IGNORED

Putting miss on the high side!?

motsco
Note: This thread is 3435 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd rather not be thinking about pie on the green, unless of course the cart girl is around :w00t:

So who's going to post Warrant's Cherry Pie in the "what are you listening to" thread?

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So who's going to post Warrant's Cherry Pie in the "what are you listening to" thread?

all yours poon-meister, all yours.

:-$

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

The best putters miss high as often as they miss low.

Think about it.

Agree. I track my missed putts over the last ten rounds as hi/low, left/right and long short. I'm looking for 50% hi/low, 50% left/right and greater than 90% long.

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

I'm pretty sure that the only reason why they say the high side is the where the "Pros" miss is because they are more likely to read the putt correctly and putt along the arc instead of at the apex which will leave you on the low side.  But I'm pretty sure that they are always attempting to putt it directly into the center of the cup--that's how you get the lowest scores.

Randal

I'm pretty sure that the only reason why they say the high side is the where the "Pros" miss is because they are more likely to read the putt correctly and putt along the arc instead of at the apex which will leave you on the low side.  But I'm pretty sure that they are always attempting to putt it directly into the center of the cup--that's how you get the lowest scores.

That may be more anecdotal than fact.  I would like to see actual data showing this to be true.

Again, accurate putting requires (paraphrasing) the right read, the right starting line and the right speed (I read that somewhere :whistle: ).  If you can eliminate inaccurate reads and you practice starting putts on line, then you really only have to worry about speed on the course.

AimPoint works for the first one.  I trust my feet and I calibrate my feet regularly.

Good "Bead" drills can be practiced anywhere anytime.  A good one I do is place a ball 2 feet away on a flat surface and putt a ball to hit the other ball dead center.  If it gets too easy, then 3 feet.  Vary speed when doing this.  It is like playing pool.  You can do this right before a round too.

Speed drills are covered in a nice book I read.  Makes a great stocking stuffer!

http://lowestscorewins.com/

I also recommend reading these two books over this long cold dark winter if you want to learn about putting.

, by Stan Utley.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

That may be more anecdotal than fact.  I would like to see actual data showing this to be true.

Again, accurate putting requires (paraphrasing) the right read, the right starting line and the right speed (I read that somewhere).  If you can eliminate inaccurate reads and you practice starting putts on line, then you really only have to worry about speed on the course.

AimPoint works for the first one.  I trust my feet and I calibrate my feet regularly.

Good "Bead" drills can be practiced anywhere anytime.  A good one I do is place a ball 2 feet away on a flat surface and putt a ball to hit the other ball dead center.  If it gets too easy, then 3 feet.  Vary speed when doing this.  It is like playing pool.  You can do this right before a round too.

Speed drills are covered in a nice book I read.  Makes a great stocking stuffer!

http://lowestscorewins.com/

I also recommend reading these two books over this long cold dark winter if you want to learn about putting.

, by Stan Utley.

I'll add Extraordinary Putting by Fred Shoemaker.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Instead of saying "good putters miss on the high side" can we say that "bad putters miss on the low side"? I mean, of course not every time, but I see lots of hacks miss a putt by three or four feet on the low side and have no clue how much break to play.

Colin P.

Instead of saying "good putters miss on the high side" can we say that "bad putters miss on the low side"? I mean, of course not every time, but I see lots of hacks miss a putt by three or four feet on the low side and have no clue how much break to play.

Let's just say good putters miss less.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator

It's hardly scientific, but…

http://thesandtrap.com/b/the_numbers_game/network_tv_golf_coverage

The Pro Side

We've often heard that pros miss putts high. That side even has a nickname: "the pro side," as in "I missed that one on the pro side of the hole."

It turns out that the pro side may not be where you think it is.

I saw 95 putts in Sunday's coverage of the AT&T; National. Of the 95 putts, 48 either went in or were so miserable that I could not judge whether they'd missed high or low (usually putts that came up well short). Of those that reached the hole - or at least got close enough to make a determination, you may be surprised at what side of the hole they favored:

Missed

Putts High Low

----- ---- ---

9 1 2

2 0 1

0 0 0

5 1 3

3 1 1

12 0 5

6 1 2

0 0 0

7 1 2

6 2 1

3 1 1

8 2 3

1 0 0

7 2 2

7 1 3

4 0 1

2 0 1

4 2 1

1 0 0

0 0 0

3 0 1

5 1 1

-- -- --

95 16 31

The pros missed low nearly twice as often as they missed high! So much for "the pro side" of the cup. Granted, this is hardly a statistically significant number of putts. A truly thorough study would track every putt on all sorts of courses, on each day of the week, and off the putters of all players. All this tells us is that pros shown putting on TV one particular Sunday were missing low far more often than they missed high.

So, the next time you get jeered for missing on the amateur side, set your buddy straight. Tell him you missed on the same side of the hole as Jim Furyk, K.J. Choi, Tiger Woods, Mike Weir, and Stuart Appleby. Then tap in for your double and get on to the next hole - people are waiting!

I like my veiled pace of play bit at the end… :D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

It's hardly scientific, but…

http://thesandtrap.com/b/the_numbers_game/network_tv_golf_coverage

Quote:

The Pro Side

We've often heard that pros miss putts high. That side even has a nickname: "the pro side," as in "I missed that one on the pro side of the hole."

It turns out that the pro side may not be where you think it is.

I saw 95 putts in Sunday's coverage of the AT&T; National. Of the 95 putts, 48 either went in or were so miserable that I could not judge whether they'd missed high or low (usually putts that came up well short). Of those that reached the hole - or at least got close enough to make a determination, you may be surprised at what side of the hole they favored:

Missed

Putts High Low

----- ---- ---

9 1 2

2 0 1

0 0 0

5 1 3

3 1 1

12 0 5

6 1 2

0 0 0

7 1 2

6 2 1

3 1 1

8 2 3

1 0 0

7 2 2

7 1 3

4 0 1

2 0 1

4 2 1

1 0 0

0 0 0

3 0 1

5 1 1

-- -- --

95 16 31

The pros missed low nearly twice as often as they missed high! So much for "the pro side" of the cup. Granted, this is hardly a statistically significant number of putts. A truly thorough study would track every putt on all sorts of courses, on each day of the week, and off the putters of all players. All this tells us is that pros shown putting on TV one particular Sunday were missing low far more often than they missed high.

So, the next time you get jeered for missing on the amateur side, set your buddy straight. Tell him you missed on the same side of the hole as Jim Furyk, K.J. Choi, Tiger Woods, Mike Weir, and Stuart Appleby. Then tap in for your double and get on to the next hole - people are waiting!

I like my veiled pace of play bit at the end… :D

At least it is some data and not pure opinion.  Now do you have any study on the gravitational pull of Ray's Creek? :-)

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3435 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!