IGNORED

Joost Luiten

Silent
Note: This thread is 1767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, Silent said:

Luiten 61st on the world ranking now, top 60 goes to US Open if I'm not mistaken

To my knowledge, this is incorrect. Only top 50 owgr and top 5 European tour.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

40 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

To my knowledge, this is incorrect. Only top 50 owgr and top 5 European tour.

Hmm, in that case Wikipedia is incorrect en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Open_(golf)

I hope not. Anyone here knows for sure?

~Jorrit

19 minutes ago, Silent said:

Hmm, in that case Wikipedia is incorrect en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Open_(golf)

I hope not. Anyone here knows for sure?

We'll know more Wednesday.

http://www.usopen.com/en_US/news/qualifying/exemptions.html

Preliminary details on exempt players in the field for the 116th U.S. Open Championship will be provided following the close of U.S. Open entries on Wednesday, April 27. Please check back shortly after that date.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Also on the PGA Tour website http://www.pgatour.com/fantasy/major-qualifiers.html it's says for the US Open top 60 OWGR. The Open Championship however is top 50 at the same date (May 23rd). Either way work to do for Luiten, if he still has hopes for the Ryder Cup he needs to play there ánd get good results. Long shot.

U.S. OPEN (2) @ Oakmont Country Club – June 16-19
• Winner of THE PLAYERS (May 15).
• Top 60 from World Ranking on May 23.
• Sectional qualifying -- Japan (May 23).
• Winner of the BMW PGA Championship (May 29).
• Sectional qualifying -- England (May 30).
• Sectional qualifying (10 sites) -- U.S. (June 6).
• Top 60 from World Ranking on June 13.
• Special exemptions per USGA Executive Committee.

OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP (3) @ Royal Troon Golf Club – July 14-17
• Winner of THE PLAYERS (May 15).
• Top 50 from World Ranking on May 23.
• Top 4, not otherwise exempt, inside the top 12 at the Mizuno Open on Japan Golf Tour (May 29).
• Winner of BMW PGA Championship (May 29).
• Top 2, not otherwise exempt, from Order of Merit on Japan Golf Tour ending with Japan Golf Tour Championship. (June 5).
• Top finisher, not otherwise exempt, inside the top five at the Nordea Masters (June 5).
• Top 4, not otherwise exempt, inside the top 12 at the FedEx St. Jude Classic (June 12).
• Winner of British Amateur (June 18). [Must remain an amateur to compete.]
• Winner of U.S. Open (June 19).
• Top 5 and ties, not otherwise exempt, inside Top 20 in Race to Dubai thru BMW International Open (June 26).
• Top 4, not otherwise exempt, inside the top 12 at the Quicken Loans National (June 26).
• Top 5 and ties, not otherwise exempt, inside Top 20 in FedExCup points thru the Quicken Loans National (June 26).
• Local Final Qualifying (June 28).
• Top 4, not otherwise exempt, inside the top 12 at the Open de France (July 3).
• Top 4, not otherwise exempt, inside the top 12 at the Scottish Open (July 10).
• Top finisher, not otherwise exempt, inside the top five at The Greenbrier Classic (July 10).

Looks like if Luiten is not in the top 50 for The Open, he still has some other possibilities to get there (finishing high in certain ET tournaments).

~Jorrit

Luiten close to a hole in one at the par 4 (!) 11th at the Volvo China Open. Ended up with an eagle

At the moment at -6 / T2.

~Jorrit

Luiten wasn't able to play three good tournaments in a row. After two 2nd places he finished just outside the top 40 in the Volvo China Open. Now a few weeks rest, and then he will play Irish Open ('Rory's tournament' for his foundation) followed by the BMW PGA Championship.

~Jorrit

• 3 weeks later...

The next 2 weeks Luiten will play the beautiful tournaments Irish Open en BMW PGA Championchip. A lot of points to gain there. In his schedule Luiten putt the US Open after that as well; he needs to raise (just) a few spots on the OWGR to be allowed to play there. With the amount of top 5's he's having this season it should be possible...

~Jorrit

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 9.06.06 AM.png

Joost will have to bump up past some stiff competition. Fabian Gomez, Jamie Donaldson, Martin Kaymer.  Plus guys behind him like Jason Dufner, Graeme McDowell.

I haven't been following much golf on the international scene but Jaco Van Zyl must be fairly hot on the European Tour, because I am not familiar with him. 

But a big finish like a top 5 in those events you mentioned can definitely bump you up enough to do it. In 2015, Joost went to the BMW PGA in 45th in world rank, finished 11th, and maintained his 45th ranking. I'd have guessed he would move up a tad after that.

A missed cut could really hurt him. He missed the cut a couple weeks before the US Open in 2015 and dropped 5 spots. I think he'll need good finishes and need the other guys listed above (his real competition for the final spots) not to do anything too brilliant.

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 9.13.38 AM.png

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Besides the points he (and others) can gain, you should also consider the points he will lose. Because of a bad 2015 year, Luiten loses less points (almost every week) than McDowell, Kaymer, Donaldson, Dubuisson, Lahiri and Kirk; all guys nearby him on the ranking. Meaning that if all of them have a similar result than Luiten in the next two weeks, he will get more points compared to his current amount of point than those guys will. Pieters and Dufner the other way around. Anyway, in some ways his bad 2015 helps him now in climbing the rankings. Either way he needs good result(s), a top 5 might do the trick.

• Upvote 1

~Jorrit

Well, this was one very bad tournament play from Luiten. Hopefully a good one next week.

~Jorrit

Luiten remains 65th on the OWGR (Kaymer went from 64 to 58 after his T5). Important week for Luiten with the BMW PGA Championship coming up.

~Jorrit

6 minutes ago, Silent said:

Luiten remains 65th on the OWGR (Kaymer went from 64 to 58 after his T5). Important week for Luiten with the BMW PGA Championship coming up.

Yep, too bad Irish open did not went very well. Lets hope he does well at the flagship event of the European Tour

Luiten still in the race for a top 5 he needs so bad. Looked like a dramatic day, but in the last couple of hole two birdies and an eagle. Going low tomorrow and that should do the trick.

~Jorrit

Bummer, not going to happen. His very good first round followed by three medior (to bad) ones.

~Jorrit

36 minutes ago, Silent said:

Bummer, not going to happen. His very good first round followed by three medior (to bad) ones.

Yep, plus two guys ahead of him in the world rankings (that he needed to bump out of the way) did well: Jaco van Zyl and Martin Kaymer. I think Pieters nudged him out too, so that'd be at least 3 guys he needed to gain on. Dufner having a good week too, so Joost really needed a special week or two.

So how's the long-term outlook on Joost looking? Are we entering twilight of career territory? He made it on the scene in 2007ish, I see. Dip in 2010, but back playing well by 2011, and has essentially been top #100 since. But does he have that next gear in him?

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 1767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!