IGNORED

When ball on path, can i choose 'nearest point of relief'?

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm having a bit of a problem understanding this. To me, if there is a tree trunk or bush at the so-called NPR 1 cl where you will be dropping no nearer the hole - to me you aren't getting relief there because you can't make a drop or take a stance. So please explain why that would be the nearest point of relief and not on the opposite side of the cart path further from the hole where there is no such interference.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

I'm having a bit of a problem understanding this. To me, if there is a tree trunk or bush at the so-called NPR 1 cl where you will be dropping no nearer the hole - to me you aren't getting relief there because you can't make a drop or take a stance. So please explain why that would be the nearest point of relief and not on the opposite side of the cart path further from the hole where there is no such interference.

24-2b/3 

Player Determines Nearest Point of Relief But Physically Unable to Play Intended Stroke

Q.In proceeding under Rule 24-2b(i) or Rule 25-1b(i), the Definition of "Nearest Point of Relief" provides that to determine the nearest point of relief accurately, the player should use the club, address position, direction of play and swing (right or left-handed) that he would have used to make his next stroke had the obstruction or condition not been there. What is the procedure if, having determined the stroke he would have used, he is unable physically to make such a stroke from, what would appear to be, the nearest point of relief because either (a) the direction of play is blocked by a tree, or (b) he is unable to take the backswing for the intended stroke due to a bush?

A.The point identified is the nearest point of relief. The fact that at this point the player cannot make the intended stroke due to something other than the obstruction or condition from which relief is being taken does not alter this result. The player must drop the ball within one club-length of the nearest point of relief, not nearer the hole. Once the ball is in play, the player must then decide what type of stroke he will make. This stroke may be different from the one he would have made from the ball's original position had the obstruction or condition not been there.

Edited by Rulesman

1 hour ago, DrvFrShow said:

Rule 24-2 guarantees that you will no longer have interference from the cart path after taking relief, but does not guarantee that you will have a playable position after you take relief from the cart path.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DrvFrShow said:

The point is to get relief from the cart path (or whatever), not to have a perfect lie or an unobstructed stance.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

To sum it up, taking relief from an obstruction or from abnormal ground doesn't hold any assurance of relief from any other condition.  I've played many shots over the years from concrete, asphalt, and gravel cart paths when the only "relief" at the NPR would be virtually unplayable.  

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Really, the place where people are getting hung up in this question is the word "choose." You're almost never making a choice; you're identifying the one NPR that is objectively correct for that particular situation. It's the one closest point in space that satisfies all of the conditions for relief in the rules and it doesn't care about whether it's a good option for the player.

Of course, once you have the NPR identified, you have a narrow range of choice of where to drop within one or two club-lengths, as prescribed under the particular rule.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

2 hours ago, dkolo said:

Of course, once you have the NPR identified, you have a narrow range of choice of where to drop within one or two club-lengths, as prescribed under the particular rule.

I can't find a rule which gives you 2 cl when NPR is involved.

Note: This thread is 3016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!