IGNORED

Going forward I am starting a shame file. That's me personally.

Shorty
Note: This thread is 3489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Nothing about language bothers me much other than I do constantly correct my wife when she says "I seen it."

I figured out that English has been evolving for a long time when it took us a week to get through the first page of a book written in old English when I took English Literature.

Who knows, maybe some day the rest of the world may catch up with the advanced version of English we speak in the South. ;-)

(Joking of course).

I've had it! This epidemic has to stop.

This is going to be my shame file.

If you don't want to be in it, don't write things like this:

Personally, I have no desire to buy anything from TM,

If it's what YOU think, or what YOU are going to do, the "PERSONALLY" bit is redundant, so STOP IT!!!!!!! Please!!!!

Use "personally" only if people would otherwise think that someone else did it or thought it.

Eg. The manager of the plumbing company said that he PERSONALLY repaired the pipes, whereas you'd otherwise assume it would be an employee.

Anytime I see "Going forward" it's getting a mention too. These idiotic BS "business language" atrocities have no place in normal conversation. Use that term in a meeting, let alone in a frickin' golf forum and you've lost the respect of every semi-literate person around. There is nothing wrong with "from now on" or "in the future".

Going forward, I, personally, am compiling a list. I won't name names.

Shame me if you like for being a jerk or for any other reason, but FFS, it's out of control.

Agree on "going forward."  My wife works in the consulting world and I hear her say this ALL THE TIME.  She has a lot of other buzz words too, but I can't think of a lot of them off the top of my head.

However, I will end up in here before long because I use "I, personally."  I know it's not right, but there are times when I'm trying to distinguish between an opinion that I am applying to other people, versus what I think applies to me.  I'll pay more attention next time when writing it to see how much better it sounds without the 'personally.' :beer:

@zipazoid also already mentioned the most annoying and over-used cliche in the sports world these days, and that is "at the end of the day."  Can't stand that one either.

Speaking of obnoxious business buzz words, can we add "utilize" to this thread? Just use the word "use."

"Utilize" means to use something in a way you wouldn't normally use it. Such as, "lol, I utilized my screw driver to pick my nose just now lol."

Otherwise, if you're just trying to sound smarter by replacing the word "use," you sound like you're trying too hard.

FFS, yes!!!  I think this every single time I hear that word.  I don't think there is EVER a good spot for utilize.  Even in your example it just sounds like you're trying too hard.  Used still works just fine.

Another is more spoke, when the person keeps saying the word "like" before everything.

Not sure what "more spoke" means :-P but anyway ... On behalf of all Californians on the forum (and @jamo ) I just want to say: Like, **** you!!!!!!!!! :dance:

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use business speak all the time. You can really BWBS* quite easily if you know how to properly employ** the lexicon.

*Baffle With Bull Shit

**employ is way sexier than utilize. You're welcome.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

The most annoying business buzz word, without question, is disrupt.  As in, I'm gonna disrupt my swing process and leap frog to a new level.

In writing I overuse the word basically an embarrassing amount.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Organic.  In 1979, when I was in engineering school, it was in reference to a molecule that contained the element carbon. Nothing else. Then it became a fuzzy term from growing food without pesticides.  Now it has made it into business with "organic" growth of companies.  The business community feels it needs to have fresh terms all the time to sound smart and up to date. It just makes speakers sound phony.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

"As a matter of fact..."

To begin with, just say, "In fact..."

Secondly, what usually follows is anything but fact. It's usually a matter of opinion.

"The fact of the matter is..."

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

'To be honest'

Just be honest - then you can never say those three words again. I think people think this makes whatever they are going to say sound less critical or harsh. It doesn't.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

'To be honest' Just [U] be honest [/U] - then you can never say those three words again. I think people think this makes whatever they are going to say sound less critical or harsh. It doesn't.

My 14-yr old daughter prefaces every other sentence with "TBH...". Cute/annoying.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

With all due respect...you're a shit bag. Lol.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

'To be honest'

Just be honest - then you can never say those three words again. I think people think this makes whatever they are going to say sound less critical or harsh. It doesn't.

Reading this and it dawned on me:  We are walking a fine line when we are holding up conversational writing to the same standard of grammar rules as we do regular print writing.  These message boards are sometimes a lot closer to being like texting than they are essays (not counting @FarawayFairways :-P )

And when you're having back and forth conversations, especially ones that might involve heated discussion or arguing, then it's not only a good idea, but it's almost paramount to throw in extra words if they can help convey tone or mood.

Sometimes phrases like "to be honest" help paint the picture of the persons mood.  Maybe it isn't the best choice of words, but it is one that, I think, does sometimes help.

"Just because you say "With all due respect" doesn't mean you get to say whatever you want..."

Sure it does!

Duh!  It's in the Geneva Convention.  Look it up!

'To be honest'

"To be perfectly honest with you..."

No, please. Be imperfectly honest with me. I don't know if can handle perfection.

"To be perfectly honest with you..."

No, please. Be imperfectly honest with me. I don't know if can handle perfection.

I sometimes prefer to be perfectly dis honest. :-P

• Upvote 2

Since the Queens English is actually my second language, I feel if it was hard for me to write, it should be hard for you to understand ...

90% of the time I am on a "smart" mobile device that has a mind of its own.

Combined with the fact that I really don't care ... its a golf forum ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Since the Queens English is actually my second language, I feel if it was hard for me to write, it should be hard for you to understand ...

90% of the time I am on a "smart" mobile device that has a mind of its own.

Combined with the fact that I really don't care ... its a golf forum ...

We aren't worried about people who have trouble expressing themselves, are not native English speakers or those who are uneducated.

The issue is with people who use meaningless vogue terms like "going forward" (who is going backwards?) and clutter up their speech with phrases and words that shouldn't be there.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 3489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!