IGNORED

Which of Golf's 59s was the Best?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which of Golf's 59s was the Best (major Tours only)?

• Al Geiberger, 1977, Danny Thomas Memphis Classic (-13)
    • Chip Beck, 1991, Vegas Invitational (-13)
    • David Duval, 1999, Hope Chrysler Classic (-13)
    • Annika Sörenstam, 2001, Standard Register PING (-13)
    • Paul Goydos, 2010, John Deere Classic (-12)
    • Stuart Appleby, 2010, Greenbrier Classic (-11)
    • Jim Furyk, 2013, BMW Championship (-12)

My problem with Duval is that the final round notwithstanding, it was just such an easy course.  The eagle on the last was a helluva finish though!

Well that's why I agree with you about Geiberger ;-)

Amazing what goes for an "easy" course on the PGA Tour. I walked it earlier this year and there are a lot of tough shots, you can't just hit it anywhere and be fine. I think what makes it so scorable for the pros is the perfect weather, like playing in a dome.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well that's why I agree with you about Geiberger ;-)

My problem with Al's is that it was played under lift, clean, place rules. I don't believe course records count under such conditions which takes it down the list for me. Same reason I can't list Annika's as 1, she played from the up tees which I also don't believe count for course records. Or, am I wrong on that?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

My problem with Al's is that it was played under lift, clean, place rules. I don't believe course records count under such conditions which takes it down the list for me. Same reason I can't list Annika's as 1, she played from the up tees which I also don't believe count for course records. Or, am I wrong on that?

Geiberger says he didn't remember taking advantage of LCP.

Mike McLoughlin

Duval.

1. Ball striking masterpiece.

2. Won the tournament with eagle on last hole.

3. It wasn't just a random good round, it was Duval in his prime. (He was #1 in the world at the time, correct?)

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I just voted for Geiberger as there were fewer lower scores the day he shot his 59 (1 65 and nobody else below 67) giving him the best "z-score" of all time on the PGA Tour http://grantland.com/the-triangle/where-does-jim-furyks-59-rank/ Being first and way better than anyone else that day gives him the nod over Duval (but only by a small margin for the reasons stated above).

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

It wasn't just a random good round, it was Duval in his prime. (He was #1 in the world at the time, correct?)

He became #1 in April of that year

Mike McLoughlin

Honestly, we are splitting hairs as they are all pretty incredible and it's difficult to accurately determine which one is better.  That said, if I had to choose one it would be Furyk and him for these reasons:

• The course was playing extremely hard that day and there wasn't anyone close to him.
  • The course was new for him and the players as Conway Farms wasn't on the PGA Tour rotation prior to that tournament.  So, prior "information" on the course; green speeds, green reads, shot lines, etc had to be learned that week and wasn't drawn from past experiences.
  • Many players mentioned that day mentioned how blown away they were that Jim shot that score and many mentioned that he must've been playing a different course.
  • He had a bogey on the front nine (IIRC, it was an unforced error meaning 58 was possible) and shot 28 on the par 36 back nine with a birdie on 18 to seal the 59.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I voted for Duval's selfishly because I got to watch it whilst he shot it. I was watching the broadcast and he just kept hunting flag sticks.

Michael

I think I have to go with Duval... The fact that it was in the final round to come back and win a tournament coupled with great ball striking and an eagle finish gives it to him in my opinion.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

All impressive.

The -13s more impressive.

My order:

1. Al Geiberger (mostly because he was first and the equipment he was using)

2. David Duval

3. Annika Sorenstam

4. Jim Furyk

I voted for Al because his is the only one where real golf equipment was used, on a course  that play's in excess of the listed 7,200+ yards and on a day with the temp. above 100 degrees.

sweeper

• Upvote 1

I voted for Al because his is the only one where real golf equipment was used, on a course  that play's in excess of the listed 7,200+ yards and on a day with the temp. above 100 degrees.

sweeper

Exactly why I voted for Al... :beer:

I voted for "most impressive" which to me is Anika. She is the ONLY female to do this. We have 6 males accomplish this but Anika stands alone in this regard. Watching ANYONE shoot 59 is amazing.

- Jered

Note: This thread is 3593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!