IGNORED

Which of Golf's 59s was the Best?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which of Golf's 59s was the Best (major Tours only)?

• Al Geiberger, 1977, Danny Thomas Memphis Classic (-13)
    • Chip Beck, 1991, Vegas Invitational (-13)
    • David Duval, 1999, Hope Chrysler Classic (-13)
    • Annika Sörenstam, 2001, Standard Register PING (-13)
    • Paul Goydos, 2010, John Deere Classic (-12)
    • Stuart Appleby, 2010, Greenbrier Classic (-11)
    • Jim Furyk, 2013, BMW Championship (-12)

• Administrator

Vote in the poll above, and give your reasoning in this thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Al`s. The first, and only one for over a decade. Much harder when it has never been done.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

I pick Annika for the following reason,

She is the ONLY pro female golfer to card a 59. That shows that it is harder for a LPGA player to shoot a 59 than it is for the PGA golfers. I think it is harder because men hit the ball longer, they hit the ball higher, they tend to have better short games as well. This is why it impresses me more that Annika shot a 59.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Al`s. The first, and only one for over a decade. Much harder when it has never been done.

Agree.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Paul Goydos because frankly, he has the shape and walk of a penguin and to shoot a 59 with that handicap is simply amazing.  Plus, he is the funniest of this group.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
  • Chip Beck, 1991, Vegas Invitational (-13)
  • Paul Goydos, 2010, John Deere Classic (-12)
  • Stuart Appleby, 2010, Greenbrier Classic (-11)

Goydos is out. Only a -12, and Stricker shot 60 the same day.

Appleby is out for "only" shooting -11.

Chip Beck is out because those were easy courses, and he gets no bonus points for being the second guy to do it.

That leaves…

Geiberger is in because he was the first.

Annika because she was the first woman.

Duval hit so many shots inside of 3 feet it was such a spectacular ball-striking day it almost defies the odds more than any other 59.

Furyk is in because he shot 59 on a day when 65 was the next best score and the scoring average for the week was over par .

I'm still thinking. I'll answer later…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'll say Al Geiberger as well because he was the first.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Al Geiberger, 1977, Danny Thomas Memphis Classic (-13)

Chip Beck, 1991, Vegas Invitational (-13)

David Duval, 1999, Hope Chrysler Classic (-13)

Annika Sörenstam, 2001, Standard Register PING (-13)

Paul Goydos, 2010, John Deere Classic (-12)

Stuart Appleby, 2010, Greenbrier Classic (-11)

Jim Furyk, 2013, BMW Championship (-12)

Goydos is out. Only a -12, and Stricker shot 60 the same day.

Appleby is out for "only" shooting -11.

Chip Beck is out because those were easy courses, and he gets no bonus points for being the second guy to do it.

That leaves…

Al Geiberger, 1977, Danny Thomas Memphis Classic (-13)

David Duval, 1999, Hope Chrysler Classic (-13)

Annika Sörenstam, 2001, Standard Register PING (-13)

Jim Furyk, 2013, BMW Championship (-12)

Geiberger is in because he was the first.

Annika because she was the first woman.

Duval hit so many shots inside of 3 feet it was such a spectacular ball-striking day it almost defies the odds more than any other 59.

Furyk is in because he shot 59 on a day when 65 was the next best score and the scoring average for the week was over par.

I'm still thinking. I'll answer later…

Good points- I am torn here also, but think Duval should get extra points for his being in the final round and winning by a single shot.  While Furyk's may have been better than Duval's based on overall course difficulty, the next best score when Duval shot his 59 was 64 (by Goydos & Stricker), so he was best by 5 rather than 6 that day.

For Geiberger, the second best score of the week was 65, so not only was he first, but his 59 was best by a pretty wide margin.  He said in his book that he didn't think it made much difference, but it should be noted that they were playing lift, clean and place that day (not because of wet conditions, but because parts of the fairway,  that he said he avoided, were in bad shape).

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Good points- I am torn here also, but think Duval should get extra points for his being in the final round and winning by a single shot.  While Furyk's may have been better than Duval's based on overall course difficulty, the next best score when Duval shot his 59 was 64 (by Goydos & Stricker), so he was best by 5 rather than 6 that day.  For Geiberger, the second best score of the week was 65, so not only was he first, but his 59 was best by a pretty wide margin.  He said in his book that he didn't think it made much difference, but it should be noted that they were playing lift, clean and place that day (not because of wet conditions, but because parts of the fairway,  that he said he avoided, were in bad shape).

Didn't know that about Al's. That disqualifies him from my perspective. I think it's Duval's since he came back and won the tourney on Sun with that round.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Duval because it was the last round and he won.  He made eagle on the last hole and won the tournament by 1 shot.  I think when he started the day he was 6 or 7 shots out of the lead.

Brian Kuehn

Al for me. Far more tough to post that kind of number with a balata ball that curves off line much more than today's modern balls.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Agree it's between Geiberger, Annika and Duval. I voted for Geiberger because he was first, he did it with balata balls and persimmon woods, course was 7,249 yards which is pretty long in '77 and the temperature was 100 degrees. Duval is a close second IMO; final round, laser like ball striking, eagle on the last hole to win by one.

Here's what Geiberger said about LCP

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2012/06/remembering-al-geibergers-59-on-its-35th-anniversary.html

Quote:
"We were playing improved lies, but I don't ever remember doing it," he said in a phone interview on the 35th anniversary. "As you came off every tee, there was a dip in the terrain where they had winter kill. But the fairways, where we were playing to, were pretty nice. I think the field staff didn't want to go chalk off every canyon. Most of the low areas that were damaged, we were playing over those."

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Agree it's between Geiberger, Annika and Duval. I voted for Geiberger because he was first, he did it with balata balls and persimmon woods, course was 7,249 yards which is pretty long in '77 and the temperature was 100 degrees. Duval is a close second IMO; final round, laser like ball striking, eagle on the last hole to win by one.

Here's what Geiberger said about LCP

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2012/06/remembering-al-geibergers-59-on-its-35th-anniversary.html

My problem with Duval is that the final round notwithstanding, it was just such an easy course.  The eagle on the last was a helluva finish though!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Duval because it was the last round and he won.  He made eagle on the last hole and won the tournament by 1 shot.  I think when he started the day he was 6 or 7 shots out of the lead.

This^

Lee

In My Bag... Driver:Titleist 913D3  3 Wood: Dunlop 16deg railer  Hybr:Titleist 910H 24deg  4-GW:Mizuno JPX825Pros

Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey 256-14  60deg: Mizuno Zoid   Putter: Odyssey WH Rossie (Left handed)

I'd give it to Duval. Furyk was impressive as well due to the fact that he had a bogey. Appleby and Goydos: Meh. Duval came back in the final round to shoot -13 and win.

Riley

Note: This thread is 3582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!