IGNORED

WSJ: Golf's biggest delusions

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Mathematical average is rarely a useful stat for the reasons being expressed here. Standard Deviation, Median and other methods yield much better results (for example removing outliers such as topped drives, drives into a hazard or even extra long drives down wind or in unusual conditions).

Remember that there are lies, damned lies and statistics. Numbers can be sliced and diced many ways to help prove whatever point you're trying to make.

• Administrator

I hear all the pro instructors on PGA Tour Radio (Haney, Dew Sweepers, McLean) all tout the importance of the short game. The logic is not everyone is physically capable of hitting a 300+ yard drive but everyone is capable of playing 100 yards and in so the focus should be on minimizing the shots that it takes from 100 yards and in.

I'd disagree with them. You simply can't practice that enough to make up very many strokes. You can't hole out 20% of your chip shots regularly, or make 30% of your 20-foot putts. They have a fairly low ceiling to how good you can get, and the average golfer is closer to that ceiling than they are to a ballstriking ceiling.

Logically, it makes sense, but I'd guess there's a skill level or age where return on time investment indicates the need to switch the training emphasis from long game to short game.

The ROI is exactly why they should spend more time on the long game. They quickly get into the area of diminishing returns working on their short game/putting.

Ironically, Erik has pointed out here numerous times that the ladies are not as good at the short game and putting as the men, so that would almost refute the quality of the advice, given the women aren't only hitting it shorter than men, their short game is lacking as well.

They're not good, but they're much worse ballstrikers. If we give the guys an A for all game categories, women are A- putters, B+ short games, and B- ballstrikers.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I didn't get that impression. They make a big deal about pros being better than amateurs more because of their short game than their long, which is definitely not in line with LSW or Broadie. And the article supports "drive for show, putt for dough."

Oy, you're right. I skimmed over the last part. I though it said drive for dough , putt for show and just skipped over the rest.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I've started to recycle all my golf magazines. I've proven to myself, that no matter how good I get at 100 yards and in, I'm not giving myself any chance at par or better with my long game.

Brian   

I've started to recycle all my golf magazines. I've proven to myself, that no matter how good I get at 100 yards and in, I'm not giving myself any chance at par or better with my long game.

You have to put yourself in position to hit those wedges with your second shot instead of the third one, then it really helps to have those 100 yard shots dialed in.

You have to put yourself in position to hit those wedges with your second shot instead of the third one, then it really helps to have those 100 yard shots dialed in.

Exactly! Third shot from the rough on a par 4, even if it is just off the green, isn't good.

Brian   

He probably means carry yardage, because I find it really difficult to fathom making consistent pars with a 235 yard total drive unless you are a "super senior putter" who never misses from 20 feet. . .

Based on my experience playing with all sorts of players, I don't think this is far-fetched as an average number. The average par 4 for amateurs is under 400 yds, even at 400, a 235 yd drive leaves you only 165 in. That's not an overly tough shot into the green.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Based on my experience playing with all sorts of players, I don't think this is far-fetched as an average number. The average par 4 for amateurs is under 400 yds, even at 400, a 235 yd drive leaves you only 165 in. That's not an overly tough shot into the green.

I have seen plenty of seniors play par golf, but they are usually like a 10-12 handicap. Playing to scratch means you pretty much shoot par golf (or less) every round on these more standard courses.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yep

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 3500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!