IGNORED

TST SoCal 2014 Fall Outing December 7th Empire Lakes

Note: This thread is 3223 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone interested in grabbing breakfast before the round? Maybe 8:30 to give us time to get breakfast and get to the course? If no better ideas surface, there's a Denny's nearby on Milliken.

Probably not for me, I've got an hour and a half drive and will be getting there around 10.

Just cancelled the second tee time.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone interested in grabbing breakfast before the round? Maybe 8:30 to give us time to get breakfast and get to the course? If no better ideas surface, there's a Denny's nearby on Milliken.

Me neither. I'll be aiming to arrive 10:15 ish. Hopefully they have a little grill or something tho and we can grab a quick lunch afterwards?

Have fun everyone. Should be fun.

My daughter's first interview is at 10:00am on the dot. Second one at 1:00pm.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

So how did the outing go? No winners or losers this time, but were there any memorable shots, holes, stories? What kind of shape was the course in?

So how did the outing go? No winners or losers this time, but were there any memorable shots, holes, stories? What kind of shape was the course in?

Let's see if I can sum this up quickly:

@mvmac and @Shindig suck, & @Golfingdad and @tristanhilton85 rock tremendously!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big C

@mvmac and @Shindig suck, & @Golfingdad and @tristanhilton85 rock tremendously!!!

I find this difficult to believe, as @mvmac was on the green almost every time we left a hole last outing in So. Cal. That, and the fact that he went first every hole , it seemed. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

@mvmac and @Shindig suck, & @Golfingdad and @tristanhilton85 rock tremendously!!!

Concise and to the point. I like it!

I find this difficult to believe, as @mvmac was on the green almost every time we left a hole last outing in So. Cal. That, and the fact that he went first every hole, it seemed.

I'm assuming by "suck" he means that Mike shot a 76 or something, lol.

Wait, were you looking for more than that?  Oh OK, fine :-P here are a few thoughts:

I had a couple of small complaints about the course, but overall thought it was a pretty fun layout.  The round was slow, which may have been partially due to some tournament that finished teeing off 15 minutes before us, I don't know.  They also had Oak Creek style "native areas" between the holes.  The problem, though, was that the holes were much narrower than Oak and didn't have as much rough buffer between.  That meant a lot of what most people would consider "unfair" lost balls.  (Well, except for those professional jerks who like to hit all the fairways.  You know who you are!!)  They also really tested you on the Par 3's.  A couple in the 160-170 range and a couple 200-215.

We ended up playing a small friendly game of fourball, cart vs. cart ... for the extravagant wager of a Snickers bar!!  Mike and Michael beat us 2 and 1.  Mike made a clutch birdie on 16 to go dormie and then Tristan and I could do no better than double bogey between us on 17.

Highlights:

• Mike birdied one of the harder holes on the course - Par 3 7th 200 yards over water.  (with a 4 iron, I believe)
  • I holed out a pitch shot from 55 yards on the 8th hole, par 5.  Sadly, it was for par, because I lost my tee ball in the aforementioned "native shit."
  • Tristan and I holed back to back 30+ footers for birdie on 15.

Lowlights:

• I shanked a 70 yard pitch shot (3rd on a par 5), turning a possible birdie opportunity into a scramble for double bogey.
  • Michael hit one out of the rough that went backwards.

Lowlights that were also Highlights:

• I pull-hooked my tee shot on #7 over everything onto the tee box for #8.  But even with a blind second, I managed to get close enough to the green to pitch on and make a putt for a par.

If you wanted in depth details: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/mvmac83/round/149952 and http://www.gamegolf.com/player/golfingdad/round/149917 and Tristans will probably be up soon.

To add to the low lights:

Nearly my entire round...

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Yes even though it was a small outing we all had a great time. Sun was out and the course was fun to play.

Look forward to seeing you guys at the next outing. Let's get back to our usual 3-4 foursomes.

To add to the low lights:

Nearly my entire round...

I'll point out that Tristan started a new job and hasn't had as much time to play/practice.

Mike McLoughlin

Yes even though it was a small outing we all had a great time. Sun was out and the course was fun to play. Look forward to seeing you guys at the next outing. Let's get back to our usual 3-4 foursomes. [QUOTE name="tristanhilton85" url="/t/76564/tst-socal-2014-fall-outing-december-7th-empire-lakes/108#post_1083430"]   To add to the low lights: Nearly my entire round... [/QUOTE] I'll point out that Tristan started a new job and hasn't had as much time to play/practice.

Yeah, I know all about that, and I've only taken 3 weeks off golf. :-D I plan to be at our next outing. Hopefully the schedules will align for many more of us. Best wishes for your new job, Tristan.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

So sorry I missed your event.  I was in Palm Springs for the GK end of year Casual Golf Outing at Indian Wells -- Players course.

Sounds like I am bragging.  I guess I am in a way, conditions were superb.  Hoping your event though went off without a hitch and you guys had fun!!!

Perhaps next time!

Vic aka Ringworld aka Community Director at Greenskeeper.org aka All Around Nice Guy.

So sorry I missed your event.  I was in Palm Springs for the GK end of year Casual Golf Outing at Indian Wells -- Players course.

Sounds like I am bragging.  I guess I am in a way, conditions were superb.  Hoping your event though went off without a hitch and you guys had fun!!!

Perhaps next time!

Next one will most likely be in February or March so keep an eye out. Would be great to meet you and have you attend!

Mike McLoughlin

Yeah, I know all about that, and I've only taken 3 weeks off golf.

I plan to be at our next outing. Hopefully the schedules will align for many more of us.

Best wishes for your new job, Tristan.

I will second this, wish we could have made it but work is killing me right now and have been pretty sick the last few weeks.

But will be looking at the next one to be there and see you all.

If you have any pictures that would be nice to see.

Tristan a new job congratulations.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Yeah, I know all about that, and I've only taken 3 weeks off golf.

I plan to be at our next outing. Hopefully the schedules will align for many more of us.

Best wishes for your new job, Tristan.

I will second this, wish we could have made it but work is killing me right now and have been pretty sick the last few weeks.

But will be looking at the next one to be there and see you all.

If you have any pictures that would be nice to see.

Tristan a new job congratulations.

Did you get over the ear infection? Get well, and rest.

I ended up being late coming back from the second appointment anyway. Just as well we didn't go to Santa Anita that afternoon.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I ended up being late coming back from the second appointment anyway. Just as well we didn't go to Santa Anita that afternoon.

Nope had a CT scan last week and seeing an ENT on Friday, taking way to many pain pills just to get through the day.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Nope had a CT scan last week and seeing an ENT on Friday, taking way to many pain pills just to get through the day.

Dude, I hope it's nothing serious! Good luck on the scans.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Concise and to the point. I like it! I'm assuming by "suck" he means that Mike shot a 76 or something, lol.

Just to clarify: +mvmac shot 74. I shot a 101, although I've been neglecting my golf for nearly three months. :-( But I got some swing video on Friday and submitted it to evolvr, so I'll be back to practicing and not sucking (relatively) by the winter outing. [quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/76564/tst-socal-2014-fall-outing-december-7th-empire-lakes/108#post_1083423"] They also really tested you on the Par 3's.  A couple in the 160-170 range and a couple 200-215. [/quote] Yeah, really. I hit my 3-Wood on two of them. Very happy with my safe bogey on #8 (which +mvmac managed to birdie, so I wasn't able to even claim that I helped my team all that much on it). [quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/76564/tst-socal-2014-fall-outing-december-7th-empire-lakes/108#post_1083423"] [U]Highlights:[/U] [LIST] [*] Mike birdied one of the harder holes on the course - Par 3 7th 200 yards over water.  (with a 4 iron, I believe) [*] I holed out a pitch shot from 55 yards on the 8th hole, par 5.  Sadly, it was for par, because I lost my tee ball in the aforementioned "native shit." [*] Tristan and I holed back to back 30+ footers for birdie on 15. [/LIST] [U] Lowlights: [/U] [LIST] [*] I shanked a 70 yard pitch shot (3rd on a par 5), turning a possible birdie opportunity into a scramble for double bogey. [*] Michael hit one out of the rough that went backwards. [/LIST] [/quote] Tristan and Drew's back-to-back birdies were fun to watch. My putt was in between the two, but closer to the hole (it was also for par). I watched Tristan to my right knock in a putt for birdie, and then Drew hit one that looked like the mirror image. Very cool to see. [quote name="hacker101" url="/t/76564/tst-socal-2014-fall-outing-december-7th-empire-lakes/108#post_1083662"] I will second this, wish we could have made it but work is killing me right now and have been pretty sick the last few weeks. [/quote] Wishing you the best on the recovery. I hope you're able to join us next time.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 3223 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!