IGNORED

My Swing (boogielicious)

boogielicious

Got about 20 minutes of work in with the driver before I was soaked in sweat. Felt like I was in the Congo.

Here is the driver drill at 25%. I’m basically letting the right hand take over and relaxing the left wrist. They seem to fight each other. I want my right palm facing the start line at impact. This gets the radius/ulna line it the right place and flattens the left wrist. I also get the right hand on top feel this way.

I didn’t get a face on because the sun was at the wrong angle. My start line is the right rope, which is a push WRT my foot line.

Here I speed it up to 50%. I’m still in control of it. I pause slightly at the top to let the left wrist relax and right hand take over.

As I move up to 80%, I lose a bit of the feel. It’s going to take a lot of slow reps to make this permanent. This would have been a bit of a pull I think.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Scott, my few cents. Full disclosure - I am finding the same pattern in my swing and am addressing. See red lines. IMO that is EE by definition. I see your torso rising A5 to A6 - a steep hand/arm path crashing on to the ball.  This is why I think hands need to be lower and club shaft needs to be more parallel to the ground through impact - shallower. 

A great image to combat this is 'sweep' the ground with the shaft through impact with low hands and a more acute angle between forearms (especially lead forearm) and the shaft. You should feel chest pulling towards the target instead of wanting to extend away from the ball. Think of a hockey slap shot and how low and 'sweepy' the hockey stick is through impact. 

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

3 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Scott, my few cents. Full disclosure - I am finding the same pattern in my swing and am addressing. See red lines. IMO that is EE by definition. I see your torso rising A5 to A6 - a steep hand/arm path crashing on to the ball.  This is why I think hands need to be lower and club shaft needs to be more parallel to the ground through impact - shallower. 

A great image to combat this is 'sweep' the ground with the shaft through impact with low hands and a more acute angle between forearms (especially lead forearm) and the shaft. You should feel chest pulling towards the target instead of wanting to extend away from the ball. Think of a hockey slap shot and how low and 'sweepy' the hockey stick is through impact. 

image.png

I worked on this a bit this morning. I did one arm swings first. The feel for the right arm is almost like trying to throw a submarine pitch to get my right hand on top. I get your suggestion though and will try it. It’s just too hot here to practice for very long though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

@GolfLug, you might not be "wrong," but… a little EE is not in the top five things @boogielicious has to worry about, IMO.

And…

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg

Charlie, Hunter, Brandt, Adam, Jordan, and Rickie would like to have a word… 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks for the correction @iacas. Sorry Scott... Sometimes I lose context of things you are already working on. I've said this before but you have the patience of a saint..😊

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

I’ve sent these videos into Evolvr and am posting here more for documentation than comment, but feel free to comment. I’m am trying to be a stupid monkey here.

Yesterday I worked just on the driver. Efforts to get one hand be dominant haven’t been successful in controlling the face from the start of the downswing. I worked with a different feel of both hands rotating the grip counter-clockwise together. I can do this in my rehearsals. In fact, any way I try to control the face in rehearsal seems to work, but in the full swing, even at 50%, something I’m doing counters that.

Below is a 50% driver swing. In my rehearsals, I’m rotating the face closed. At A6, the face is pointing down more towards the ground. But in the swing, it starts to close at transition, but somewhere between A5 and A6, the closing either stops or rotates the other way a bit.

Here are some stills. Rehearsal looks promising.

622A548D-98B0-4A46-A8F2-03C9ECE217BC.jpeg

62F8F53C-1DD0-4DB3-A6F9-C16E31E6CF6C.jpeg

But with even a 50% swing, it opens back up. 

21A54F4A-DAD1-448B-83D9-A906EF7155AB.jpeg

2638AA18-1C55-4602-87C1-714638A5AA14.jpeg

And what is frustrating me is I cannot feel it happening. I only can feel it at very slow swings, which I do at the start of every session. Something I am doing differently in the full swing has taken control. I am fully focused on this piece as my priority too.

Impact looks better with the. Radius/ulna line looks better at impact, but I don’t feel like I have control of the face or that I can swing with power and have control.

69C12AD6-75FB-4FAF-84BC-0F5B2EF5EE84.jpeg

1A8DE088-94B5-48EC-936E-F52CB4051635.jpeg

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Exaggerate the crap out of it when you’re doing your drill swings. Hit pulls.

Get that ball to start left of the yellow line while still swinging out, like what @iacas and @david_wedzik were trying to get you to do in Erie.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, billchao said:

Exaggerate the crap out of it when you’re doing your drill swings. Hit pulls.

Get that ball to start left of the yellow line while still swinging out, like what @iacas and @david_wedzik were trying to get you to do in Erie.

I do that in the slow swings. I can get it to go way left. But when I try to swing to the target, it seems to revert.

Scott

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I do that in the slow swings. I can get it to go way left. But when I try to swing to the target, it seems to revert.

Swing to the target? Does that mean you’re swinging left to hit the ball left?

If you exaggerate it a lot slowly and retain the feel as you speed up, it’s going to naturally be less exaggerated. I think if you speed up and it reverts to your normal motion then either you’re changing the feel and not realizing it or you’re just not ready to speed it up yet.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

Swing to the target? Does that mean you’re swinging left to hit the ball left?

If you exaggerate it a lot slowly and retain the feel as you speed up, it’s going to naturally be less exaggerated. I think if you speed up and it reverts to your normal motion then either you’re changing the feel and not realizing it or you’re just not ready to speed it up yet.

I think its the later. But it is hard to play right now with the driver. I’m playing tomorrow with my wife and I’ll have her film my on course driver swing.

Scott

My Swing Thread

@boogielicious I made a quick video for you. I was going to say something but didn't really think about what I wanted to say before I started recording, so it is what it is.

I don't know if it helps or not but this is what I mean by exaggerate the crap out of it. Get that clubface to feel like it's pointing to the ground, but still swing out at the ball. If you're not doing it at 50% speed, I'm not sure the issue is the speed.

For me, the feel is more in my forearms than my wrists.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

What @billchaosaid...next range session why not try hitting some monster hooks, then revert to your swing and see what happens. You might be surprised.

8 hours ago, billchao said:

Get that clubface to feel like it's pointing to the ground, but still swing out at the ball. If you're not doing it at 50% speed, I'm not sure the issue is the speed.

For me, the feel is more in my forearms than my wrists.

Tyler Ferrell refers to this move as "motorcycling".

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

6 hours ago, Bob M said:

What @billchaosaid...next range session why not try hitting some monster hooks, then revert to your swing and see what happens. You might be surprised.

Tyler Ferrell refers to this move as "motorcycling".

I can hit monster hooks. Maybe that’s part of my mental block. I hate hooks. For me right now, it may be an anatomy thing per Erik on my Evolvr lesson. I have to undo years of the way my left wrist has been working. It may take a while unfortunately. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

@boogielicious how is it going? Has the Boston weather affected golf yet? 

Boston weather has been fine. I’ve been a bit busy so I haven’t practiced or played as much as I would like. I should get back into it in a day or two.

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

On 8/16/2022 at 11:00 AM, boogielicious said:

I can hit monster hooks. Maybe that’s part of my mental block. I hate hooks. For me right now, it may be an anatomy thing per Erik on my Evolvr lesson. I have to undo years of the way my left wrist has been working. It may take a while unfortunately. 

This has been a nemesis of mine for years! One thing that's worked for me is changing the picture by switching hands I'm focusing on. I've tried bowing my front wrist. I've tried the "two hand" rev, which always felt in the end like a front wrist move for me. I could successfully hit a range from pull-draw to duck hook, or revert back to block fades. But never center my dispersion cone.

Switching to right hand focus has been a revelation for me. Something like feeling like I'm coming from A5 down to impact driving my rear palm along the plane rather than my rear fingers. The effect is what's supposed to be the effect of the rev or left wrist bowing. But it's been much more effective and controllable for me. Maybe it's just because I'm super right dominant? Or maybe shifting the focus to a body part I was never focusing on before gave me more of a blank slate? Either way, maybe something to try...

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• 2 weeks later...

I started filming practice again. I got tired of the heat and humidity causing me to drip sweat on my iPad!

My game has been up and down. I feel I’ve made progress on a couple of pieces but have developed an issue of losing focus on the ball in the backswing. When I stayed focused on the ball, I make good contact and have good flight. When I don’t, bad things happen. So I’ve been working on that for the last few weeks slowing down the backswing.

Below, I’ve slowed the backswing down while still trying to work on my wrist piece. Here is a 6 iron FO and DTL. Path looks okay, but I am still a bit cupped at impact. For practice, I usually do slower swings to dial in the feel, but at full speed it tends to revert.

Same with the driver. My priority is to work on delivering the face close to the path angle and have my radius/ulna line point to my left hip at impact. I was very open to path before. On the course, I am getting draws and overdraws with some hooks and an occasional push now. I weakened the grip slightly due to the hooks. I still see some cupping here.

I think it will take all winter with slower swings to make more progress. I’m a little OTT with my driver too, which adds to the hooks.

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

My Swing Thread