IGNORED

My Swing (boogielicious)

boogielicious

10 hours ago, billchao said:

Looking good, @boogielicious! How's the knee holding up? Back to 100% yet?

Yes. I dont even think about it anymore, which is nice.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

August 25

Working on keeping arms straighter after impact from my latest lesson. It is really the right arm that does the work on this. I changed my mat down here to a Real Feel one so I would be less harsh. I think I was getting a little timid about impact on the harder mat.

I’m holding the finish a bit short to keep the right arm straight feel.

I also needed a thicker mat to stand on, so I improvised with a boogie board.😜

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Scott

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I also needed a thicker mat to stand on, so I improvised with a boogie board.😜

Now you are definitely boogielicious 🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 4 weeks later...

Latest work. Focusing on keeping arms straighter through impact per my Evolvr lesson. Clubface is open and stance is open. Worked pretty well my last round where I shot an 81.

I also worked on pitching. Here is am focusing on the pivot driving the pitch. I’m using my 58 degree lob wedge.

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Working on lower hands at A6, which is also more lag. I re-watched How to Effectively Create Lag by Mike as a refresher as it was very similar to Stephan's lesson. Below, I am swinging about 75% and thinking about keeping my right elbow from straightening.

It was a frustrating session. I worked on slow swings for a while to get to this point. I've been having a lot of fat shots on partial wedges and short irons, so there is more work to do.

Then, I worked on a trouble shot. Fortunately, my driveway is not level, so I can set up a downhill lie. This one is above my feet too. I have trouble with these. Here I am doing what feels like a 3/4 swing. I have the ball forward and I am setting up on the hill slope. The ball comes out lower of course, but I made good contact.

Lastly, pitching in rough.

Pitching has been pretty good. Sand has been pretty bad. I took sand video, but the angle was way off. I will have to take more. I do practice a sand type shot in rough to get the feel, but it is not the same.

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Working on lower hands at A6. Making some progress but still have a bit of casting at times.  I feel like my right hand pushes a bit from A4 and I’m trying to eliminate that.

Below is a drill followed by two swings. The drill swing feels like 60%.

• Upvote 2

Scott

My Swing Thread

@boogielicious, when you're working every day on a specific area like this, can you describe how easy or difficult it becomes to work it in to your swing on the course? Do you have to think about it for the first few rounds or does practicing it on a regular basis allow it to become somewhat "natural" (for lack of a better term)?

Jon

10 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

@boogielicious, when you're working every day on a specific area like this, can you describe how easy or difficult it becomes to work it in to your swing on the course? Do you have to think about it for the first few rounds or does practicing it on a regular basis allow it to become somewhat "natural" (for lack of a better term)?

I definitely use it as a swing thought on the course. Lately, it has been 'low hands' and my practice swing is a slow emphasis on the A6 position.

Some changes are quick, but others take a longer time. For 'weight forward, it took my 6 months to get it where I didn't think about it. After a while, my Evolvr instructor asked me not to emphasize it in my practice swing because it was too much and I didn't need it. But when I warm up, I still go through the feeling. 

This change is tougher because I developed some casting last year when my left knee was a mess. I have to unlearn a bad habit. In my videos above, it is good, but sometimes on the course I have real fat shots and I know what caused them.

The other hard thing is to really learn to practice SLOW! Learning how to practice can take longer than the swing changes it seems. But have faith in it. Some practices, I don't even do a full speed swing at all.

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Regarding the slow practice, there is often immediate success when I’m applying a change at 30 to 75% effort. The difficulty lies in speeding it up. While that’s not as much of an issue when practicing, trying to apply the change to even a practice round on the course becomes nearly impossible. 

I can’t help but think I need to play a bunch of rounds at 50% (or whatever) so that the change I’m trying to make becomes the only thing I know.

Thanks for the explanation, @boogielicious.

Jon

• 2 months later...

Last day of 2018. A year ago, I couldn't even lift more that 5 pounds after knee and hernia surgery. Seems like a long time ago. 

Did a major redesign of my stance platform. the issue with the old setup was it not being level. This caused several issues, aligning the camera and the ball being above my feet on the mat all the time. So I started over.

To reduce weight, I used 1 x 2" poplar, which is light and strong. My mat is 1.5" thick, so I needed to make a well. I used 1/4" plywood for the bottom of the well and added 1/2" neoprene to adjust the height and give more cushion. For the top, I used 1/2" plywood and a thin rug. I had to do a lot of leveling because there is a 3.5" drop from the top right corner to the bottom left. Below are photos of the process.

Started the frame off for the well.

Frame.JPG

Shown here with the mat in it for sizing.

Well for mat.JPG

Then I had to level the frame. You can see the overall height I needed to boost the frame.

Leveling Side View.JPG

Levelling Rear View.JPG

I added the feet and now it was level.

Final Frame.JPG

I added the plywood top.

Plywood Top.JPG

The finally the rug. What isn't shown are rubbed pads for the feet and the neoprene padding. I used a bit of velcro to keep the mat attached to the pad.

Finished Rear View.JPGFinished Side View.JPG

The whole stand weighs around 30 - 35 pounds. I got wheels for it to put on the rear end if it was too heavy. But for now, I don't need them.

So this is what an engineer does on his Christmas vacation!😀

Leveling Front View.JPG

Frame Side View.JPG

Frame Front View.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

And now for some swings.

Driver and 7 iron face on and down the line. Focused on centered hip turn and transition feel in these.  Need to work more on continuing the shoulder and hip turn through impact. Notice how brave and trusting my neighbor is in the garage.😀

Please notice the World Series Champion Boston Red Sox headcover! I made a Yankee fan friend on mine use it for a round in October. 😜

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

5 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Need to work more on continuing the shoulder and hip turn through impact.

And some hip extension thru impact too right? Should help the turning. 

6 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Please notice the World Series Champion Boston Red Sox headcover! I made a Yankee fan friend on mine use it for a round in October. 😜

:doh:You Boston people are all a bunch of Prince Joffreys I swear! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Constantine

12 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

And some hip extension thru impact too right? Should help the turning. 

Do you mean from A8 and on?

And yes, we are insufferable when we win and miserable when we lose!😜

Scott

My Swing Thread

6 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Do you mean from A8 and on?

And yes, we are I insufferable when we win and miserable when we lose!😜

Yea, everything looks great up to impact and then the motor there seems to stall out and you have a lot of weight back at the finish. I'm not an instructor though, so I'm really just asking questions.

BetterUniformIrrawaddydolphin-max-1mb.gif

Feel free to have a Robert Downey Jr. reaction to my queries. 

And as a Jets fan, we're just insufferable. And if the Jets ever become a dynasty, I can assure you, it will be the Visigoths at the gates of a burning Rome. I'll put in a good word for you though. 

Edited by JetFan1983
  • Thumbs Up 1

Constantine

1 minute ago, JetFan1983 said:

Yea, everything looks great up to impact and then the motor there seems to stall out and you have a lot of weight back at the finish. I'm not an instructor though, so I'm really just asking questions.

BetterUniformIrrawaddydolphin-max-1mb.gif

Feel free to have a Robert Downey Jr. reaction to my queries. 

And as a Jets fan, we're just insufferable. And if the Jets ever become a dynasty, I can assure it, it will be the Visigoths at the gates of a burning Rome. I'll put in a good word for you though. 

Thanks. I sent in these videos to Evolvr and asked something similar. I’ll wait to see what they say.

Maybe if the Jets hire a coach named Alexander from Macedonia, they’ll have a shot! The young QB looks interesting though and TB is long in the tooth.

Scott

My Swing Thread

7 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Thanks. I sent in these videos to Evolvr and asked something similar. I’ll wait to see what they say.

Maybe if the Jets hire a coach named Alexander from Macedonia, they’ll have a shot! The young QB looks interesting though and TB is long in the tooth.

It seems to stand out more with driver. I'm probably wrong honestly. 

I try to ignore what the Jets are doing as much as possible. I know they'll hire some nepotistic crony. I have no confidence in them. 

Speaking of TB though, I need to get on that TB12 method and eat some avocado ice cream or something. I need some durability improvement. That guy's doing something right. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Constantine

Scott, whenever I have had a tendency to early extend right elbow through impact, I have had success visualizing a low hockey slap shot. Keeps upper right arm nice and snug through impact without stalling.

Happy new year!

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

Nice transition Scott, club is laying off at 4 nicely.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.