IGNORED

Increasing Angle Of Attack & Lowering Spin Rate

Note: This thread is 3513 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When trying to increase AoA should I be swing on a flatter plane or simply hitting ball on upswing?

No, you can have a more upright swing path and still hit up. What might feel different is the how wide the swing might feel. A steeper plan feels tighter. Hitting up might feel like you are casting the club out away from the body more.

I would say, try to imagine you are sweeping the ground about 2 inches behind the ball. Actually try to make drives were the driver actually brushes the grass behind the ball a tad. When I try to hit up, sometimes I actually drop kick the ball. It might be something you need to do if you are really use to hitting down with the driver. Exaggerate it in practice so it becomes more normal when you play.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When trying to increase AoA should I be swing on a flatter plane or simply hitting ball on upswing?

To shallow the angle of attack with the driver (hit less down, more positive AoA) I would first make sure you make two set-up adjustments.

- Play the ball at or just in front of the left shoulder

- Bump the hips a few inches forward

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

@Righty to Lefty helped me visualize some things with the video below on D plane:  I'm not sure how to quote this from the other thread but it helped me figure a couple things out with my driver as I was having some issues...  (PS... Thanks!)

Quote from @Righty to Lefty :

"The swings are the same but where they are struck on the swing arch are not. Shots struck off  the ground are struck with a descending strike and so the small fade with your driver off the deck equals and uncontrollable slice  when struck off a tee. Ballflight Laws and D plane will explain these differences. I have to go work on my clubs but I'll check back and if someone hasn't chimed in when I get back I'll explain further.

The guy has an accent but it is one of the best and most simple explanations I've seen:

Ballflight laws can be found all over this site so I'm sure you can find that information."

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Never really thought about it because I usually say positive or negative AoA but I can see how that could be confusing because more positive is thought of as increasing and more negative is thought of as decreasing in just about anything else I can think of.

To shallow the angle of attack with the driver (hit less down, more positive AoA) I would first make sure you make two set-up adjustments. - Play the ball at or just in front of the left shoulder - Bump the hips a few inches forward [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/105420/] [/URL]

Thanks mvmac I will make the adjustments in my set-up and swing away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Do you mean shallow the AoA? Increasing would be hitting more down.

To shallow it or hit up for the driver I would first make sure you make two set-up adjustments.

- Play the ball at or just in front of the left shoulder

- Bump the hips a few inches forward

Never really thought about it because I usually say positive or negative AoA but I can see how that could be confusing because more positive is thought of as increasing and more negative is thought of as decreasing in just about anything else I can think of.

I think @mvmac was referring to magnitude. So if one had a negative AoA, then increasing it would make it more negative. I agree that might be confusing, but it looks like Mike edited his post, so now it should be less ambiguous.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Y[quote name="billchao" url="/t/76917/increasing-angle-of-attack-lowering-spin-rate/30#post_1051918"] I think @mvmac was referring to magnitude. So if one had a negative AoA, then increasing it would make it more negative. I agree that might be confusing, but it looks like Mike edited his post, so now it should be less ambiguous.[/quote]yes right term should be improve rather than increase.

Note: This thread is 3513 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!