IGNORED

Are you ready for some NFL Football? 2014 Edition.

phan52
Note: This thread is 3238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes, but those guys are bona-fide pocket passers, Manziel is not. He has a strong arm and if he can fight his instincts to dart around and learn how to be comfortable in the pocket, he has a chance. I'm not sure he can win that battle and even if he does, don't know that he'll be as dynamic. Time will tell...

I don't think Russell Wilson (who's my favorite qb) id a bona-fide pocket passer. Hes a very smart player with a great team around him. I think he probably can be and will be a good pocket passer but he's not there yet.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a flag throwing fest last night and a football game broke out!  Best line of the night was John Gruden saying the refs were going to need Tommy John surgery if they keep this up.  Pathetic.  Looks like Goodell wants to make the NFL unwatchable.

They have to put a stop to that NOW, before the regular season. Basically, you cannot even touch the WR more than 5 yards down the field. Total hands-off. That's impossible...it's a contact sport. And contact happens on every play. In order to fairly enforce it they would have to throw a flag damn near every passing play.

And, of course, that's not going to happen. Which means the refs have more control over the outcome of the game now, as they can choose when to toss the flag.

Bad situation. They have to scrap this experiment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I watched a flag throwing fest last night and a football game broke out!  Best line of the night was John Gruden saying the refs were going to need Tommy John surgery if they keep this up.  Pathetic.  Looks like Goodell wants to make the NFL unwatchable.

They have to put a stop to that NOW, before the regular season. Basically, you cannot even touch the WR more than 5 yards down the field. Total hands-off. That's impossible...it's a contact sport. And contact happens on every play. In order to fairly enforce it they would have to throw a flag damn near every passing play.

And, of course, that's not going to happen. Which means the refs have more control over the outcome of the game now, as they can choose when to toss the flag.

Bad situation. They have to scrap this experiment.

It made watching painful.  I just tuned in because there was not much else on.  It looked like Pettine and Gruden wanted to do the "ice bucket challenge" on the refs heads (without tipping the bucket over).  Gruden got flagged too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yeah, I noticed that while the ref was in the middle of flagging Washington for defensive holding, he tossed out another flag for Unsportsmanlike Conduct on the Washington bench. Totally laughable.

Here's what's going to happen if this continues: You think Peyton Manning & Tom Brady will get the calls? Damn right they will. Think Johnny Manziel will? Damn right he won't.

They have to put a stop to that NOW, before the regular season. Basically, you cannot even touch the WR more than 5 yards down the field. Total hands-off. That's impossible...it's a contact sport. And contact happens on every play. In order to fairly enforce it they would have to throw a flag damn near every passing play. And, of course, that's not going to happen. Which means the refs have more control over the outcome of the game now, as they can choose when to toss the flag.  Bad situation. They have to scrap this experiment.

It's the wussification of football, follows the general societal narrative today. Yes, it's terrible.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

It's the wussification of football, follows the general societal narrative today. Yes, it's terrible.

Don't know if that specific rule change is wussification. I mean, it wasn't changed due to players getting injured. It was changed to see more scoring.

What pisses me off, as a Browns fan, is we got one of the best CBs in the game in Joe Haden, and our top pick was Justin Gilbert, the best CB in the draft. We got the capacity to have two shutdown Corners...and then the league goes and changes the rules; basically neutering that competitive advantage.

I think the way team are going to have to play this is, get right up on the WR at the LOS & basically smack them in the mouth at the snap.

Don't know if that specific rule change is wussification. I mean, it wasn't changed due to players getting injured. It was changed to see more scoring.

What pisses me off, as a Browns fan, is we got one of the best CBs in the game in Joe Haden, and our top pick was Justin Gilbert, the best CB in the draft. We got the capacity to have two shutdown Corners...and then the league goes and changes the rules; basically neutering that competitive advantage.

I think the way team are going to have to play this is, get right up on the WR at the LOS & basically smack them in the mouth at the snap.

So did they actually change the rules again this year?  The 5 yard rule has been in there for several years now.  And I agree 100% that it was not an injury/"wussification" thing, but a "lets make it really easy for Peyton, Tom, Aaron, et. al. to light up the scoreboard week after week" rule.

But it sounds like they made it even more stringent?  Or did the refs just get flag happy the other night?

So did they actually change the rules again this year?  The 5 yard rule has been in there for several years now.  And I agree 100% that it was not an injury/"wussification" thing, but a "lets make it really easy for Peyton, Tom, Aaron, et. al. to light up the scoreboard week after week" rule.

But it sounds like they made it even more stringent?  Or did the refs just get flag happy the other night?

Honestly, I don't know if they actually "changed" the rule or decided to enforce the current one more stringently. But refs are calling it entirely differently this year - the league announced a few weeks back that they would. Coach Pettine of the Browns even had his DBs practicing with boxing gloves on so they wouldn't grab the opposing WR.

At one point, I think it was 4 plays in a row with a def holding or pass interference on the defense last night. Come on. If it happened those four plays it also happened on the other 64.

Honestly, I don't know if they actually "changed" the rule or decided to enforce the current one more stringently. But refs are calling it entirely differently this year - the league announced a few weeks back that they would. Coach Pettine of the Browns even had his DBs practicing with boxing gloves on so they wouldn't grab the opposing WR.

At one point, I think it was 4 plays in a row with a def holding or pass interference on the defense last night. Come on. If it happened those four plays it also happened on the other 64.

Oh joy.

Oh joy.

During that stretch of 4 flags in a row, I was able to finish two beers before walking away to go have a smoke. It was horrible. If this is where the NFL is headed, I am going to lose my mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipazoid

The five yard rule has been in effect since 1974.  It has been "re-emphasized" a number of times.  It works for and against ever team.  It just seems that Bad-dell doesn't like defense winning Superbowls.

http://www.sportsattic.com/araig/NflRulesHistory.htm

Sweeping rules changes were adopted to add action and tempo to games: one sudden-death overtime period was added for preseason and regular-season games; the goal posts were moved from the goal line to the end lines; kickoffs were moved from the 40- to the 35-yard line; after missed field goals from beyond the 20, the ball was to be returned to the line of scrimmage; restrictions were placed on members of the punting team to open up return possibilities; roll-blocking and cutting of wide receivers was eliminated; the extent of downfield contact a defender could have with an eligible receiver was restricted; the penalties for offensive holding, illegal use of the hands, and tripping were reduced from 15 to 10 yards; wide receivers blocking back toward the ball within three yards of the line of scrimmage were prevented from blocking below the waist.

The five-yard contact rule will be enforced more stringently.
Hits with the helmet or to the head by the defender will be flagged as personal fouls and subject to fines. This is being done to protect the offense, particularly the quarterback.

Bill Polian whines and they re-emphasize it again.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Seriously, if they enforce that rule in the regular season like they're doing now, they're gonna kill the game. No one will watch.

Yep. It's way too frustrating. It'll also eliminate awesome down-field play when you have guys like Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Josh Gordon, Andre Johnson, etc. when CBs and Safety's can't breathe down their neck.

Seriously - I can see Offensive Coordinators saying to the WRs - "Just slow up a little on your stride & let the CB run into you. We'll take the flag & the first down."

Manziel starts as the backup. He'll be starting by mid-season.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Manziel starts as the backup. He'll be starting by mid-season.

Twitter chatter is saying Hoyer starts until the bye week (week 4), then it's Johnny's show.

That's not what the Browns are saying, just to be clear. But if they come out of the gate 0-3 (which they could, they open at Pitts then home against New Orleans & Baltimore), fans will be screaming for Manziel. Just how it is in Cleveland.

NFL history is littered with promising young QB who were destroyed because they started too soon.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!