IGNORED

Flexibility/Mobility Assessments?

CBFore
Note: This thread is 3491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm fatter, weaker, and tighter than I've ever been, and have decided it is stupid to try to make major changes in my golf swing until I make major changes in my body.  I'm a data nerd and like to quantify/measure everything I can, and I'd like to be able to chart my progress in this endeavor.  Weight is obviously easily tracked (and body fat%), and strength lends itself to measurement, but what's the best way to measure my flexibility and mobility, particularly golf related?  If anyone has any resources or ideas, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance.

I'm fatter, weaker, and tighter than I've ever been, and have decided it is stupid to try to make major changes in my golf swing until I make major changes in my body.  I'm a data nerd and like to quantify/measure everything I can, and I'd like to be able to chart my progress in this endeavor.  Weight is obviously easily tracked (and body fat%), and strength lends itself to measurement, but what's the best way to measure my flexibility and mobility, particularly golf related?  If anyone has any resources or ideas, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance.

Physical therapists are able to measure range of motion in degree, like how far a person can rotate their head to the side from looking straight ahead.

Not sure if that is possible for you as an individual. I would say just trust your body on it. I can tell when I need to get loose in how I walk and how my body feels. I really don't need to measure anything.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In his book, Joey D has a few ways to measure your flexibility.

The book is decent and does a good job of explaining how to improve flexibility and why it is important.

His DVD has a better defined approach.  I have been doing it for about 9 months.  It definitely helps.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The book is decent and does a good job of explaining how to improve flexibility and why it is important.

His DVD has a better defined approach.  I have been doing it for about 9 months.  It definitely helps.

Thanks, I just downloaded his book yesterday.  Glad to know you give it a good review.

... Physical therapists are able to measure range of motion in degree, like how far a person can rotate their head to the side from looking straight ahead.

Not sure if that is possible for you as an individual. ...

You might take a look at the Titleist Performance Institute. TPI certifies health-care professionals to do motion analysis of golfers to get their "fitness handicap." A chiropractor took 29 movement and flexibility measures on me.

The assessment helps create a fitness routine which will increase strength and stability, or improve flexibility in stiff areas. You start with a bloc of 18 workouts, with each workout varying the exercise mix a little. At the end of the bloc, you get follow-up assessment.

TPI analysis pairs a healthcare pro with a PGA teaching pro to get your body and swing in shape.

I went through TPI two years ago, and made it through two blocs of 18 workouts. It helped my flexibility. (BUT, I roll-sprained my right ankle in December and am focused on foot rehab right now.)

The TPI site: http://www.mytpi.com/

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Not sure about your athletic ability but I have found Cross Fit to really help with my game.  I've been doing it now over the last 6 months and I'm striking the ball about 30 yards further as well as a lot better range of motion.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the book and DVD ... did the assessments in the book, and then DVD. The book assessment told me a few things. It's a fine golf workout, and if you have time, I would supplement it with kettle bells or some other workout, plus aerobic activity.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I have the book and DVD ... did the assessments in the book, and then DVD. The book assessment told me a few things. It's a fine golf workout, and if you have time, I would supplement it with kettle bells or some other workout, plus aerobic activity.

It definitely should be part of a larger workout.  I include weights and other exercises that I do for my shoulders and knees that are similar.  The Joey D part is about 20 minutes of an hour session.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!