IGNORED

Are you ready for some NFL Football? 2014 Edition.

phan52
Note: This thread is 3238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

NFL history is littered with promising young QB who were destroyed because they started too soon.

care to name some?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gabbert, Carr, Young, Clausen, Leinhart, McCoy.

Tim Couch. Don't laugh - he was a good QB. His misfortune was being drafted by a horrible expansion team & started the 2nd game.

I think about this at times. Peyton Manning was the #1 pick in 1998. Couch in 1999. If those two were simply reversed, Couch in 1998 & Manning in 1999...Manning would have been out of the league 10 years ago with injuries & Couch would have - at least - gotten the Colts into the playoffs. Not saying Couch was as good as Manning, but he had absolutely no chance for success due to being drafted by the Browns.

I don't think sitting changes much of anything. Their either good enough to play in the nfl or they aren't. Kids now are preparing to be NFL qb's from the time they are big enough to throw a ball.Some guys just can't handle that level.

Tim Couch. Don't laugh - he was a good QB. His misfortune was being drafted by a horrible expansion team & started the 2nd game.  I think about this at times. Peyton Manning was the #1 pick in 1998. Couch in 1999. If those two were simply reversed, Couch in 1998 & Manning in 1999...Manning would have been out of the league 10 years ago with injuries & Couch would have - at least - gotten the Colts into the playoffs. Not saying Couch was as good as Manning, but he had absolutely no chance for success due to being drafted by the Browns.

I completely disagree with that. Its not like either franchise was in a great situation when those guys were drafted. Great players succeed. Did the Brown's have more bad decisions than the colts of course but that doesn't mean couch would have done anything with another team.

I completely disagree with that. Its not like either franchise was in a great situation when those guys were drafted. Great players succeed. Did the Brown's have more bad decisions than the colts of course but that doesn't mean couch would have done anything with another team.

A quick check of the sack stats for each -

In Couch's first year (1999), he was sacked 56 times. In 5 years, 166 times.

In Manning's first year (1998) he was sacked 22 times. In 5 years, 108 times.

And Couch was hurt in 2 of those 5 years.

Can't be a great QB when you're lying on your back.

[quote name="zipazoid" url="/t/76052/are-you-ready-for-some-football-2014/60#post_1043508"] A quick check of the sack stats for each - In Couch's first year (1999), he was sacked 56 times. In 5 years, 166 times. In Manning's first year (1998) he was sacked 22 times. In 5 years, 108 times. And Couch was hurt in 2 of those 5 years. Can't be a great QB when you're lying on your back. [Quote] Aaron Rodgers was sacked 202 times in his first 5 seasons and had a super bowl ring and an MVP. So apparently some people can be great while lying on their back.

Yes. And he also sat for 3 years behind Favre, which gets back to the original point that you can't rush QBs into play.

That has nothing to do with couch not being able to play in the NFL. You said if you are lying on your back you cant be great i disagree. I also disagree that qb's have to sit. Wilson was ready Luck was ready Peyton was Eli was Big Ben Matt Ryan. How many do you want me to name.

Couch was unable to play in the NFL because he played for a horrid team with a horrid line. Period. Manning would have befallen the same fate had he been drafted by the 1999 Browns.

Your other points, fine. But I'm not the one that was arguing that you shouldn't rush QBs to play. That was other posters.

Couch was unable to play in the NFL because he played for a horrid team with a horrid line. Period. Manning would have befallen the same fate had he been drafted by the 1999 Browns. Your other points, fine. But I'm not the one that was arguing that you shouldn't rush QBs to play. That was other posters.

Well then why are you arguing with me.

Couch was unable to play in the NFL because he played for a horrid team with a horrid line. Period. Manning would have befallen the same fate had he been drafted by the 1999 Browns.

Your other points, fine. But I'm not the one that was arguing that you shouldn't rush QBs to play. That was other posters.

Manning knows how to read defenses and, while being a complete statue in the pocket, he rarely gets hit, let alone sacked.

Manning is a HOF QB and would have been regardless. Couch got hurt but he sucked. I am so glad the Browns picked him that year because it allowed the Eagles to take McNabb, No HOFer but a guy who gave us a fighting chance.

And I have had enough already of the mediocrity that is Johnny Manziel. What is it with the media obsession surrounding him?

Bill M

In my humble opinion NFL QBs are born with it, I dont know if you can teach it. You either have it or you dont and scouts dont know what it is because guys like Jamarcus Russell still get drafted #1 overall. Bill Walsh told the Niners to draft Aaron Rodgers #1 overall but the Niners decided on Alex Smith. Tom Brady was a late round pick, Drew Brees looks like a high school teacher for cryin out loud. There are exceptions to this but not many and the two I can think of now are of course #18 and so far Andrew Luck. You have to get lucky with a quarterback these days. I use my Niners as an example the gap between Steve Young and Colin Kaeprnick was the amount of time we searched for that guy.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Manning knows how to read defenses and, while being a complete statue in the pocket, he rarely gets hit, let alone sacked. Manning is a HOF QB and would have been regardless. Couch got hurt but he sucked. I am so glad the Browns picked him that year because it allowed the Eagles to take McNabb, No HOFer but a guy who gave us a fighting chance. And I have had enough already of the mediocrity that is Johnny Manziel. What is it with the media obsession surrounding him?

Well I don't think you can say for certain hes mediocre. Brett Favre was a beer drinking party animal in Atlanta. I think Johnny Football can be a solid qb if he really wants to put everything he has into his craft. He sure looked good against Alabama twice and that's the closest to an NFL D he was going to see in college. The challenge for him learning to be more like Russell Wilson when he leaves the pocket and less like RG3.

Well Carr had promise but got ****ed by his line.

I think Carr wakes up with cold sweats and nightmares of being sacked most nights at 3AM.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 3238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!