IGNORED

Increasing Angle Of Attack & Lowering Spin Rate

Note: This thread is 3491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you look in the last part of that thread, I believe it has James Hirschfield showing the closed stance. Why? Because the ball position off the left toe can lead to a fade; if you want to offset the fade, close slightly. But I'd probably lay off the closed stance until you get the fade and either decide to keep it, or close the feet and compare. And when you address the ball, a common error is for the hips and shoulders  to still remain open even with a square stance -- so square up hips and shoulders (by closing them to a square position).

Great information Mr. D I will get to the driving range with a plan of attack. Thanks!

You're right on Mr. D I will be working on increasing AoA and lowering backspin. I'll use mvmac,s tips but why the closed stance?

Like the driver thread talks about, if your swing direction is 0 and your AoA is positive, the overall path is slightly left. So if you want to draw (or straighten it out) the ball with the driver and swing up you need to rotate the alignments a few degrees right at address.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Like the driver thread talks about, if your swing direction is 0 and your AoA is positive, the overall path is slightly left. So if you want to draw (or straighten it out) the ball with the driver and swing up you need to rotate the alignments a few degrees right at address.

I wish my AoA was positive! Most of my drives on Shot Analysis were left of center or target.

I wish my AoA was positive! Most of my drives on Shot Analysis were left of center or target.

How was the ball curving? Were they straight pulls or starting slightly right and drawing to the center/left?

Mike McLoughlin

How was the ball curving? Were they straight pulls or starting slightly right and drawing to the center/left?

Some started center then drew left, most shots started left with a draw. On the bright side the guy working with me said I did not spray my shots far off line.

Start hitting up a degree or two  [CONTENTEMBED=/t/44307/hitting-up-or-down-with-the-driver-in-an-inline-pattern layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]

One thing I notice about a pro swing on tour (driver) is that their backswing is more upright than their downswing. I'm gonna try that to decrease my backspin numbers.

One thing I notice about a pro swing on tour (driver) is that their backswing is more upright than their downswing. I'm gonna try that to decrease my backspin numbers.

It's not a bad idea, but you have to be careful to shallow out the driver on the way down. If it stays steep on the way down you'll be in trouble.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Yes you'll typically see the shaft point slightly inside the ball at A3 and then point at or just outside the ball at A5. Note that this doesn't mean that the hand path is "looping" out to in, more of the opposite is happening.

Mike McLoughlin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulligan Jeff

Yes you'll typically see the shaft point slightly inside the ball at A3 and then point at or just outside the ball at A5. Note that this doesn't mean that the hand path is "looping" out to in, more of the opposite is happening.

This is exactly what Stephan @sk golf is having me work on!

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yes you'll typically see the shaft point slightly inside the ball at A3 and then point at or just outside the ball at A5. Note that this doesn't mean that the hand path is "looping" out to in, more of the opposite is happening. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/105282/] [/URL]

Thanks off the A3, A5 pics going to implement this starting in slow swing mode and move up from there.

While at Golfsmith they tracked me on Shot Analysis hitting some drives. My angle of attack averaged -0.5 and spin rate averaged 3320. What do I have to do to improve in these areas?

I pushed 4000 with my driver last couple of times I was on a launch monitor. So at least you aren't that bad. @mvmac or anybody else who might know the answer, if someone's AOA is steep with a driver does that mean it will usually be too steep with irons as well?

James

I pushed 4000 with my driver last couple of times I was on a launch monitor. So at least you aren't that bad. @mvmac or anybody else who might know the answer, if someone's AOA is steep with a driver does that mean it will usually be too steep with irons as well?

What was your angle of attack numbers, between that and backspin they affect distance so much.

I pushed 4000 with my driver last couple of times I was on a launch monitor. So at least you aren't that bad.

@mvmac or anybody else who might know the answer, if someone's AOA is steep with a driver does that mean it will usually be too steep with irons as well?

Not necessarily, but I would probably say yes.

Yea 4000 is way too much. You probably want about half of that.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I pushed 4000 with my driver last couple of times I was on a launch monitor. So at least you aren't that bad.

@mvmac or anybody else who might know the answer, if someone's AOA is steep with a driver does that mean it will usually be too steep with irons as well?

It doesn't have to be and depends on what you mean by "steep". Sorry just tough to give an answer without much info. A player might hit down 3 degrees with a 6 iron but play the ball too far back or tee it too low with the driver and end up hitting down too much. So the issue isn't the swing, just some knowledge/set-up stuff.

If you're getting 4000 with the driver, part of that is probably due to hitting it off center. Were you hitting it low or towards the heel? That will also increase the spin.

Mike McLoughlin

If you look in the last part of that thread, I believe it has James Hirschfield showing the closed stance. Why? Because the ball position off the left toe can lead to a fade; if you want to offset the fade, close slightly. But I'd probably lay off the closed stance until you get the fade and either decide to keep it, or close the feet and compare.

And when you address the ball, a common error is for the hips and shoulders  to still remain open even with a square stance -- so square up hips and shoulders (by closing them to a square position).

This is a good point and something I never really grasped. I wondered why all the sudden when I focused on the correct set up for hitting up I was getting a fade. I'd aim up the right side for my normal draw/push draw/pull/pull draw *basically anything going to the left* and I would hit the ball on my line but then it would just tail off about 10 yards to the right. More recently I've focused on closing my stance and shoulders a bit more to encourage the draw and it's worked out a lot better.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

This is a good point and something I never really grasped. I wondered why all the sudden when I focused on the correct set up for hitting up I was getting a fade. I'd aim up the right side for my normal draw/push draw/pull/pull draw *basically anything going to the left* and I would hit the ball on my line but then it would just tail off about 10 yards to the right. More recently I've focused on closing my stance and shoulders a bit more to encourage the draw and it's worked out a lot better.

Ball Flight Laws! :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Ball Flight Laws!

I try not to worry about that stuff too terribly much right now, focused more on killing off my flip. However, I did make the necessary adjustments on my own before reading what to do, so I guess I applied the ball flight laws without realizing it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

It doesn't have to be and depends on what you mean by "steep". Sorry just tough to give an answer without much info. A player might hit down 3 degrees with a 6 iron but play the ball too far back or tee it too low with the driver and end up hitting down too much. So the issue isn't the swing, just some knowledge/set-up stuff. If you're getting 4000 with the driver, part of that is probably due to hitting it off center. Were you hitting it low or towards the heel? That will also increase the spin.

When trying to increase AoA should I be swing on a flatter plane or simply hitting ball on upswing?

Note: This thread is 3491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!