IGNORED

Do you know your distances. Really?

MS256
Note: This thread is 3369 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes, I get that it's attached to the cart, though as I carry my bag that wouldn't affect me. But my question remains - is it within the rules to use it in competition?

It would affect you here, there are courses where walking isn't allowed. Not that you'd want to. Some holes are 300-400 yards apart when they wind through houses and under streets.

http://www.usga.org/equipment/overview/Distance-Measuring-Devices-FAQ/

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a GC2 so I know my carry distances very well with both sets of clubs.

In my bag

Driver:      SLDR 10.5*

Hybrids:   Taylormade RBZ Stage 2

Irons:       NikeVR PRO 4-PW

Wedges:   Nike VR Pro 50* 54* 58*

Putter:      2014 Newport 2

Ball:          E6

What is weird is guys playing better than 5.1 golf are still winging it. I look at the GPS every time, there are holes at a few courses I play that are 10-15 yards off on the sprinklers. I am thankful most around here went to GPS carts.

I agree.  Though the course markers at my courses are essentially NEVER 10-15 yards off.  Maybe 0-3.  But yes, it's almost unbelievable that guys who play better than 5.1 don't know pretty much exactly how far their shots go.  And in fact are so clueless about their distances that they are at risk of airmailing a green when they know within 1 yard how far the pin is.  That's just ridiculous.

Of course, I find its weird that @MS256 doesn't have consistent stock shot distances.  I mean, how can you not just have a "regular" swing?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I agree.  Though the course markers at my courses are essentially NEVER 10-15 yards off.  Maybe 0-3.

It's just a few odd markers here and there. A few weeks ago my GPS lost power and was rebooting so I couldn't get a number. There was a sprinkler about 5 feet away that had a marker on it 101 yards. So I grab a club and made good for me contact. It lands short of the green right up against the lip of a bunker, it was way short, the bunker is about 10 feet from the green. Something seemed wrong so I stood there for a minute and the GPS lights up and starts doing it's thing and stops at 122 yards. I think in this instance the head marker was just engraved wrong or on the wrong head and nobody figured it out or cared enough to change it. Though the 150 poles at this course can be off quite a bit. Probably because some doofus thought it would be funny to move it. The same guy that drops marshmallows all over no doubt.

The real issue is some courses aren't well marked here. My home course has had GPS carts from day one and will probably always have some cart mounted measuring device. Finding a marked sprinkler head there is rare. If I see anything it's a USGA plaque, they even have them in the fairways there but just at even distances. You would have to pace it from pretty far unless you were right next to it.

Dave :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdl

I agree.  Though the course markers at my courses are essentially NEVER 10-15 yards off.  Maybe 0-3.

It's just a few odd markers here and there. A few weeks ago my GPS lost power and was rebooting so I couldn't get a number. There was a sprinkler about 5 feet away that had a marker on it 101 yards. So I grab a club and made good for me contact. It lands short of the green right up against the lip of a bunker, it was way short, the bunker is about 10 feet from the green. Something seemed wrong so I stood there for a minute and the GPS lights up and starts doing it's thing and stops at 122 yards. I think in this instance the head marker was just engraved wrong or on the wrong head and nobody figured it out or cared enough to change it. Though the 150 poles at this course can be off quite a bit. Probably because some doofus thought it would be funny to move it. The same guy that drops marshmallows all over no doubt.

The real issue is some courses aren't well marked here. My home course has had GPS carts from day one and will probably always have some cart mounted measuring device. Finding a marked sprinkler head there is rare. If I see anything it's a USGA plaque, they even have them in the fairways there but just at even distances. You would have to pace it from pretty far unless you were right next to it.

I think my "laser eye" could have picked up 20 yards difference at that range..................

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2512

What is weird is guys playing better than 5.1 golf are still winging it. I look at the GPS every time, there are holes at a few courses I play that are 10-15 yards off on the sprinklers. I am thankful most around here went to GPS carts.

You use it all the time? Over here the use of rangefinders and GPS is banned in competition, and I thought the USPGA rules were that rounds played with the assistance of a rangefinder or other distance-measuring device were invalid for handicapping purposes. Am I wrong about that?

GPS and rangefinders are allowed in the US and can be used for posting handicap rounds. Basically anything that is used to lower your handicap would be allowed just as things that would raise your handicap are not, like posting rounds you played in the snow.

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

Yes, I do.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I think in this instance the head marker was just engraved wrong or on the wrong head and nobody figured it out or cared enough to change it.

A course at Purdue figured out a way around this problem :-X

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

My 6-iron carry distance is 186yds 1' 4" ;-)

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

My 6-iron carry distance is 186yds 1' 4";-)

So what club do you hit when you are 186 1'1"??? Just cut it a little? :)

• Upvote 1

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Yep it's attached to the cart. Kind of tough not to. Also handy for refilling my beer order on the 8th hole when it displays the number for the bar/restaurant.

Yes, I get that it's attached to the cart, though as I carry my bag that wouldn't affect me. But my question remains - is it within the rules to use it in competition?

Virtually all clubs have enacted the authriozed local rule allowing electronic measuring devices as long as theyony measure distance.  The local rule doesn't even have to be in effect to use a round for handicap.  It is unusual for any club level competition to disallow them.  The Colorado Golf Associatin allows the for all of it's competitions.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Yes. Maybe. I think so. I'm pretty sure I know to within a few yards, both the pattern and the general distance range. On occasion, I'll come up surprisingly short or long, even in calm conditions. Like my last tournament round on Sunday, where I accidentally hit a particular green in regulation, much to my surprise (I was aiming to come up short). So what I'm going to do: next time (in fact, next several times) I'm in a non-tournament round, and I hit a shot in relatively calm conditions without a significant change in elevation, I'm going to use my GPS to measure it -- whether it's struck perfectly or not. I used to use this to record driving distances; it occurs to me now to use this for other clubs. I'll also be able to take advantage of course conditions to determine things: if I struck it well but it ends in a bunker, that might tell me a carry distance but not total. I'll make notes of this and see what I end up with.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Nope I don't. I don't have any irons. When I get them I plan to hit the track with 10 provs, letter/number each one and hit them all with the 6 iron. Make note of ones that were hit well and record the average of distance as the baseline. Then add or subtract 10 yards per club. I used to be dead on with my Ping I10s but I had mixed results with the MP33s. Some shots would go an extra 10-15 yards when pured.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Club

Loft

Yds

Cobra Bio Cell +

carry 250/270

Callaway Xtreme

Callaway

Nike VRS Forged

NIke VR Pro Blades 5

Nike VR Pro Blades 6

Nike VR Pro Blades 7

Nike VR Pro Blades 8

Nike VR Pro Blades 9

Nike VR Pro Blades PW

Nike VR  A

NIke VR SW

Cleveland LW

according to Foresight's GC2/HMT

Play in the early spring in the Midwest and you learn your distances fairly quickly (together with using a rangefinder).

Every shot, including a drive, either plugs, or makes divot and hops a foot forward.  (I assume nobody from the "How long is your drive" thread has ever played in these conditions. No more 270-290 carries haha).

This has definitely helped my game, as good as a GPS is, which I use together with a rangefinder, my distances were never dialed in as good as with me using the laser.

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

Play in the early spring in the Midwest and you learn your distances fairly quickly (together with using a rangefinder).

Every shot, including a drive, either plugs, or makes divot and hops a foot forward.  (I assume nobody from the "How long is your drive" thread has ever played in these conditions. No more 270-290 carries haha).

This has definitely helped my game, as good as a GPS is, which I use together with a rangefinder, my distances were never dialed in as good as with me using the laser.

Certainly.

In the spring, I routinely hit 210 - 220 yard drives.  Like you said, I can see the ball mark in the fairway.

In summer conditions, those drives can become 250 yarders.

• Upvote 1

-Matt-

• 6 months later...

Club

Loft

Yds

Cobra Bio Cell +

carry 250/270

Callaway Xtreme

Callaway

Nike VRS Forged

NIke VR Pro Blades 5

Nike VR Pro Blades 6

Nike VR Pro Blades 7

Nike VR Pro Blades 8

Nike VR Pro Blades 9

Nike VR Pro Blades PW

Nike VR  A

NIke VR SW

Cleveland LW

according to Foresight's GC2/HMT

Switched to Nike Vapor 3 (225 yds) -P, Nike Toe Sweep 56 and 60, and  Powerbilt AFO DFX TOUR Black Driver 10.5.  Distances within +/- 2 yds.

Note: This thread is 3369 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!