IGNORED

What Happens First: Rory Completes Slam or Tiger Wins 15th Major?

atb5079
Note: This thread is 1842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which Happens First?

• Rory wins the Masters to complete the career grand slam
    • Tiger Woods wins his 15th major championship

This poll is closed to new votes

My high what?

I see what you did there and I like it.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

THIS.

And anyone discounting Rory at Augusta I just don't get. His game is perfect for that course.

His results so far don't support this. As I said earlier, Augusta National suits a lot of golfer's styles. They are all long these days and the fairways are wide. Players with solid approach shots, great short games and putting will contend. Rory in his major wins played great golf but he does not always play that well. And there are a lot of great young players out there including Bubba who has only one less major than McIlroy. He will most certainly win another green jacket.

Without Tiger golf wouldn't be what it is today, its the domination that drew everyone in. Every time I go to a PGA event it seems as though the whole gallery follows Tiger. Name one guy who is as captivating????

Ask anyone the first word that comes to mind when you say the word "Golf".. I guarantee the overwhelming majority would say

"Tiger Woods"

Tiger = Icon

If Rory started winning majors like Tiger and passed him, he would be the icon. Frankly it's stupid to say otherwise.

Without Tiger golf wouldn't be what it is today, its the domination that drew everyone in. Every time I go to a PGA event it seems as though the whole gallery follows Tiger. Name one guy who is as captivating????

Ask anyone the first word that comes to mind when you say the word "Golf".. I guarantee the overwhelming majority would say

"Tiger Woods"

Tiger = Icon

Avatar is the highest grossing film of all-time.

"Witty golf quote."

• Administrator

His results so far don't support this. As I said earlier, Augusta National suits a lot of golfer's styles. They are all long these days and the fairways are wide. Players with solid approach shots, great short games and putting will contend. Rory in his major wins played great golf but he does not always play that well. And there are a lot of great young players out there including Bubba who has only one less major than McIlroy. He will most certainly win another green jacket.

To be clear, the idea that putting matters so, so, so much more than ball striking at Augusta National is wrong. Witness… Bubba Watson. The course is a ballstriker's golf course. Putting might take you from third to first, but it's all about the second shot (and if you can have a shorter second shot because of your long tee shot, great).

Rory's got the ballstriking skills to contend at Augusta. Obviously we've seen that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

To be clear, the idea that putting matters so, so, so much more than ball striking at Augusta National is wrong. Witness… Bubba Watson. The course is a ballstriker's golf course. Putting might take you from third to first, but it's all about the second shot (and if you can have a shorter second shot because of your long tee shot, great).

Rory's got the ballstriking skills to contend at Augusta. Obviously we've seen that.

No argument from me Erik. Correct placement of the approach is what Augusta is all about. Rory should have as good a chance as anyone to win their and I'm pretty sure he will but for some reason he has not been as competitive as he should be on that course so far.

As far as him winning their before Tiger wins another major, I still go with Tiger. Augusta allows many to be in contention.

No argument from me Erik. Correct placement of the approach is what Augusta is all about. Rory should have as good a chance as anyone to win their and I'm pretty sure he will but for some reason he has not been as competitive as he should be on that course so far.

As far as him winning their before Tiger wins another major, I still go with Tiger. Augusta allows many to be in contention.

Win their what?

:whistle::-P

FTR, anyone who thinks Rory winning 20 majors still wouldn't be in Tiger's league...was dropped on their head as a child. :-P

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

The reason Rory has such a good chance there is because he's long and plays a draw. This is why it also sets up for Phil and Bubba, although they play cuts. Tiger has struggled of late (well, struggled is a relative term), because he's no longer as effective a drawer of the ball with the driver so he goes to the 3 wood to draw it, losing valuable distance. I believe he's working on the draw these days and would think he'd have it dialed in by next April but we'll see. Rory doesn't seem to start seasons very quickly which may explain his lack of success there but with the 4th leg of the grand slam available and a major under his belt with Nike, I suspect he'll also be ready. Could be a great Masters in '15.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

There is at least one perfectly explainable reason for Rory's 2013 woes. The change from Titleist (I think he was with Titleist, right?) to Nike. It does not seem unreasonable that anyone might struggle for a bit playing new clubs.

Win their what?

FTR, anyone who thinks Rory winning 20 majors still wouldn't be in Tiger's league...was dropped on their head as a child.

If Rory (or anybody really) wins 20 majors the GOAT debate kind of ceases to be a debate.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

If Rory (or anybody really) wins 20 majors the GOAT debate kind of ceases to be a debate.

Meh, agree to disagree. There will still be plenty in Jack's camp. Just like some people will think Tiger is the GOAT even if he only gets to 16 or so...

Ryan M

It's highly possible haha. but it's the same as Kobe and Lebron, they could win 10 rings but can never be compared to Jordan[quote name="Slice of Life" url="/t/75936/what-happens-first-rory-completes-slam-or-tiger-wins-15th-major/90#post_1025361"] Win their what? :whistle:  :-P FTR, anyone who thinks Rory winning 20 majors still wouldn't be in Tiger's league...was dropped on their head as a child. :-P [/quote]

:titleist: 913 D3 9.5* Diamana 72g X-flex neutral

:titleist: 913 FD 15* Diamana 82g X-flex neutral

:titleist: AP2 712 3-PW S-300

:vokey:51-08/ 55-11/ 59-08 equal length shaft

:cameron: Select Newport 2

• Administrator
There is at least one perfectly explainable reason for Rory's 2013 woes. The change from Titleist (I think he was with Titleist, right?) to Nike. It does not seem unreasonable that anyone might struggle for a bit playing new clubs.

And yet people switch clubs and play with new golf balls and so on all the time.

Yes, there have been some high-profile instances of a player sucking when switching, but there are hundreds or thousands of cases where the opposite is true (or the player plays even better).

Meh, agree to disagree. There will still be plenty in Jack's camp. Just like some people will think Tiger is the GOAT even if he only gets to 16 or so...

Plenty already think he's the greatest due to strength of field and his other stats (PGA Tour wins, Vardon trophies, etc.).

I have them pretty close to dead even at this point.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's highly possible haha. but it's the same as Kobe and Lebron, they could win 10 rings but can never be compared to Jordan

Yep...but Tiger is no Jordan. ;)

Plenty already think he's the greatest due to strength of field and his other stats (PGA Tour wins, Vardon trophies, etc.).

I have them pretty close to dead even at this point.

Yep, exactly my point.

Ryan M

And yet people switch clubs and play with new golf balls and so on all the time. Yes, there have been some high-profile instances of a player sucking when switching, but there are hundreds or thousands of cases where the opposite is true (or the player plays even better).

Nick Watney is another who has struggled. Phil would be an example on the other side. I think Rory is a better golfer now, with the new equipment but I don't think you can argue that an adjustment period is generally required. Especially because he went all-in with everything in one fell swoop.

The debate will not cease but Rory will be the GOAT. That said, it's not going to happen.

Yep...but Tiger is no Jordan. ;)

Yep, exactly my point.

And Jordan's no Russell! ;-) See, it is a never ending circle!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

And Jordan's no Russell!   See, it is a never ending circle!

No...because nobody every brings up Russell when they're talking about the GOAT. It's pretty widely accepted that he isn't the GOAT...

Ryan M

Note: This thread is 1842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!