at ranges can mess with me. I have to focus to eliminate them in my head.

I can easily out-OCD you on this times 3. Hell, sometimes it takes me 30-35 secs just get my visual cues sorted before I can pull the trigger. I am sure you know this but I think its a peripheral vision thing. I find a point from the corner of my left eye towards the target, may be the target itself to establish a larger 'anchor' to supercede close range mis-alignment. I have hit shots 40 degs to right when I loose my distant visual 'anchor'. I try to maintain it throughout the swing. I said 'try' a few times here.. lol. 

Edited by GolfLug
  • Upvote 1

Vishal S.

13 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I can easily out-OCD you on this times 3. Hell, sometimes it takes me 30-35 secs just get my visual cues sorted before I can pull the trigger. I am sure you know this but I think its a peripheral vision thing. I find a point from the corner of my left eye towards the target, may be the target itself to establish a larger 'anchor' to supercede close range mis-alignment. I have hit shots 40 degs to right when I loose my distant visual 'anchor'. I try to maintain it throughout the swing. I said 'try' a few times here.. lol. 

When I hit off mats I always have to square them up to the concrete base right in front of them.  If there's a deviation in that angle I'm all screwed up.  But then there's my friend who moves tee blocks on the course to suit his eye.

19 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

But then there's my friend who moves tee blocks on the course to suit his eye.

Squaring up a block is one thing but moving? Bit grey. Lol.

Sorry @boogielicious don't mean to hijack your thread..😊

Vishal S.

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

When I hit off mats I always have to square them up to the concrete base right in front of them.  If there's a deviation in that angle I'm all screwed up.  But then there's my friend who moves tee blocks on the course to suit his eye.

There was one tee this Sunday that I almost moved. It was pointing 30 or more degrees away from the fairway. We were staring at it like WTF!

2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Squaring up a block is one thing but moving? Bit grey. Lol.

Sorry @boogielicious don't mean to hijack your thread..😊

No worries. At least I’m not alone!

Scott

My Swing Thread